US Air travel and cigars

RaiderinKS

Lowland Gorilla
I am plenty familiar with the rules for taking up to 5L per person of stowed liquor on US Airlines, but what are the rules for cigars and my accessories? If I empty my lighter, can I take it with? What about my xicar cutter?

Can I take the cigars in an otterbox in my carry-on bag? Is there any kind of limit?

Thanks in advance guys.

PS - I chose to ignore any relevant searches because of the changing nature of US air travel restrictions as of late.

If they find the lighter they will take it no matter how much fuel is in it.
If you have a blade of any type and they find it, it is be confiscated.

Cigars in a ottorbox in carry-on is fine.

When I went to Chicago recently I carried an full (40+) otterbox. I also had a cutter and some matches in my carry-on. No problems.

I think you can only take a lighter in checked baggage.

I would carry one of those $3 Ronson's and if they take it, so what.

If they find the lighter they will take it no matter how much fuel is in it.
If you have a blade of any type and they find it, it is be confiscated.

Cigars in a ottorbox in carry-on is fine.

So then what do you guys normally do? Find a B/M when you get to your destination and buy another cutter and lighter?

So then what do you guys normally do? Find a B/M when you get to your destination and buy another cutter and lighter?

Check you lighter and cutter/punch. I carry cigars with me and also check some depending upon how long I'm going to be away from home.

Yes you can carry a cigar cutter in a carry on, no lighters period though except in checked and the only way to carry a full butane lighter is in the colibri carry thing. Here is a copy and paste from TSA on the section with cigar cutters, may want to print this page to carry with you
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

Joe

<TABLE><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccc"><TD width=360>Item</TD><TD width=72>Carry-on</TD><TD width=72>Checked</TD></TR><TR><TD>Aerosol spray bottles and cans</TD><TD>Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container</TD><TD>Yes</TD></TR><TR class=gr><TD>All creams and lotions including Neosporin or first-aid creams and ointments, topical or rash creams and ointments, suntan lotions, moisturizers, etc.</TD><TD>Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container</TD><TD>Yes</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bubble bath balls, bath oils or moisturizers</TD><TD>Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container</TD><TD>Yes</TD></TR><TR class=gr><TD>Bug and mosquito sprays and repellents</TD><TD>Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container</TD><TD>Yes</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cigar Cutters</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>Yes</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I am plenty familiar with the rules for taking up to 5L per person of stowed liquor on US Airlines, but what are the rules for cigars and my accessories? If I empty my lighter, can I take it with? What about my xicar cutter?

Can I take the cigars in an otterbox in my carry-on bag? Is there any kind of limit?

Thanks in advance guys.

PS - I chose to ignore any relevant searches because of the changing nature of US air travel restrictions as of late.

The number of cigars you bring would depend on where you're going. Check the regs for whatever country you're going to. I brought about two dozen sticks with me to England (2004) w/o trouble. Some were in my checked luggage, some on my person in a three-finger case.

The lighter has to be empty or you can bring up to two filled Zippos in a DOT certified container in your checked luggage or they'll take it away, empty or not.

Cheers!

EDIT: Jeez, your internet service slows down a little bit, and you end up repeating what everybody else said..... :(

Last edited:
Take the cigars however you want.

Fueled lighters can only be taken aboard in checked baggage inside a DOT-approved case. Lighters without fuel are ok in checked baggage. Don't try to carry a lighter on

Cutters are ok checked or carried on.

If you had done a search, you probably would have seen a link to the TSA site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm) which has the info you need. :)

I did look at that page, but honestly, the people at our airport are constantly making people take stuff out that they are supposed to be allowed to have, so I wanted to verify the actual experiences of travelers.

I did look at that page, but honestly, the people at our airport are constantly making people take stuff out that they are supposed to be allowed to have, so I wanted to verify the actual experiences of travelers.

James/Croatan speaks the gospel. But I'll add my :2 based on traveling right now, this moment, and two weeks ago: get the colibri lighter case, put ligther in it, pack in checked baggage along with cutter. Carry cigars in otterbox in carry-on luggage. You shouldn't run into any problems. My checked baggage was inspected by TSA during my trip last week and they did not do anything to the colibri lighter case...it's clearly marked with all appropriate US travel code citations and regulations. So long as you're not intending to spark up at the airport or just outside it between connecting flights, you dont' need to have the cutter or lighter on you, thereby reducing the TSA's incentive to get into your carry-on schtuff.

One handy tip: don't pack an otterbox AND a cowboy boot jack in your carry-on luggage...apparently TSA thinks that a boot jack AND cigars are a lethal combo when seen through the x-ray machine

I'd say :r, but it ain't no joke, kids...

any thought on sticking a lock on the otterbox and tossing the cutter in there?
Personally, I don't lock luggage anymore. I've found TSA very prone to breaking locks. For otterbox and cutter, I would just put them in your carry on, print out the TSA sheet, carry it with you, and not worry any more about it--at least that's what I do very regularly.

Personally, I don't lock luggage anymore. I've found TSA very prone to breaking locks. For otterbox and cutter, I would just put them in your carry on, print out the TSA sheet, carry it with you, and not worry any more about it--at least that's what I do very regularly.

Great minds think alike, I pm'ed him the same idea about 15 min ago. Trust printing out has helped me, I have had to take it out with the date printed on it as well just to show the TSA Retards that I was right and they needed to lay off the crack pipes.

i had planed to carry the otterbox with me...if I can didn't realize how freaking big this thing is when i bought it

No problem taking cigars in your checked or carry on flying in and around the United States. I carry my Halli case whenever I travel. Last time they complimented what a nice case it was.

You are dealing with TSA not Customs and they are not looking for Cuban Cigars at all. Cutters are fine as well.

Just don't try to take on a lighter or it will be GONE IN 60 SECONDS !!

James is correct. Don't check your otterbox, who knows what TSA/Bag handlers will take nowadays. Print the TSA sheet twice (one for your carry on, another in the checked bag). Buy the colibri tranzpack for your lighter(s), then buy a can of fluid when you get there to refill them as needed.

Take the cigars however you want.

Fueled lighters can only be taken aboard in checked baggage inside a DOT-approved case. Lighters without fuel are ok in checked baggage. Don't try to carry a lighter on

Cutters are ok checked or carried on.

If you had done a search, you probably would have seen a link to the TSA site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm) which has the info you need. :)

croatan speaks the truth. he's a righteous dude. carry on anything but a fire source. technically not supposed to check lighters, except in the aforementioned DOT approved box, but i hear people get away with it all the time. i'm just not gonna risk my dunhill, though... i buy a cheapie lighter when i get where i'm going.

Back