Way to review/rate cigars

uncballzer

aka Silky
When I first got started smoking cigars, I had several people recommend keeping a journal of what I smoke so that I can remember what I like and what I didn't like. Well, after filling up about 50 pages of a 70 page notebook, it got old pretty quick writing all that out, plus I was running out of paper. So instead, I made an outline (just like how I redo my notes in school) where all I have to do is make one-liners, check marks, or put down numbers. All I do now is print out a bunch of these, punch holes in the paper, and file it away in a notebook. It's helped me get this far, letting me better remember what I have smoked, and if I enjoyed it or not, and I actually enjoy using one of these sheets for every new type of cigar I smoke. Since I have a bunch of singles that I've not yet smoked, but want to, it sometimes limits what I smoke, especially if I can't take the time to sit down and fill out the sheet.

What I'm asking of CS, do you think there is anything else I should add to this sheet? Or take away? I'm trying my best to keep it on one page to simplify things. Right now, I'm using every line, but I could always decrease the text size to add a few more lines. Also, I don't necessarily rate a number to a cigar, but rather rate it in descriptive terms: buy, not buy, good, special cigar, etc. The only numbers I'm using are really just for the single stick assessment; for example, on draw I would say that something that is tighter than trying to suck a golfball thru a water-hose would be 5/5 on the tight side, etc.

So, does anyone have any ideas of how I could make this better? It's attached pdf, so I'm hoping everything works well. Thanks guys!

When I first got started smoking cigars, I had several people recommend keeping a journal of what I smoke so that I can remember what I like and what I didn't like. Well, after filling up about 50 pages of a 70 page notebook, it got old pretty quick writing all that out, plus I was running out of paper. So instead, I made an outline (just like how I redo my notes in school) where all I have to do is make one-liners, check marks, or put down numbers. All I do now is print out a bunch of these, punch holes in the paper, and file it away in a notebook. It's helped me get this far, letting me better remember what I have smoked, and if I enjoyed it or not, and I actually enjoy using one of these sheets for every new type of cigar I smoke. Since I have a bunch of singles that I've not yet smoked, but want to, it sometimes limits what I smoke, especially if I can't take the time to sit down and fill out the sheet.

What I'm asking of CS, do you think there is anything else I should add to this sheet? Or take away? I'm trying my best to keep it on one page to simplify things. Right now, I'm using every line, but I could always decrease the text size to add a few more lines. Also, I don't necessarily rate a number to a cigar, but rather rate it in descriptive terms: buy, not buy, good, special cigar, etc. The only numbers I'm using are really just for the single stick assessment; for example, on draw I would say that something that is tighter than trying to suck a golfball thru a water-hose would be 5/5 on the tight side, etc.

So, does anyone have any ideas of how I could make this better? It's attached pdf, so I'm hoping everything works well. Thanks guys!

What a great idea. This is really nice, really comprehensive.
Wish I had some of these criteria to rate some of the woman I dated in college too.

Awesome file man! Dont have anything you could add, but do you have it in any other format than pdf? I'd like to be able to use that and fill it in electronically and store.

Awesome file man! Dont have anything you could add, but do you have it in any other format than pdf? I'd like to be able to use that and fill it in electronically and store.

I've got it in word2007; come to think of it though, I think I can save it in regular word format; let me try:

The only thing though, most of it is in column format, and adding things next to it will mess up the format, unless you don't care about having more than one page, which electronically will be no problem.

Personally I would add the following
Cigar length
Cigar Ring Gauge
Price
Buy again Y/N

Still a nice idea though

I think it's a very good concept, but I also like the freedom of writing a review my way. While I may most frequently stick to a standard format, I like to think it's not a "requirement". Our reviews are, not unlike our smoking experiences, in that they are our own.

I hope that makes as much sense to others as it does to me? It is not meant to be at all critical. Can ya dig it?
:)

You could keep a notebook by hand just to jot down quickly while smoking, but it would be a lot cooler to transfer your notes over to hard copy, then print them off, paste the cigar band on the page, and make your own little Bible.

Think about it, it would be definitely worth the extra time to really create an awesome, comprehensive Bible of your personal cigar experience.

I think it's a very good concept, but I also like the freedom of writing a review my way. While I may most frequently stick to a standard format, I like to think it's not a "requirement". Our reviews are, not unlike our smoking experiences, in that they are our own.

I hope that makes as much sense to others as it does to me? It is not meant to be at all critical. Can ya dig it?
:)
I'm definitely not trying to force this on anyone, by any means. I just feel like there's something I may be missing that is an important step. But I do write in a lot on the pages, not just a yes/no thing. For my first padron 64, i didn't have a corner of space left on the page. But I definitely understand what you're saying, and agree that we each experience each cigar differently from one another, and from cigar to cigar.

You could keep a notebook by hand just to jot down quickly while smoking, but it would be a lot cooler to transfer your notes over to hard copy, then print them off, paste the cigar band on the page, and make your own little Bible.

Think about it, it would be definitely worth the extra time to really create an awesome, comprehensive Bible of your personal cigar experience.

That's how I started out--glued the band to the top of the page in my first journal, but I've not done that yet with these. I do print off a lot and write on the sheet while I'm smoking. Let's me be away from the computer for a while :ss. I do have a 1" notebook that I'm storing these in, so in essence I am making a little book. I don't know if I'll put the bands on these yet or not though, right now I'm just storing them in an old fuente box.

Back