what are the pros and cons of punches

MusicMan

Young Ape
I'm now cutting my cigars with a Xikar but I'm thinking of trying a punch. I've been told that you get nasty tar build up that screws the smoke up. Any help is greatly apreciated, thankx guys :cb

pro: you won't get in as much trouble as using a knife or gun.
con: you risk the chance of hurting your hand, maybe breaking it even.
:tu

:r

I'm a jujitsu guy, so I prefer to drag the guy to the ground and choke him unconscious...but to each his own :D

:r

I'm a jujitsu guy, so I prefer to drag the guy to the ground and choke him unconscious...but to each his own :D

If you miss then the guy might grapple you into submission...Sometimes kicks are more lethal if launched with a solid foundation. :r

Man this thread got off topic fast. I used to use a punch because I liked the neatness of the hole it made. After a while of having my cheeks hurt from pulling too hard I decided to switch. I now have an Xikar as well and I love it. My :2:2.

I perfer a punch to a cutter, but do use both. I find that the punch is cleaner and I never have a draw issue (other than a bad stick).
There really is no true pro or con to either it is truly about personal preference.
One other thing, Joel Sherman gave a lecture at a Herf I attended in NY and he said he always uses a punch or cats eye as he feels it focuses the smoke more to give a better flavor. Never really thought about it, but just a point.

Dave

I use both. But lately, I've been using a steel bullet shell casing with a sharpened rim edge. It actually works quite well.
As with even good cutters, sometimes the wrapper can crack when using it.
But 90% of the time, it offers a clean perfect shaped cut.
For me, a 7mm magnum rifle bullet casing is just the right size for me. Sharpen the edge with a knife sharpening stone.
... and you can pick them up for free at the local gun range.

cheap, simple, effective

i used to use a punch as my primary and every once in a while, i'd get tar build up (i think usually on larger RG cigars). if you have draw problems, you can always just punch another hole or two or three. make yourself a clover. i kept a punch on my key ring, so it was just convenient.

I've been using a puch a lot lately because I like the mouth-feel of the draw and the cap of the cigar still being there as opposed to an edge. I only use it on mid-range ring guages though. Smaller smokes and larger smokes get the chop. And when the smoke gets bitter, I cut it and it tastes alright again for a while.

I occasionally use a punch on mild cigars.

milder cigars (I believe) have less tar than the full bodied Ligero versions. Also it will help focus the sometimes weaker flavors in a mild cigar.

I have heard of people punching a large ring gauge cigar multiple times. This may reduce tar build-up as well. :2

I punch small cigars, cut the bigger ones (and torps). FWIW, I use the larger punches, like the Xikar ones. I found the smaller (standard size) punches to be too restrictive.

I find a small sharp knife works much better than a punch because you can adjust the size of the hole. I rarely bother with cutters or punches anymore. Punches I've found often tear the wrapper and cutters (xikar, palio, etc) rarely cut as clean as I like. The best cutter I've ever used is the cheap single blade one.

Back