What do you drink with your stogie?

mr.c

In a corner
I get to have the first post :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well whats everyone drinking with their favorite stick???? I like rum myself, the others in my group like scotch :pu cant stand the stuff.

joe

COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE!!

When drinking alcohol I prefer dark beer. Can't stand whiskey, fruity drinks, wine, etc..
Surprisingly I've never tried a good rum with a cigar, but I could see that being very enjoyable.

Yes, dark beer works very well. I had a Kwak beer (dark Belgian) yesterday with my smoke and it really enhanced the flavor.

I like beer. But, it has to be one that isn't too hoppy. I love IPAs but the hop bitterness combats the cigar. A nice malty, understated ale is just about perfect. Such as Fat Tire Amber Ale. Mmmmmm, ale..... :al

SB

Most of the time a drink beer (prefer rum though) Ever had Moose head?? It is a sweet lager that goes good with a full bodied or spicey stick. Corona goes well with many cigars . :al

joe

mr.c said:
Most of the time a drink beer (prefer rum though) Ever had Moose head?? It is a sweet lager that goes good with a full bodied or spicey stick. Corona goes well with many cigars . :al

joe

Well, I happen to be a bit of a beer snob! I have had Moose Head (long time ago) but I prefer ales to domestic lagers. I also homebrew so that is really my ultimate preferred beverage!!! But, the best beer is free beer. :D

SB

Oh no, not Corona !!! [words of another beer snob]
Unless that one is kept entirely in the dark (pretty much impossible if you're buying from a liquor store), it spoils very quickly. There's a reason for beer generally being sold in dark bottles. Why do you think they suggest you have a lime with it?

Alert! Thread hijacking! I didn't really want to get into this but Corona has a multitude of problems. The brewery is 50% owned by Anheseur Busch so the push to be the "King of Beers of Mexico" is a little disconcerting. Clear glass=bad, skunked out beer. Lots of advertising=very expensive skunked out beer. If I was laying in the sun and someone gave me a Corona, I'd be thrilled but I wouldn't buy it myself. There are much better quality selections out there for the $$$. But, again, drink what you like. If it is beer it is better than water!!! :p

SB

SilvrBck said:
Alert! Thread hijacking! I didn't really want to get into this but Corona has a multitude of problems. The brewery is 50% owned by Anheseur Busch so the push to be the "King of Beers of Mexico" is a little disconcerting. Clear glass=bad, skunked out beer. Lots of advertising=very expensive skunked out beer. If I was laying in the sun and someone gave me a Corona, I'd be thrilled but I wouldn't buy it myself. There are much better quality selections out there for the $$$. But, again, drink what you like. If it is beer it is better than water!!! :p

SB
I agree 100% Corona is what Mexico exports to us Americans...Tecate and Negro Medello are excellent Beers from South of the Border.

Corona you either like it or hate it, catch a lot of flak when I drink it in bars for the same reasons above. I have not had a skunked corona yet (how can you tell if its bad anyways :r ) I like it, dont buy it too often, has a uniqe taste to it.

Negro Medello great beer, tecate = :pu

Anyone have a drink selection for a Punch Punch that I will be toasting up tonite ???????????????????

Great thread so far !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Pepper! Always, Dr. Pepper - with the possible deviation to kaulah (sp?)and cream (WARNING: NEVER drink Kaluah and cream with a cheap stick, you will never forget the flavor.... :pu )

I'm with Goose on this one, nothing beats a good Bourbon with a great stick. Wild Turkey when money is tight, Van Winkle when its not.

I like to experiement with different drink/smoke combinations. Like wine with food, I think a drink and a cigar should not just "work" together, but enhance eachother.

So far, in my limited experience, I have enjoyed certain cigars paired with ice water, rum, port, coke, coffee, ale, porter, stout and beer.

I haven't had much luck in pairing red wines with smokes, but I'm wondering if a beaujolais might work with something like a RP Vintage. I'm still searching for a cigar that works with sake.

KingMeatyHand said:
I like to experiement with different drink/smoke combinations. Like wine with food, I think a drink and a cigar should not just "work" together, but enhance eachother.

So far, in my limited experience, I have enjoyed certain cigars paired with ice water, rum, port, coke, coffee, ale, porter, stout and beer.

I haven't had much luck in pairing red wines with smokes, but I'm wondering if a beaujolais might work with something like a RP Vintage. I'm still searching for a cigar that works with sake.
I've had a good red wine from the Aletejano(sp?) region of Portugal (brand was Monte Velho) and it complimented my MC#4 very well. Also; I hear Borba is also very good.

To answer the initial question I like diferent things at different times....Glenlivit, Dark rum, port, beers, ales, lagers, stouts......the list goes on

SilvrBck said:
Well, I happen to be a bit of a beer snob! I have had Moose Head (long time ago) but I prefer ales to domestic lagers. I also homebrew so that is really my ultimate preferred beverage!!! But, the best beer is free beer. :D

SB

Hey I hear you. Major beer snob and homebrewer here myself. Personally I really dislike Moosehead. Most of the lagers that are actually worth drinking come from Germany or the Czech Republic. Love the avatar btw, Greg Koch is doing great things over there at Stone. I can't wait to see what the 8th anniversary beer is, it's bound to be something great.

As for me, beer is my drink of choice with my cigars. A good rule of thumb is the darker the wrap, the darker the beer. There are exceptions, but I find that it works pretty well. I found Victory Prima Pils went great with a Romeo Y Julieta No. 2 last night. Nothing better than good beer + a good cigar.

partagaspete said:
I agree 100% Corona is what Mexico exports to us Americans...Tecate and Negro Medello are excellent Beers from South of the Border.

An even better Mexican Beer choice is Casta. They make a multitude of excellent beers such as pale ales, wheats, and belgians. Very good stuff, and blows Tecate and Negro Modella out of the water.

Corona could very likely be my most disliked beer. I've never had one that wasn't skunked, and I can't stand their marketing sleaziness.

For anyone curious, the hops in a beer release alpha acids when boiled, these alpha acids are highly light sensitive and create "skunk"-like flavors and aromas when exposed to UV rays. Miller has produced hop extracts that provide the beer with bitterness, but won't skunk. You'll notice Miller uses clear bottles, but never has skunked beer. Now, if only they would add enough bitterness for the tongue to actually sense, and it would be great.

SmokyJones said:
An even better Mexican Beer choice is Casta. They make a multitude of excellent beers such as pale ales, wheats, and belgians. Very good stuff, and blows Tecate and Negro Modella out of the water.

Corona could very likely be my most disliked beer. I've never had one that wasn't skunked, and I can't stand their marketing sleaziness.

For anyone curious, the hops in a beer release alpha acids when boiled, these alpha acids are highly light sensitive and create "skunk"-like flavors and aromas when exposed to UV rays. Miller has produced hop extracts that provide the beer with bitterness, but won't skunk. You'll notice Miller uses clear bottles, but never has skunked beer. Now, if only they would add enough bitterness for the tongue to actually sense, and it would be great.
Mmmmm must try Mmmmmm

"Beer is proof that god loves man"
-Benjamin Franklin

Back