Tray Storage Alternative?

Opusfxd

Lowland Gorilla
So I'm starting to amass singles and 5's but no boxes. Unfortunately my humidor doesn't have any trays with it and things are starting to not only get a bit deep in there (I know a horrible problem) but I'm looking at swapping over to a cooler once my last screw up from the devil site shows up.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using tupperware as tray substitutes? I was thinking of drilling holes in the bottom of some of the cheapo throw them away if you forget them in the back of the fridge ones, not the expensive good ones.

Any thoughts? Pros or cons - besides not having that fresh cedar bouquet when opening.

TIA

Any thoughts? Pros or cons - besides not having that fresh cedar bouquet when opening.

TIA

Cedar helps to regulate humidity, and it imparts flavor on the cigars with aging. Also I think, the idea of tuperware is a good short term solution but some of them do have a plasticy (probably not a word) smell to them which could get picked up by the cigars. Plastics do not breathe, there is a reason humidors use cedar, it helps the cigars.

My recomendation is buy some cedar trays, usually about 9-15 bucks a piece depending on the size. Or try the WTB forum on here and see if some BOTL/SOTL have some you can buy for cheaper than that. Probably the cheapest solution would be finding a B+M that sells empty boxes and buy some of those, usually around a buck or two a piece. I know the ones near me do, I can go get some for you if you can't find any near you. I will pick up as many as you like and ship them to you for cost.

Seems to me it would work, but you would also lose the assistance they also give with helping your rh recover when you open it. But no real downside other than that and the cedar smell you mentioned

Sounds fine to me. Except, why would you drill holes in them if they will be inside the humidor?

You can always use the cedar sheets that come in boxes to line the bottoms of the trays. Your b&m should have plenty. However, cedar is not absolutly necessary.

Last edited:
I've got three or four full boxes in my cooler, and one tupperware (without a lid) I stick random singles in that sits on top of the stacks of boxes, and it works fine for me. I agree that it would be best to have some kind of cedar boxes in there, though, to help regulate the RH. :2

Cedar helps to regulate humidity,

Probably the cheapest solution would be finding a B+M that sells empty boxes and buy some of those, usually around a buck or two a piece.

Good point about the humidity regulation. I did forget to mention I have about a pound of beads raring to go into service.

I didn't even think about checking with the B&M.

Good point about the humidity regulation. I did forget to mention I have about a pound of beads raring to go into service.

I didn't even think about checking with the B&M.

Even with the beads I still think you need atleast some boxes/trays/cedar.

If you go to the B+M ask them if there are a few you could have for free, broken lids, cracked, because all you are using them for is to set stuff in inside a larger coolidor anyways. If they don't give away/sell empty ones, shoot me a PM because the two by me have plenty for sale this time of year. All sizes and lengths, 10 packs, full boxes etc.

Lowes has plastic stackable trays that work very well in my coolidor. They come in several sizes and depths and have holes already molded in. I recomend you get a few cedar strips and line the bottom of the coolidor. This will help with the RH and still give you a great smell.

I think I paid about 3 bucks each for the trays and they hold about 100 sticks each. I also use some old cedar strips as dividers in the trays.

So I'm starting to amass singles and 5's but no boxes. Unfortunately my humidor doesn't have any trays with it and things are starting to not only get a bit deep in there (I know a horrible problem) but I'm looking at swapping over to a cooler once my last screw up from the devil site shows up.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using tupperware as tray substitutes? I was thinking of drilling holes in the bottom of some of the cheapo throw them away if you forget them in the back of the fridge ones, not the expensive good ones.

TIA

I am about to start buying more boxes. I have maybe four trays I could part with. They make my cooler smell great, help revover RH after opening, and hold a good number of singles. Maybe we could work out a fair trade. Here is a pic of how they look in my cooler.

DSC_0738.jpg

I have a rule at my house. no spanish cedar, no cigars. I even have a small piece of cedar that I put into those "ziplock" cigar bags that I use to transport cigars to friends or take a couple of sticks to work in. It helps keep the humidity up to par too.

That is a nice looking set-up

Thanks!

Hey, OpusFXD. If you would like those trays, just shoot me a PM. A great BOTL helped me out with a trade on them. Saved me some cigar $$. I am sure we can work something out to keep you from having to pay the $12.99 ea. No big deal if not interested, just thought I'd throw out an option for ya. :tu

Back