Troya #72 mini belicoso

BlackIrish

ChestBeater
The cigar:
Troya #72 mini belicoso (5x52)

Picked up a sampler at auction; this was the first one I smoked, after about 3mos in the humidor.

Nutrition information:
Shape: Torpedo
Wrapper: Cameroon (natural)
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

The marketing (courtesy of Famous)
Troya #72 (Mini Belicoso) cigars are handmade in the Dominican Republic highlighted by a dark, delicate African Cameroon wrapper that surrounds a well-balanced blend of Dominican Piloto Cubano filler/Olor binder tobaccos. The smoke is rich in flavor with hints of sweet spice and a nice aroma.

Prelight: Nice looking, with an oily Cameroon wrapper, natural with some reddish hues. Well rolled, with a nice feel in the hand. Citrus aroma from the foot, and more light citrusy-ness on the cold draw.

Burn: Great through the first two thirds, but I ran into some trouble in the last third -- I hit a spot that just didn't want to burn, even with some gentle touch ups, which led to some canoeing. The ash was a firm light gray through the first half, and slightly flaky down the stretch. The cigar lasted longer than I'd expected, giving a little more than an hour of smoking time.

Flavor: At the start, the flavor was light and creamy, with very pleasant citrus and floral notes. A slight sweetness; I thought about creamsicles. No pepper or harshness to speak of. As the smoke progressed, the citrus notes deepened; I tasted tangerine and orange, I think. The flavor and body were light to medium during the first half, with a moderately clean finish. As I reached the midpoint, some spice emerged, blending nicely with the citrus and deepening to a solid medium. The flavor showed more clove with the orange, and at one point I thought about those clove-studded oranges that I made in kindergarten around Christmas time.

Overall, a good cigar. The flavors were nice, but the burn issue was distracting. Retail price is a bit high, I think, so if you're interested, look for these at auction on cigarauctioneer.

Back