Venotemp copycats

413X

Young Ape
Needing help here fellas. I'm in the market to buy a Venotemp, or something similar. I've read the sticky thread about them, but I didn't notice anything discussing different brands.:confused:

That being said, here are my quick questions:

Does brand matter? I wouldn't think so, just as long as it seals, can reach the ideal temps, and is thermoelectric cooling and not compression.

Are there other recommended brands that others BOTLs have used?

Here is a VERY similar one to the one I'm looking at (pic)

View attachment 20435

View attachment 20436

I kind of like the split level idea for separating boxes and singles. Does anyone know if this is a decent fridge?

I'm diving down the slope on this one! :D:mn

I think that the Vinotemp is the cooler of choice mostly based on ease of availability, price and size of unit. If you can find a similar unit for the same price, I say go with it :tu

Skip the wine cooler and buy a cabinet :2

Any thermoelectric(non compressor) type of wine cooler seems to be the ticket. The temp range is ideal without having to use an external temp controller. :2

:tpd::tpd::tpd:

Hey forget about buying the 1 Vinotemp!............Just buy 2.:D:D:D

Then you will have plenty of room for a couple of weeks.:mn

STS:ss:ss:ss

I use two Fridgidaire wine coolers.
I do NOT use an auxilliary control, it's not needed.
I use two fans trained on the evaporator plate to return condensate (that gathers on the plate) immediately back to the air.
The benefit of the HUGE evaporator plate is that the unit cycles on for a very short time and has very little time to gather appreciable condensate.
As a result, there is never a drop of water in the condensate tray. Ever.

Conversely, the small evaporator plate of the vino needs to cycle for a long period to recover the unit's temperature, and resultantly creates appreciable condensate in it's pan that must be returned to the internal atmosphere, scavenged by beads, then re-equalized. That takes a lot of time.

I've seen all the conversation about the vino vs. compressor winador for some time now.
Each system offers it's own positives and negatives.
For the same price, my Frigidaire winadors do the job faster and far better than the Vinotemp.
I also have a 28 ct. Vinotemp, and have watched it carefully. It works great, doesn't need an extra fan, and does a nice job, albeit far slower.

The only point is this...
When using a vino, it's very important to keep it closed as much as possible and to wait long periods after opening it before taking any readings so far as temp or RH%age.
Reason being, it takes a long, long time to recover from being opened.
Granted, recovery time hinges directly on how long the unit has been opened.

So, in my experience, any wine cooler will work and work well enough. Some will work better than others, and each type requires their own specific special considerations.
If you stick with the Vinotemp, you will have a HUGE pool of knowledge and experience at your fingertips, right here at CS.
If you go out on a limb and go with something different, you'll be on your own and stand a good chance of being disappointed.

Back