Western Caliber III or Little Havana hygrometer??

I have several of each...the Western Caliber III is far more accurate and reliable...when I purchased mine I was able to get them on ebay for around $20 plus S&H...dunno if the cost is the same now...

Depending on your setup, you might consider one of the multi-sensor wireless Temp/RH setups. The sensor is larger than a normal hygrometer, but the benefit is that you don't have to keep opening the lid of your humidor to check, because the measurements are broadcast to a base unit elsewhere in the room.

Many of us have bought the Oregon Scientific / Radio Shack model, but there are other fine models out there to choose from, and because the sensors tend to run about $10 on sale, if you buy them on sale, the entire setup is the same cost as a regular WCIII, possibly less, depending on the price, but with more benefits.

I think you are basically buying the same thing either way.

Both will be up to 4-5% inaccurate anywhere in the spectrum (not just the extremes). I've had a diamond crown and a savoy and both were inaccurate. I was especially disappointed in the diamond crown hygrometer as it was 4% low right where it was expected measure, in the mid 60% rh range. How poor is that?

I tested a radio shack hygrometer (it really is an outdoor sensor that matches up with a weather station, but it can work as a stand alone) and it was accurate so that is what I use now. $12 at radio shack and I made sure that I could return it if it wasn't accurate.

I like the user calibrated ones you can get from Viper or Mark, aafter calibration they are essentially exactly on.:D

Yeah those are the ones. they both seem to work just as well however the round one is pretty small so the rectangular one has a bit larger display.

either are good though!

I want to try the perfecto shaped hygro. Think I might have to pull the trigger.
I'm serious when I say it's not that accurate...I use a Boveda Hygrometer Calibration Kit to check all my hygrometers...the Little Havana's I find consistantly run 4-6%RH off...the Western Caliber 3's are either dead on, or no more than 1-2%RH off...after I test them I mark them...and then I generally retest them about every 6 months and replace the batteries at the one year mark...

any of you know why my diamond crown hygro sucks so much (6%rh OFF) the cheap analog that came with the humidor is far more accurate. Stupid piece of crap :c .....:D

I'm serious when I say it's not that accurate...I use a Boveda Hygrometer Calibration Kit to check all my hygrometers...the Little Havana's I find consistantly run 4-6%RH off...the Western Caliber 3's are either dead on, or no more than 1-2%RH off...after I test them I mark them...and then I generally retest them about every 6 months and replace the batteries at the one year mark...

Well, may have to look into getting a Western then. THanks for letting me know. Think I might try to find one

I have the 12 Wal-Mart version. It reads both temp and humidity. I think that because of my expanding collection I am going to go give the RadioShack line a try. At least if I do that I can take it back, and I don't have to send it to the store.

I bought a little havana and I love it. I use it primarily in my cigar caddies but it sits in a full-sized humi between trips. With the salt test is is off by about +0.5%. I also love the magnet instead of velcro.

Back