Vinotemp setup help thanks to: mtb996

houdini

aNYthing
Guys I PMed Mike to get some help with setting up my new Vinotemp. I got some great advice and with his permission, Im posting some of the info.

You could find his VERY informative thread here:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=160289

PLEASE THROW SOME SERIOUS RG TO MIKE - mtb996

Heres some of the PM's:

======================================================
Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini
Hi, thanks for sharing your setup..What did you use as a "ramp" for the extra condensation into the bowl?? Thanks again! Harry

RG on the way!

Hey Harry,

I actually cut up a plastic sheet that was a divider in a day planner book. It works well and is stiff enough to hold its shape to divert the condensation into the bowl. I've heard others use the flexible cutting boards with success. I attached it using black electrical tape. Its only been about a week, but it is holding shape nicely and the tape is not peeling at all (I can imagine that I may end up using glue or silicone to hold the plastic sheet if the tape ever lets go).

Have fun with the project and let me know if you have any further questions.

take care,
Mike

=======================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini
Any way you could point out what power supply I need online? Make pretend Im a dummy....cause in some ways, I am! :D

I used a 6V DC power supply I had that came from an old cordless phone or some other small device (cell phone, camera, etc.). I keep all that crap, so I actually had a 6V, 9V and 12V power supply to play with. I found 2 small 12V DC PC fans at Radioshack and found that the 6V power supply was plenty of power to move air around a Vino. The 9V and 12V would make the fan blow more air, but it really was not necessary.

For fans, I used something similar to:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

For the power supply, it is similar to:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I used one power supply for both fans, as it has plenty of power (watts) for 2 or more fans, and the Vinos are right next to each other. I didn't use a fance connector, just cut off the connector from the power supply and attached it to the fans (butt crimp or just wrap them and tape them).

Have fun!
Mike

=======================================================

Is one fan adequate?

I think 1 fan is fine. In the location that I have mine, it is next to the front, which has a decent gap from the shelves to the door panel. I can feel a good amount of air moving up the unit. With it being enclosed I cannot imagine needing more, especially with the cooling fan being in the back blowing outward. I haven't had a chance to move my hygrometer around the full unit yet, but that would be a good way to tell - I'll do that over the next week and report back if there are large discrepancies in RH or Temp.

Enjoy,:tu
Mike

=============================

THANKS AGAIN MIKE! With so many of us jumping on Targets sale, Im sure this is going to help alot of the BOTL's on CS.

Dont be shy to RG or BOMB the hell out of him! :D

Last edited:
Back