Two flame lighter question

Munt

Maturing Primate
Thanks for stopping by, I have a question about a lighter I bought. This lighter is a butane torch lighter that has button to turn the flame into an orange flame instead of the hotter blue flame. Which flame is better to light the cigar with?

Thanks again,

Munt!

Do you mean it is a torch and soft-flame combo lighter? Those are cool. It really doesn't matter. Fire is fire. I use a triple flame torch.

Preference, try them both and see what you think. It is possible that the lighter you have is actually a combination pipe/cigar lighter as well.

People prefer the blue (hotter) flame for toasting the foot and getting a nice even light without puffing so much you give yourself a headache. Also great for touchups and precision lighting.

People prefer the soft flame because the nostalgia of it, kinda like using matches and it is a little more peaceful to light the cigar nice and easy. Touchups are much more difficult with soft flames.

Don't know if that helps, but I am sure more people will jump in and help. :tu

It doesn't relly matters it deepens on where your at. You cant use a regular disposable lighter on the beach, to windy.
:w

Do you mean it is a torch and soft-flame combo lighter? Those are cool. It really doesn't matter. Fire is fire. I use a triple flame torch.

Yes thank you for the correct term. Does it matter if you puff on the cigar if you use the soft flame? will it distaste the cigar?

Munt.

Yes thank you for the correct term. Does it matter if you puff on the cigar if you use the soft flame? will it distaste the cigar?

Munt.

Butane burns very efficiently so it really has no taste. You will have to puff on it to get it started burning. Don't overthink it, bro. Just light and enjoy.

Overthinking has never been a strong point of mine. Thanks for the advice.

Munt.

Butane burns very efficiently so it really has no taste. You will have to puff on it to get it started burning. Don't overthink it, bro. Just light and enjoy.

Oh how I love the search function! I had this same question, as I now have a desire to give pipe smoking a shot (it seems like a dying art imo).

My very short experience, smoking cigars for the last 5 months or so, the cheaper Bic lighters give an undesirable taste to my cigars. While this lasts only a brief time (and I've only resorted to that in a pinch) I've been wondering if the same would apply to pipes. Seeing that pipes are a shorter smoke and may require a few relights, I would be led to believe that this would be a problem.

On a side note, I'm not so sure I want to use matches. I could see myself getting clumsy and burning something down.:hn

My very short experience, smoking cigars for the last 5 months or so, the cheaper Bic lighters give an undesirable taste to my cigars. While this lasts only a brief time (and I've only resorted to that in a pinch) I've been wondering if the same would apply to pipes. Seeing that pipes are a shorter smoke and may require a few relights, I would be led to believe that this would be a problem.

Although mainly associated with cigarettes, are you sure it's the bic lighter? Bic lighters use the same butane to generate a soft flame as expensive lighters so they shouldn't leave any trace flavors or aroma. Remember no matter what type of fire you are using, avoid touching the cigar with the flame and instead try keeping the cigar just above the flame and continue rotating until the cigar comes to life. If the foot is "burnt" it can often bring out undesirable flavors for the first few puffs.

Welcome Aboard Club Stogie! :tu

Back