Torch Lighter Question

Mindflux

Lowland Gorilla
This has been bugging me since I got my Colibri Triple flame, but now my new (6 dollar) Nibo Space 6 does the same thing.

The jets seem to 'flutter' if the flame adjuster isn't at near full blast. You can see the flame sort of dance, and hear the stuttering in the sound of the flame.

If both the nibo and the colibri are set full open, this does not occur. Both are using the factory fill of butane.

Why bother with an adjustment nozzle? When it's set to the lowest, I can't even get it to ignite. It has to be in the 90% or more open range for a somewhat steady flame to occur.

What's the deal?

IMO, it sounds like it needs to be purged. It sounds like it has air trapped inside which is causing the jumping around and not lighting at low setting. This is just my opinion, and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Mel

mels95yj said:
IMO, it sounds like it needs to be purged. It sounds like it has air trapped inside which is causing the jumping around and not lighting at low setting. This is just my opinion, and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Mel

Sounds reasonable to me. Unfortunately, you'll have this problem often; most torch lighters are problematic. Careful filling with higher end fluid is a good bet for longevity.

Yes, the butane quality can have a major effect on lighter performance. What butane are you using?

empty the lighter out completely... refil it ... empty it out again... this gets rid of all the excess air inside the lighter..... Clean the valves and relight after the lighter has warmed up a bit.

This should solve your problem... I´ve had the same happen to me in the past... I do this after every 4 refills and I haven´t had any problems since. ;)

shakespeare said:
empty the lighter out completely... refil it ... empty it out again... this gets rid of all the excess air inside the lighter..... Clean the valves and relight after the lighter has warmed up a bit.

This should solve your problem... I´ve had the same happen to me in the past... I do this after every 4 refills and I haven´t had any problems since. ;)
Also use a can of compressed air to blow out any debris in the jets, and use a quintuple refined butane fuel like Vector, available at Bargain Humidors for about $4 a can...

Vector Butane

Ok tried it with the nibo. it's no better.. it has to be nearly full blast or the flame flutters..

used vector butane.. new lighter.. nothing even light with it yet

The problem many torch lighters have like this is because the initial fill is at higher pressure than we can buy in stores. The purging and clean air bursts help, but for most torch lighters I find I need to adjust the "high stop" point.

This usually involves removing one screw on the bottom of the lighter, an O-Ring around the fill valve, and then removing a plastic or metal tab from around the fill valve that sets the stop point. Usually 1/2 turn past the original factory stop point is enough to fix it. You then just put the tab back on so it will stop at the new position, replace the O-ring, case, screw.

Use caution when doing this, if you run it too hot your lighter can overheat, explode, etc. However I have gotten several lighters to perform better (Z-Plus) this way, or got lighters that had stopped working (Colibri and Nibo) to work again with this quick repair.

-Matt-

txmatt said:
The problem many torch lighters have like this is because the initial fill is at higher pressure than we can buy in stores. The purging and clean air bursts help, but for most torch lighters I find I need to adjust the "high stop" point.

This usually involves removing one screw on the bottom of the lighter, an O-Ring around the fill valve, and then removing a plastic or metal tab from around the fill valve that sets the stop point. Usually 1/2 turn past the original factory stop point is enough to fix it. You then just put the tab back on so it will stop at the new position, replace the O-ring, case, screw.

Use caution when doing this, if you run it too hot your lighter can overheat, explode, etc. However I have gotten several lighters to perform better (Z-Plus) this way, or got lighters that had stopped working (Colibri and Nibo) to work again with this quick repair.

-Matt-

I did this with my busted Colibri as well to increase it's weak performance.

I was talking to Alberto from Cuban Crafters the other day and he was complaining about the same problem with his Nibo and couldn't fix it either. He was using triple refined fuel from the get go.

I had similar problems with Colibris, I turned the screw all the way to the negative, purged, filled, lit and the while lit turned the screw up until I had a steady flame. I had to do this everytime I refilled in order to get it to work.

Finally, I just switched to a Prometheus lighter with Prometheus fuel and haven't had the problem in a year and a half. (I used the "Titan" for 1 1/2 years now and a couple of months ago, started using a "Churchill X" - it's similar to the St Dupont Linge2 as well as the "Ultimo" which is similar to the St Dupont X-tend, no problems with those either).

~M

n2advnture said:
I was talking to Alberto from Cuban Crafters the other day and he was complaining about the same problem with his Nibo and couldn't fix it either. He was using triple refined fuel from the get go.

I had similar problems with Colibris, I turned the screw all the way to the negative, purged, filled, lit and the while lit turned the screw up until I had a steady flame. I had to do this everytime I refilled in order to get it to work.

Finally, I just switched to a Prometheus lighter with Prometheus fuel and haven't had the problem in a year and a half. (I used the "Titan" for 1 1/2 years now and a couple of months ago, started using a "Churchill X" - it's similar to the St Dupont Linge2 as well as the "Ultimo" which is similar to the St Dupont X-tend, no problems with those either).

~M

exactly, how does one "purge" the lighter. please be as specific as possible!

thebiglebowski said:
exactly, how does one "purge" the lighter. please be as specific as possible!

"Next time your lighter is empty, depress the fill stem and allow the air that is trapped within the empty gas reservoir to be expelled. You will know it is properly purged when you cease to hear any hissing."

From this site.

TypeO- said:
"Next time your lighter is empty, depress the fill stem and allow the air that is trapped within the empty gas reservoir to be expelled. You will know it is properly purged when you cease to hear any hissing."

From this site.

Yup, what TypeO- said. I use one of the extra little red nozzle adapters that came with my can of fuel to purge my lighter. Works like a champ.

Cheers!!
Steve

So far none of this has helped with the fluttering. I've purged the lighter as empty as I think I can and refilled it.

The Nibo, sometimes also doesn't ignite one of the burners, I find if I dont depress the button all the way sometimes it'll light it..

grumble

Some lighters are just beyond repair, unless you're willing to send the lighter to the mfr. for repair. You seem to be having similar issues as I had with my Prometheus. I was going to send it in for repair until I broke it.

JezterVA said:
Yup, what TypeO- said. I use one of the extra little red nozzle adapters that came with my can of fuel to purge my lighter. Works like a champ.

Cheers!!
Steve

gracias - one and all. i knew i needed to purge my lighter regularly, but was unsure of the process...

Back