Travel to Dominican Republic

mtb996

Gorilla
I am considering taking a carribean vacation this year and wanted to hear thoughts on cigar factory tours in the Domincan. Rather than the typical beach resort in Mexico, Jamaica, etc. I was considering the DR in order to take a day tour of a cigar factory.

Anyone do this? Where did you stay? Was it worth it? I can always take a suitcase full of smokes to any resort, but think visiting a factory would be pretty cool.

Thoughts?

Do it. Without a doubt. The DR is next on my list, and I would love to do a DR/Honduras/Nicaragua cigar vacation. I think your idea is a great one.

I stayed in Punta Cana this past February and visited the Don Lucas factory while I was there. They had 4 tables and they're a pretty small operation of about 30k production per month. It was interesting, but not nearly as interesting as the pictures I've seen from the AF factory.

Hi mtb,

I just went to Punta Cana in march. Stayed at the Majestic Colonial, a real nice mostly couples resort. It's a beach town...Amazing beach with clear blue water and almost pink, soft sand. Most resorts there are all-inclusive and pretty big. Punta Cana isn't near the tobacco growing region at all but there are two cigar factories there. The resorts can set you up with a free tour of them. They will send a van to pick you up and drop you off.

We went to the Don Lucas rolling factory. It was basically a room of 4 tables with two rollers at each station. They'll ask you what you like to smoke and light you up one of theirs to enjoy while they talk about the process. Next door they have their gift shop where you can buy cigars (not just their own lines), coffee, rum, artwork, etc. It's all better priced than on resort. We picked up some paintings, alot of coffee and a box of their cigars.

I didn't tour the other factory/museum but it was almost right next door. Vivaldi's I think it was called??? Sitting back in the evenings on the balcony of our room having a Don Lucas...It was my 'awakening' into true enjoyment of cigars. :tu

Feel free to PM me for more details. I'll be more than happy to go in more detail. It was a trip to remember.

We are thinking of a Costa Rica / Nicaragua trip next for some nice coffee and cigars.

Thanks for the feedback! I understand that the big factories are all in trade zones and tours are not allowed. The smaller factories seem pretty cool though-thanks for the tip on Punta Cana. :tu

Enjoy,
Mike

I am heading down to Punta Cana for my honeymoon in November. Can't wait to try out some of the fresh stock and get my hands some Cubans.

I am heading down to Punta Cana for my honeymoon in November. Can't wait to try out some of the fresh stock and get my hands some Cubans.

The DR is rampant with Cuban fakes, a lot of them really bad, but some of them pretty good, so if you know your stuff, OK, o/w you might want to forego that one and just enjoy the domestic product.

Cheers!

I know from experience, there are ALOT of fakes in the Dominican, sold in all kinds of places, be very careful, and make sure you know your fakes well before you go.

Another vote for STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM CUBANS IN THE DR.
I thought I knew my stuff, but got burned. And not some $40 deal- a handsome sum :c

Puerta Plata on the North end of the island has the largets factories(Aurora); Punta Cana has only smaller ones (although still interesting)
You can't go to the AF or other DR brands you might know as they're in a tax-free zone. You can't even buy thopse brands legitimitely on the island due to the tax situation.(they'd have to ship them off the island them bring them back which would make them prohibitively expensive)

I lived in the Dominican Republic for two years and it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find authentic Cuban & Premium Dominican Cigars in the DR with exception of La Aurora. All other premium Brands are in the Free Trade zone and are not sold within the country. Even at the resorts the cigars will be fakes.

The Largest Cigar Factories that you can visit are actually around the Santiago area of the Dominican Republic (About 50 minutes away from Puerto Plata). This is the 2nd largest city in the DR but it is not a beach town.

Here is a list of some Cigar factories. If you are considering going to any I would double check to make sure they are open, in the DR you never know.

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/...rtsCultureSports/Cigars/cigars_en.xml#factory

Feel free to PM me for any questions you might have.

Go to the DR for the Beach, The Rum & The Woman, but for the Cigars there are far better options IMHO.

Last edited:
I lived in the Dominican Republic for two years and it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find authentic Cuban & Premium Dominican Cigars in the DR with exception of La Aurora. All other premium Brands are in the Free Trade zone and are not sold within the country. Even at the resorts the cigars will be fakes.

The Largest Cigar Factories that you can visit are actually around the Santiago area of the Dominican Republic (About 50 minutes away from Puerto Plata). This is the 2nd largest city in the DR but it is not a beach town.

Here is a list of some Cigar factories. If you are considering going to any I would double check to make sure they are open, in the DR you never know.

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/...rtsCultureSports/Cigars/cigars_en.xml#factory

Feel free to PM me for any questions you might have.

Go to the DR for the Beach, The Rum & The Woman, but for the Cigars there are far better options IMHO.

:tpd:

Back