Two Coolidor Questions

Todd W

Pepin Hoe
I'm in the process of setting up a new coolidor so I can begin to age some cigars. I washed it out with Baking Soda, and then put 1 pound of 65% beads in the glad box shown. Should I need to do anything else? Also, I want to cut two pieces of the Spanish Cedar you see, and line the bottom of the cooler with it. Should I season the wood in any way?

I would add a calibrated digital hygrometer, possibly one with a remote sensor, so you don't have to open the cooler to check it. Also, some Oust fans (without the scent of course) to help circulation. I would lightly wipe down the SC strips with distilled water and then let the strips season with the beads in the cooler. Should be all set.:tu

Looks like you put all the beads in one container. You should divide the beads up and spread them around. Also the beads should only be about 1" or 1.5" deep.

I also agree with the dig hygro

Looks like you put all the beads in one container. You should divide the beads up and spread them around. Also the beads should only be about 1" or 1.5" deep.

I also agree with the dig hygro

I would spread the beads around too. Make some bags out of some panty hose and put some at each end of the cooler. Plus you won't spill them when they are in the panty hose bags. I always end up spilling them when using the "Glad" containers.

use flatter and wider/longer holding tray for your beads. This will provide a more surface area for them to breathe/collect moisture.

then put pantyhose around the tray so if you accidentally spill it, it doesn't go anywhere.

I would spread the beads around as much as possible to ensure even humidity and probably use a little fan to help circulation.. and if you're using the cedar you should season the coolidor with cedar.

I would spread the beads around as much as possible to ensure even humidity and probably use a little fan to help circulation.. and if you're using the cedar you should season the coolidor with cedar.

I'm planning on lining the bottom of the cooler with the cedar. I'm thinking of lightly wiping it down a few times over the weekend with distilled, then adding smokes next week.

I've got the digi hygro, it's just not in the pics.

Thanks for the advice on spreading out the beads. I'll even it out when I get home tonight. Looks like I may need another Target run for an oust fan as well! I'll post you some pics of what the end result looks like. I realize a cooler isn't too exciting, but I'm looking forward to safe storage of some quantity.

I used to use the same container as you are using with the same lid perforation. Didn't work well. Based on the advice of several gorillas, I went and bought some pantyhose. Split the beads into a few small bags made from those and I have way better humidification in both coolers now. I also have an oust in each cooler.

One thing that I started doing was putting the cedar inserts from boxes over the top of the top trays. This allows the cigars to pull humidity from the cedar and the circulation from the oust doesn't dry them out.

You should consider using a fan of some sort to move the air within the Coolidor. I highly recommend an Oust Fan, or two, depending on the size of your Coolidor. If it's around 55 qts or less, one Oust Fan is enough. Any larger, you should consider two fans. The Oust Fans are very small, run on one "D" size batter for at least 9/10 months. The fan automatically turns itself on every 15 minutes and runs for five minutes. I have found that if you split your beads into two containers and place one, high up on one end of the Coolidor, and the other on the bottom, at the opposite end of the Coolidor, you will get the best overall results!

I used to use the same container as you are using with the same lid perforation. Didn't work well. Based on the advice of several gorillas, I went and bought some pantyhose. Split the beads into a few small bags made from those and I have way better humidification in both coolers now. I also have an oust in each cooler.

One thing that I started doing was putting the cedar inserts from boxes over the top of the top trays. This allows the cigars to pull humidity from the cedar and the circulation from the oust doesn't dry them out.

Sounds like I need to do this. Thanks for the tips.

You should consider using a fan of some sort to move the air within the Coolidor. I highly recommend an Oust Fan, or two, depending on the size of your Coolidor. If it's around 55 qts or less, one Oust Fan is enough. Any larger, you should consider two fans. The Oust Fans are very small, run on one "D" size batter for at least 9/10 months. The fan automatically turns itself on every 15 minutes and runs for five minutes. I have found that if you split your beads into two containers and place one, high up on one end of the Coolidor, and the other on the bottom, at the opposite end of the Coolidor, you will get the best overall results!

Thanks -- I'm going to pick up an oust tonight!

IMO if you are planning on aging boxes, then you don't need to use Cedar to line your Cooler. You will have enough from your boxes and the cedar will reduce the space you have. Although, if you are into it, go for it. I've seen a lot of neat pics from the BOTL's here who have done some pretty neat things with their Coolers. :ss And if space is an issue, you can always buy a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc...) cooler :D

I just picked up a cooler and some cedar for long term storage. My question is, what glue should I use to attach the wood to the plastic that won't give off fumes once it dries? I was just going to use Gorilla Glue (seems appropriate in this case :p ) but let me know if that's a bad move.

I know I can count on you guys for great advice.

thx~!

:ss

I just picked up a cooler and some cedar for long term storage. My question is, what glue should I use to attach the wood to the plastic that won't give off fumes once it dries? I was just going to use Gorilla Glue (seems appropriate in this case :p ) but let me know if that's a bad move.

I know I can count on you guys for great advice.

thx~!

:ss

You really don't need to line your cooler with cedar. If you're storing in boxes or cedar trays...that should be fine.

If you really want to use the cedar, a few dabs of silicone should work. Just allow it to cure for at least 24hrs. to remove the smell.

Also, try a search, in this forum, using the word "glue"... for some more opinions on this topic.

I would spread the beads around too. Make some bags out of some panty hose and put some at each end of the cooler. Plus you won't spill them when they are in the panty hose bags. I always end up spilling them when using the "Glad" containers.

got plenty of panty hose hanging around, do ya Jeff?:r

Back