Ugh.. Humi Problems

NAV3

Young Ape
Setting up the humi I've just bought has been a complete nightmare. I feel like I've been practically spamming the Questions-Accessories part of the forum for the past two weeks. The first humi I received was defective in that it had a poor seal and the lid was warped. The second came, and has a great seal. I purchased a Cigar Oasis Ultra and a HygroSetII for the humi and calibrating the hygroset was a mess. The Hygroset when i was first trying to calibrate it would randomly jump up to 4-5% when sitting in the Boveda bag every time it refreshed, even after 24 hours. I went out and bought a new battery because I thought maybe it was the battery. Had the same problems for a bit, but it seemed to settle on 75% so i figured I was good to go. Now I put it in my humi which I've seasoned, and the difference between the Hygroset and the hygro built into the Oasis Ultra is over 10%. The Oasis reads 63% and the hygroset reads somewhere from 73-75%. I noticed that the Hygroset never really left around 75% even after I put it in the humi. I'm utterly confused here. I'm gonna put the Hygroset through the Boveda calibration kit again. What do I trust? Could one, or both the cigar oasis and hygroset be defective? Perhaps its the calibration kit? Any suggestions on what to do? I'm considering returning the Hygroset and Cigar Oasis and buying the Heartfelt Aluminum Humidifier and another Hygroset...don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.

Thanks for the help,
Andrew

Last edited:
I don't remember you saying how large the humi was?

If it is not too big I would just scrap everything and go with the HF beads. I have a couple desktop humis and a coolerador and I use the beads with excellent results in the humidors. I am at the point now where I trust them enough to not even really look at my hygros. I have even calibrated one using the beads and the RH in the humi.

I would also suggest you try re-seasoning your humi. I re-seasoned an old one I had pretty much given up on and it is holding rock solid. I did the distilled-water-in-a-shot--glass-don't-touch-it-or-open-the-lid-for-5-days-method (don't worry it is not quite as complacated as it sounds).

Just my :2. Good luck.

the readings on the cigar oasis are notorious for being off-it's possible both are off, but i'd put money on the CO if i had to-maybe try the salt test w/the hygroset-if the humi is a desktop, ditch the CO & go w/beads, so much easier-JMHO

The Hygroset has been in for about 15 hours now and its been holding 75-76 since I went to sleep last night so I'm starting to think that maybe it's not the problem. I'm still contemplating returning the Cigar Oasis Ultra though, it really irks me that the humidity sensor inside it could be that off. I'm about an inch from doing that and getting beads, as I've used Heartfelt Aluminum humidifiers in my other humis to positive results. I also read a horror story of some guy who left on vacation and came back to a humidor filled with literally 300 soaked stogies because his Oasis went haywire. He said that Cigar Oasis refused to help him at all.

Thanks for the responses guys,
Andrew

Last edited:
Sounds really high. You should go by calibrated digital hygrometer, not the active humidifier, mine is atleast 5% off of my calibrated hygros.
I had the Hydra and set it at 67.5% but my digital hygro read 72.0%, so I just moved the Hydra down to 62.5% and eventually is evened out, now the cabinet sits at 65/65, Perfect. :2

I don't remember you saying how large the humi was?

It's a CAO 100 Count...I talked to my dad and he recommended going with the beads also so I think im just gonna call Famous and return it tomorrow and order the heartfelt beads. I think I'm gonna hold onto the hygro though as it seems to be working fine.

Back