Torano Noventa Santiago 5 x 50

jjirons69

Son of Evil Emperor Zurg
Being Toranosaurs, BD Stummer (Bryan) and myself decided to try the newest of the Torano family today. We found the Noventa Santiagos at Tampa Humidor for $5, plus free shipping. We were sold. After resting 3 days, the wait was over. Here's a little background:

The Torano Noventa cigar is a celebration of the Torano familly's 90-year tradition as tobacco growers and producers of some of the finest hand-rolled cigars in the world. The Torano Noventa is a blend made from the best 5-year-old Nicaraguan tobacco, hand selected by the Torano family from their farms in Nicaragua. The Noventa cigars are aged in reserve until they reach their peak, resulting in an elegant, rich yet smooth, perfectly balanced flavor in a medium bodied strength. This is the first all-Nicaraguan cigar they have produced and is entirely grown by Torano. Only 180,000 of these Puros will be made each year. This medium to full bodied anniversary smoke has incredible presentation.

Wrapper: Habano Nicaragua
Binder: Habano Nicaragua
Filler: Pueblo Nuevo, Esteli, Jalapa and Condega (Nicaraguan Regions)

The cigar looked great. Minimal veins and beautifully rolled. The double cap was solid and flawless. You could tell great care was taken with the construction. The smell was sweet and hardly smelled of tobacco. It had a fresh and pleasant smell. The cut was flawless and the initial draw was perfect, tasting of mild leather and wood.

noventa1.jpg

noventa2.jpg

The first few draws didn't have that spicy, freshly lit cigar taste. It was creamy and smooth from the first draw. The flavor was mild leather and a little woodsy. Hardly any tobacco flavor at all. No spice nor any bitterness. While not complex, it tasted great. Each effortless draw gave volumes of smoke. The nasal exhale was gentle and flavorful.

noventa3.jpg

The first third went by much like the beginning, buttery, creamy smooth, mild to medium, not very complex and a delight to smoke, even on my empty stomach. I had a cold beer with it, but could have smoked the entire stick without any drink, which is a rarity for me.

noventa4.jpg

Complexity built a little through the middle, but was still leathery and woodsy. It wasn't leathery like a Padron, but had it own unique flavor. There still wasn't any spice, just a smooth draw and creamy flavors.

noventa5.jpg

The last third picked up on complexity and flavors, moving to a medium to medium-full stick. All of them that were there in the beginning were more pronounced and lasting. The cigar never tasted like tobacco, which was neat change. It stayed smooth and leathery, never got hot or harsh, and got more enjoyable.

noventa6.jpg

Nubbing was easy to do and I hated to see it end. The flavor profile is different from all the other Toranos. I might compare it closest to a Signature for it's lack of spice and smoothness. It does stand out on it's own. It was a good deal at $5. I'd smoke them all day for that. At retail of $10, it's still a good deal for the occasional smoke and well worth a try. A++

Great review, and Pics. I am a big Torano fan, so that cigar is definatly going on my must try list.

WOW Thanks for the Review. I just got one in a Trade and I am looking forward to smoking it now. However I would like to let it rest a little. Even though I don't think it will. Almost out of my Daily smokes and have to wait a little bit before I can buy a few more boxes. So I am sure I will be itching for it within the week :)

James

That's a great price. I am one who thinks Torano is generally underloved despite making some really nice products - Signature, 1916 Cameroon, Virtuoso to name a few. When my budget recovers, I'll snag a few Noventas to try as well.
Thanks for the review.

I just finished mine about 5 min. ago. Great smoke. Just like Jamie said in the original review leathery, creamy and smooth with minimal tobacco taste and lots of thick smoke. I didn't really taste tobacco until the last 1/3, and even then it was minimal. It took me about an hour and a great hour it was.

Thanks for that review! I have not tried this yet, but since the Torano Signature is my favorite of the line, I have got to get some of these.

Back