TSA and Cigars

Boomer

ChestBeater
I just got back from a trip that involved two flights on our local airlines, Northworst. My issue however is with the TSA. I packed a selection of smokes in a cigar box, wrapping each cigar in tissue to help preserve the wrapper and insuring that they didn't get too beat up. Upon arrival at my destination, I opened the box and it looked like the grandkids had been playing in it. The cigars were unwrapped, the wrappers were broken on two of the Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles, one of the La Gloria Cubana figurados, and the rest just tossed about. The Tats were barely smokeable but I suffered through them. I don't know who to blame or complain too. If you want to buy a case to carry them in they still need to open it or they will break it. I took too many to put in the carry on bag. What is a traveling stogie smoker to do?:mad:

Last edited:
I just flew from pittsburgh to huston then sa to the twin citties...there were other stops in there but that's where I went through security. I too used a cigar box to hold my sticks and cutter and had it in my carry on luggage and had no problems what so ever. I only took about 6 with me so i didn't have a problem with having to many to keep in my carry on. What you could do is go buy a few small 10-15 count travel humis and stuff them in your carry on.

How many sticks did you take?

my advise, always, always always carry your sticks. I treat my sticks/pipes like I do my DSLR, they will NEVER go under the plane unless I'm on a 50 seat plane and I can see them put my bag under the aircraft like I had to do twice this trip

It wasn't me! If it was in your checked baggage, it was probably in, on, around, or next to something that alarmed. You might be able to complain to TSA, there should have been a slip of paper explaining how to file a complaint in your bag if your baggage was opened.

It's a little different @ SFO, we are privately contracted and have to put our employee #'s on the "love notes" we slip in. Where I work there are multiple cameras so that all claims can be reviewed.

What's a traveling stogie smoker to do? Invest in a herf-a-dor/travel humi. If you're flying domestic, consider shipping your cigars to where you will be staying. Short of that, you can pack your smokes in a bag with only clothing (which usually does not alarm). Other than that, make room in your carry-on. It's up to you how bad you want your smokes where you're going.

Hope that helps..

I have a tsa inspected sticker on my bag from my return flight...just noticed that...never seen that before

I carry mine with me all the time.

I have a Halli case and it holds plenty for me. If thats not enough I use a second case and just put it in my carry on.

I have never had a problem flying domestic or international. Most of the time they just comment on the nice case. :tu

TSA is not customs just remember that.

my advise, always, always always carry your sticks.

Absolutely. :tu
My traveldor holds 24 sticks with the foam trays and around 75 without. Never had a problem.
If you plan on bringing more than you can carry on, then ship ahead.

May not have been TSA. Airline employees are notorious for going though bags. now they have a good cover also...TSA did it. I just travelled with ~30ish sticks in tupperware with cedar a humidifier and a digital hygrometer in my checked bag and did not have any issues. Don't get me wrong TSA is not blameless, they have a solid share of screwups, but I don't see why they would have even looked at your sticks. Where were you coming from?

Ryan

Never check your cigars,ever.

No matter what country they came from, they wont be noticed or asked about.

May I ask what you base that remark on?

If one were to bring isoms from abroad it would be better to check them. If customs do decide they want to search you, they will start with the hand luggage. If that is clear they might not continue going through big suitcases. At least that's what would be human.

TSA is not kosher in my eyes. Ever since I have TSA locks on my suitcases they get opened almost every time, just because they can. I have locks that actually indicate whether they were opened.

There was one occurrence when the bag was opened and they clearly went through my cloths and even the files but there was no note that TSA had inspected the suitcase. Since then I do leave a note saying that I took photos of the content of the suitcase and have a detailed packing list and to please pout a note if they search through my belongings. So far that works.

I never had anything stolen here, though. But once, in Germany, they (baggage handlers) stole an expensive watch from my suitcase but left another one that was right next to it. So ever since I am very suspecting.

Till

May I ask what you base that remark on?

If one were to bring isoms from abroad it would be better to check them. If customs do decide they want to search you, they will start with the hand luggage. If that is clear they might not continue going through big suitcases. At least that's what would be human.

TSA is not kosher in my eyes. Ever since I have TSA locks on my suitcases they get opened almost every time, just because they can. I have locks that actually indicate whether they were opened.

There was one occurrence when the bag was opened and they clearly went through my cloths and even the files but there was no note that TSA had inspected the suitcase. Since then I do leave a note saying that I took photos of the content of the suitcase and have a detailed packing list and to please pout a note if they search through my belongings. So far that works.

I never had anything stolen here, though. But once, in Germany, they (baggage handlers) stole an expensive watch from my suitcase but left another one that was right next to it. So ever since I am very suspecting.

Till

Till,
TSA doesn't care where your sticks come from or if you have them at all...Customs != TSA

:tpd:

Always carry your sticks in your carry on. On my way back from MMHIII, I had my traveldor that I took the form trays out and placed the sticks in fiver finger baggies (to allow for more to go and come back with). I also had about 30 more in a zip lock bag, and 10 in my canister (which is never searched). All total, a little over 100 sticks of various countries of origin. No problems.

Only once have I been question (about the canister), when the x-ray picked it up. TSA asked what was inside, I said cigars, they looked at me, shrugged their shoulders and let it through without missing a beat.

I just got back from a trip flying out on NWA from the Cites. I have been using a travel humi as carry on for several years, only had to open it once for TSA. I have had them open my checked bags, but they have always left the sheet saying that they did

I just got back from a trip flying out on NWA from the Cites. I have been using a travel humi as carry on for several years, only had to open it once for TSA. I have had them open my checked bags, but they have always left the sheet saying that they did

I just flew out from the twin cities on NWA myself

Always carry your sticks with you...and place them in a travel-dor. I always carry my expensive gear on to the plane with me.... electronics, watches, jewelry, pens etc..

If they want to take my socks/underwear and XXXL shirts....so be it.

Back