Ugh. My first beetle infestation

mkelson

Young Chimp
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-02 AT 07:34 PM (CDT)]A while ago I received a box of Upmann Monarchs... one of them had a beetle hole, but I didn't see any bugs. I smoked the "holy" one and went through the freezing ritual on the rest.

But last night I had what I'd consider my first actual infestation.

I had a ziplock with two Graycliff Pirates and 3 Perdomo Estate selections in an "igloo" humidor. I noticed what appeared to be a hole in one of the Graycliffs and picked up the bag to see three or four beetles swarming around one of the Graycliffs. Ugh. The wrappers for the other Graycliff and the Perdomo's appeared to be intact with no beetle damage.

I smooshed the bugs, put the cigars in a fresh bag and into the freezer they went.

I inspected the original ziplock bag that these cigars were in for any holes... but didn't see any, and also removed everything from the humidor and checked for any additional signs of infestation.

I'm fairly certain that the bugs were contained to the ziplock, but I'll be checking this humidor religiously over the next couple of weeks to make sure everything is okay.

So... "word." Check your humidors often during these summer months! Ya never know what parasites might be chomping down on all of that precious sot weed.

Aaaaaaargh!!! Sad to here this. I hope that is all the
little bastids got.
I keep my humi in the basement so it is below their hatching temp.

Bummer Michael.

Sure you didn't mix em in with those ones that Barry brought over to poker's? ;) Just kidding.

PS; Send me Marsha's e-mail.

Dude that sucks. Hey, be sure you let em freeze long enough and don't rush them back into the humi because those beetles are tough little bastards. If we were in the winter months, I'd say open the humi & let it dry out, but just about everywhere in the nation, the humidity is 80-90% right now, so that wouldn't help. Just be sure the problem doesn't manifest itself again! Good Luck & thanks for the heads up.

-Justin

I am Crushed (Like the little Beetles) of you cruel and inhumane killing of these living creatures. Being a Doctor I have no choice but to report you to PETA.

www.peta-online.org/

PS-Send me a dead one I will do an Autopsy.

Drrgill

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-02 AT 05:42 PM (CDT)]I'll see if I can scrounge up a few live ones for you ;-)

Once, quite a few years ago, I ended up having what one could call a 'true' infestation of beetles in my small cabinet humidor. The tears were rolling as I tossed cigar after cigar into the trash. The little buggers were everywhere. 40+ cigars in all were lost. Once a person experiences something like that, it haunts you for a looooooong time LOL

That bites. I hope you have it contained. I had one small beetle issue in my non-ISOM desktop a few months ago. Freezing everything for about four days seemed to do the trick. I think I'll go check on the cooler-dor now...

Oh! Man that sucks!!

I feel for you. I, myself have been very worried down here in Texas where it's 95+ degrees and 90+ RH, 24-7 seems like. My wife keeps nagging me about the A/C running up the bill, but I've got investments to protect dear. It may be time to get a window unit into a closet for a walk-in. She's not keen on that either, but what are we to do. I don't have a basement like some of you. If I did convert a closet, does that mean I have to work for the next few years filling it up with cigars, that would just suck. Oh boy this is a vicious snowball.

Good luck with the beetles.

Jack

Barry brought over a big bag of cigars that were 'chowed down' by those crittes. I put one pic of those in the SoCal III herf pics link: http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3060d5925bc

I haven't found any in a while(knock on wood), but my electric bill these summer months tops $200. OUCH!

Had one three years ago only killed two cigars but infested the whole house had to fumigate to get rid of the bastards. They multiply like rabbits they literally were EVERYWHERE! (Have since moved girlfriend threatened to break up with me if it ever happened again.)They snuck in from a slr regios @#$%* snuck in by crawling UNDERNEATH the band so couldn't figure out where they came from, incredible! Man still shellshocked to this day, you never quite recover from an infestation like that. Spent like $100 on the traps. :-(

Back