very pretty ... CAO Sopranos

Moglman

Mountain Hound
I stopped by the local B&M just to see if they had anything interesting. They now have a ton of special blend pipe tobacco, but that's another thread. No Anejos yet, but they did have some Opus X and these gorgeous looking beauties. I got gouged but I'm not very good at restraint.

I picked up these 6 CAO Sopranos, 2 associates, 2 soldiers and 2 bosses. This was the first day they had them for sale, 2 each per person per day. The dang guy behind the counter was grinning pretty big with one between his fingers. These will rest a short while, maybe, we'll see, not sure, before I try one. Nice oily Brazilian Mata Fina wrapper, the binder is Honduran, and a freaky Nic/DR/Col filler combo.

caosopranos112320050gg.gif

Nice score Moglman. I have had 1 in my humi for a month now. I bought it at an auction to benefit Katrina victims.

Nice score. Let us know how they are. I gifted mine to a London friend who is a CAO fan. I will have to wait until I can score a few more to try them.

Congrats on a great get !!!

Those Cigars look nice and I love brazilian wrapper but the presentation I am not so sure about... I see Gotti smoking a Cuban anyway..

Very nice presentation. They look very tasty as well. All of my local shops suck, so I'll have to try and score a few from the web. I pretty much have to get my hands on at least a couple, as big a fan as I am of The Soprano's.

Cheers!!
Steve

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :p

You lucky bastard :D

I have yet to see these locally, but I will ask the next time I stop in my B&M.

Those look incredibly tasty. I won a robusto from PaulHag Contest and will probably never smoke it, just look at it. It's a nice looking cigar, oily as hell

Did you put a coat of varnish on those,,they look great,,really like that topedo,,,first I saw of these,,thanks for posting the pictures..

Jerry in Minnesota.

There are a lot of mixed reviews on the Sopranos, and I dislike the marketing/branding aspect myself, but I figured I should post my thoughts.

After letting these rest a week+ in the humi, I had my first tonight. I smoked an Associate (robusto). I have to say that I really liked it. The pre-light aroma and draw were both excellent. There wasn't as much sheen as when I brought them home. It smells to me like sweet strong coffee and earth. The light was easy, and from the second or third draw I found the taste that would run throughout. Not really complex, but a smooth coffee/toffee flavor I really enjoyed. It was never harsh, kinda sweet, never sour. I think I expected a little more spice, which did pick up in the final third. The burn was off, but self correcting with some turning, and it is friggin cold with a steady breeze, so it didn't put me off, then it burned straight. The ash was firm, light grey, and held strong for about two inches, even with the wind. I think I smoked too fast bacause I was shivering, and would smoke at a more relaxed pace next time.

I have had cigars just as good for half the price, but it was still quite good. I can't justify paying the price being asked, so I doubt it will be a mainstay, but I'd still give it a thumbs up on taste and smokability. I hope CAO will realize that the gimmick isn't worth the cost, and adjust accordingly. If that happens, I'll buy them again. :2

I bought one of each of the two smaller sizes which are resting now in my humi. My B&M got them in two hours before I came in and he said I am the first to have them. Can't wait to smoke 'em! :w

They sure are pretty to look at too...

Moglman said:
I hope CAO will realize that the gimmick isn't worth the cost, and adjust accordingly. If that happens, I'll buy them again. :2

As I posted in another thread, the cost is being driven I am sure by the licensing fee that is being paid to HBO. The hope for those who like the cigar (and I did think it was a decent smoke) will be for CAO to continue making the cigar with the same blend, but with a different packaging, at a more appropriate price :) As I stated in my limited review, the most prominent flavor I got was one of black cherry, almost a creamy black cherry, did you notice any of this?

OpusEx said:
As I posted in another thread, the cost is being driven I am sure by the licensing fee that is being paid to HBO. The hope for those who like the cigar (and I did think it was a decent smoke) will be for CAO to continue making the cigar with the same blend, but with a different packaging, at a more appropriate price :)

If HBO was smart enough they would have some clause in the contract to where that blend could not be used in anything but the sopranos sticks. Anyplace to get these online, No one local has them.

Back