Top 5 Most complex NC smokes?

Finfan

ChestBeater
I've read lots of great reviews here and have read about some cigars that fall under the heading of complex, but wanted to ask you all about this. I'd like to try smokes that are at least considered complex by those who know more than I--to increase my chances of tasting different stuff. Im still learning and trying (very fun and relaxing process) and my young palate doesnt always know what its tasting. I realize complexity is irrespective of strength, so these may be mild to full. I did a search for "complex" and didnt come up with much to answer my question (at least in a concise way). I gravitate towards full bodied smokes--JDNA, anejo, but Ill try anything...Thanks all for reading and I appreciate any feedback.

I don't know about you but in my experience with NC's I haven't found any that are all that complex. Most NC's I've tried lack that depth and complexity that are found in Habanos. Maybe its just me but that's what I find.

The ones I've found that come the closest to my definition of "complexity" (however still lacking depth) are:
Graycliff Espresso
Certain Opus X's
Havana Soul (by Pepin)
Certain Don Carlos'

I don't find the Padron Anni's particularly complex. Good smooth flavors no doubt, just not complex.

LG Small Batch #1
Padilla Miami (the lancero is quite nice)
Padron 1926 40ths
Tatuaje (miami only with the Especiales, Cojonu 2003, 2006 and Grand Cojonu, Havana Cazadores and Tainos leading the way)

Don Pepin Garcia Black Label
Anejo
Padron Anny
LFD DL (strong but with complexity)
Tatuaje (brown label)

Of course everyone's taste are different but this would be my list.

I think that the Torano Signatures (chocolate, coffee, leather, earth, 7-year old Madagascar vanilla, etc.) should be included in a top-5 list but I'm not sure that I could compile a top-5 list because I don't actually rate cigars this way in my diary.

Consider Astral's Cameroons if you want an el-cheapo with a pretty full palate of flavors.

La Aurora Preferidos
Trinidad Maduro
Zino Platinum Scepter
Rocky Patel Vintage
Montecristo Le Cigare des Arts

I consider these cigars to be complex. Lots of different flavors.
Wood, earth, spice, pepper, bark, nutty, burnt toast, nutmeg and so on.

IMO I think a complex smoke tends to be a more meduim smoke

Complexity to me means the changes and variations a cigar presents to me as I smoke them. It is a difference (for me) between sameness and differences that occur as I smoke them. If after every couple of inches I notice different tastes, flavors and intensities, I figure the cigar has complexity.
So, for me, the cigars (NCs) I find to be most complex are: Habana Leon, Hirsch y Garcia, Havana Soul, Padilla Miami, Padilla Signature 1932, Tatauaje, Pepin Classic Black, Torano Signature (perfecto and Robusto), K. Hansotia Gold Edition, Don Kiki's Cuban Crafters Cabinet selection, Don Kiki's Brown Labels. I also had my first Fuente Hemingway a couple of months ago that was quite tasty but, maybe not as complex as I would have liked it.Please note: this is not my exhaustive list; there are many more I could list.
I agree though that they do not have the kind of "depth" referred to as Cuban cigars do but, some of them are not very far off that mark. :dr
But, in their own way, there are many fine, full, complex and tasty non cuban cigars worth the time and money to relax with :ss

I would say the Preferido Robustos, La Aurora 1495 corona, the Don Fernando by La Aurora, there is a Torano which I forget which one....the Padron Anniversarios (especially the principe), Don Carlos Robusto and a couple of Pepins.

galaga said:
Don't forget to try:

Pepin Blue label!!

I'll second the Blue label

I find the Gran Habano #5 (Corojo) pretty complex. Also Partagas Black Label, and Perdomo Reserve Sun Grown have a lot of complexity to them IMO :D

Thanks for all the replies--exactly what I was looking for. This gives me a whole bunch to try. I won a fiver of Pepin blue on cbid and am looking forward to that. I also have a Padron 1926 in my humi--this would be a first of 1926 and I havent had the 1964. So yes I have some homework ahead of me...

While not entirely complex in the sense that it changes flavor often throughout the smoke, I found the Partagas 160 to be a complex smoke. I had a robusto minor, and while (in my opinion) rather over-priced at $17 a pop, it was well worth it to try it nonetheless. It seems to have so many flavors at once...it might sound wierd, but I first thought of fruity pebbles when I would take a draw. :w Oh well, a delicious stick altogether.

Aurora 100 Anos
Edicion de Silvios from the original release
Opus Petite Lanceros, perfexcion 4's (at times)

Hmmm....I'm stumped.

I would not agree that Padron Anni's are complex. I'll probably get flamed for that statement but I'm sticking to it.

Aurora 100 Anos
Edicion de Silvios from the original release
Opus Petite Lanceros, perfexcion 4's (at times)

Hmmm....I'm stumped.

I would not agree that Padron Anni's are complex. I'll probably get flamed for that statement but I'm sticking to it.

How did I forget the Cein Anos.....d'oh. And yeah the padrons have lots of flaovr but I think you are right...not that complex compared to say the Cien Anos.

1. Davidoff Millennium Robusto.
2. Forbidden X (Opus X)
3. Cuban Belicoso Sungrown
4. Tatuaje Especiales
5. Camacho Diploma

Any of these have some serious complexity to them.

ATL

I agree. Good, but not complex.

The non-Cubans I've had that come closest to being complex are some Tatuajes and the Camachos when they first came out. I might also add the 858 SG to the list.

Back