Vinotemp Woes

Perry72

Keystone Son
This is what it boils down to. In the basement, the room temp is 73. When my vino is running, it holds inside temp at 63, but rh dropd to 60 and no matter how high I set the hydra, it stays at 60 and wont budge. Even after letting it sit for several days. When I unplug my vino, the temp goes back to room temp of 73 and rh spikes to 70. After letting it sit for several days, the rh will come back down to 68, but will not settle down to 65 even though I set the hydra at 60. I am so confused. Seems like it's feast or famine. Can't get it just right. Any advice?

Ps. remote sensor is calibrated.

Perry

You mention a remote sensor what type is it ? I have an Oregon Scientific set up with a remote sensor, Funny thing is the remote sensor shows dead on 75 with salt test, but in the Vino it is way off from 2 other hygrometers that are dead on from salt test as well. The base unit inside the vino shows 64-66% with Scotts beads, and again salt tested dead on.

So guess my whole point is here I know at least my remote sensor for some reason inside the vino goes wacky. SO for now the base unit is in the vino and the remote unit is outside. just my experience with the vino.

You mention a remote sensor what type is it ? I have an Oregon Scientific set up with a remote sensor, Funny thing is the remote sensor shows dead on 75 with salt test, but in the Vino it is way off from 2 other hygrometers that are dead on from salt test as well. The base unit inside the vino shows 64-66% with Scotts beads, and again salt tested dead on.

So guess my whole point is here I know at least my remote sensor for some reason inside the vino goes wacky. SO for now the base unit is in the vino and the remote unit is outside. just my experience with the vino.

Maybe i can try that. I have the base sitting on top of the cooler. Maybe i'll throw that inside with the sensor and see what it says. At this point, i'll try anything....:confused:

What is several days? These things take forever to stabilize. How are you storing your cigars in the vinotemp? I would take beads over active humidification in a vinotemp. Set the vinotemp to 66 degrees, walk away, and don't touch it for at least a week. Just my :2

With 1.5lbs of beads, you do not need the hydra. Check the humidity inside your boxes, that's where it counts. The rh in the Vino will fluctuate. :tu
Trust in the Force(beads):2

This is what it boils down to. In the basement, the room temp is 73. When my vino is running, it holds inside temp at 63, but rh dropd to 60 and no matter how high I set the hydra, it stays at 60 and wont budge. Even after letting it sit for several days. When I unplug my vino, the temp goes back to room temp of 73 and rh spikes to 70. After letting it sit for several days, the rh will come back down to 68, but will not settle down to 65 even though I set the hydra at 60. I am so confused. Seems like it's feast or famine. Can't get it just right. Any advice?

Perry

FWIW I keep my Aristocrat cabinet set at 62% and my sticks smoke perfect. I know a few people that keep their cigars in the high 50's. I wouldn't stress out too much about the humidity. As long as you are in the 60's you are golden IMO. But I do agree with others that you don't need the hydra and beads. I would pull out the hydra and use only beads for a while and see how your sticks feel and smoke.

I have a Lb of Rh beads and mine varies the RH between the top and the bottom (top 62 - bottom 68). I never had a good solid lock on 65% but the room temp's is around 79 so she runs alot. Maybe if I add another Lb of beads it would even out. I'd trust going with only beads would be the best solution, an active system and beads sounds like overkill to me.

1 Vino (set at 67 degrees)+1 Lbs of 65%beads (Divided by 3 or 4 and spaced throughout the humi)+1 room that is usually 74-77 degrees = smokes that stay at 67-68 degrees and 66%-69% =:tu:ss

First question is how are your cigar smoking? If there are no burn problems and the taste is 'normal' the I'd say it's not time to panick yet.

One possibility is your hygro is not accurate at 65F as Av8tor152d suggested. Personally I don't use a hygro in my daily humi anymore. I base my humidity adjustments on the physical and smoking characterstics of the cigars.

As long as you are in the 60's you are golden IMO.

:tpd: How they feel and smoke is most important. You could stress endlessly about the numbers.

Don't make me bust out the Bad Seal.

standard.jpg

I would put some dry beads in there with sprayed beads to suck up some of the moisture it will help alot

Perry

Set the temp at 66 degrees and see what happens. Setting the temp to low will keep the cooler running, causing condensation to form on the cooling unit.

Back