Vega Talanga Corojo Series Rojo toro

BlackIrish

ChestBeater
The Cigar: Vega Talanga Corojo Series Rojo 6x52 toro, with about 4 months of aging in my humidor

According to CI,"the Rojo blend hails from Honduras and employs a select mixture of long-fillers grown in the Vega Talanga farms of Honduras. These long-fillers, Corojo to be exact, are combined with a rich Nicaraguan leaf for added flavor. On the outside, a beautiful Havana ’92 sun-grown Corojo wrapper seals the deal, completing a complex, medium to full-bodied smoke with ample age."

Pre Light: Not the prettiest cigar you'll put in your mouth: the dark sun grown wrapper is veiny and grainy, and the cap is crooked. It smells and tastes good, though. It's not packed as densely as other sticks, and the prelight draw is a bit loose.

Burn: Easy light, nice straight burn. Yeah, there were some wobbles, maybe even a touchup, but it evened out. Draw was looser than I like, but nothing problematic. Overall, the construction is decent and easily acceptable.

Flavor: Corojo tang marks this smoke. The first inch or so can be a bit unidimensional, even boring, but it picks up about 1/3 of the way in. Ample, medium-bodied smoke, with a rich and medium-full flavor. Woody at first, the flavor deepens through the smoke to a rich but smooth, clovey, peppery goodness. It's not the most transcendentally complex cigar you'll have, but it is an exceptionally fine value -- you can buy a bundle of 20 on CI for about $30, and I picked up this 5pk on CBid for about $7.

Rock on.

Back