What do you think the highest constant temp should be

zamco17

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I have no problem with humidity its always 69-70%, but i live in south texas and it gets pretty warm in my apartment. Is 75-77 degress during the day too hot? ive heard mixed reviews, at night it drops to 71 or 72 but during the day it will top out at 77. Whats your take?

I try not to let mine get much above 72 or 73 during the summer, I prefer a little cooler but the air can't keep up at times and it will drift upwards of 75 for a short while. Never had a problem yet.

75-77 IS too hot IMHO.

65-70 max

Try relocating your humi to the coolest part of your house, like under some stairs on the lowest level of your house

~Mark

I think its border line too hot. You risk the dreaded beetle plague @ those temps. If you can't do anything to store your cigars @ a lower temperature you should probably seriously consider freezing your cigars before you store them in order to reduce the likelihood of an outbreak.

n2advnture said:
75-77 IS too hot IMHO.

65-70 max

Try relocating your humi to the coolest part of your house, like under some stairs on the lowest level of your house

~Mark

:tpd: I get nervous at 70 honestly. I keep everything at 60/60.

Here in SW Florida the temp with the air on is a constant 78, the temp we are comfortable at. That is why I built a humidor with cooling unit. I think I will end up with 67F and 64% RH.

Texas heat is tough. Last year I was running 77-78 in my humidor all summer, with no problems. I never kept that many sticks, though, and never kept them for any length of time, either.
There was no way I was going to chance those temps again. I have gone the TE wine chiller route, there is plenty of advice about them available here.
I now keep 65-68 degrees and 63-65% humidity.

The temp hit 100 yesterday, Texas is gonna have a SUMMER!!

The coolest room in my house? Hmmm...that runs about 75 until the power company selectivley turns off power to avoid a total blackout (this happened 2 days ago)

I've never wanted to spend the money on a wine fridge...I might do it if I didnt' think my wife would declare me insane (she refers to my cancer sticks often enough as is without me "obsessing" about temp. as she would say).

With all of that said, I've not yet had a beetle problem. fingers crossed. My sticks hit 74-75 during the summer afternoons. I understand that this is not ideal for long term aging, but it works for me!

Agree with the above post...this TX summer is gonna be insane...might have to look into the wine chiller.

zamco17 said:
I have no problem with humidity its always 69-70%, but i live in south texas and it gets pretty warm in my apartment. Is 75-77 degress during the day too hot? ive heard mixed reviews, at night it drops to 71 or 72 but during the day it will top out at 77. Whats your take?

a wise man once told me: "the magic # is 140. don't let the combination of RH and temp add up to be 140 or more, that is when you run the risk of a beetle outbreak."

if it were me, i'd be worried if my temp was a constant 75*F. but that's me (and i don't own any cigars anymore - but if i did).

I don't worry too much about this. The temperature in my humidor spends most of the summer above 70 degrees. Sometimes it pushes 80 degrees. To date, I have not had a problem. While I have never seen it in print until IHT posted it above, I have always let the humidity drift low with the increasing temperature. That 140 guideline makes sense to me.

Keep it drier if the temps get high, you could hatch beetles and that is a heartbreaker like losing a loved one...

For those of us in areas that are both hot and very humid, what is the best way to reduce the humidity in the humidor when the ambient humidity is consistently high?
Also, seems as if I have trouble getting the wrapper to keep pace with the filler on humid nights. Any way to fix this?

I'm not really sure - because I've never been there - but isn't it kind of warm and sort of humid in Cuba most of the time?

Here's a thought - don't let the temperature drop below the dew point in your humidor. Your cigars will get very soggy.

Since I have no experience storing cigars in the summer heat, tell me; will the inside of a coolerdor have a lower temp than the ambient temperature on the outside? Even a couple of degrees might be the difference...

joed said:
I'm not really sure - because I've never been there - but isn't it kind of warm and sort of humid in Cuba most of the time?

Here's a thought - don't let the temperature drop below the dew point in your humidor. Your cigars will get very soggy.

I started another thread on this. Unless they have good air conditioning (which I doubt) the Cubans would have a hard time keeping cigars at the "perfect" 70/70. I wonder how they made do all these years.

this thread couldn't have popped up at more perfect time...

i'm in the mid-south and we get hot in the spring/summer time as well. my humidor is currently running at 73 degrees on average and that is the absolute best i can do - without just giving my paycheck to the electric company. occasionally, i'll see a spike to 74...

i understand i'm running a risk (i LIKE that 140 factor, btw!) but what i'd like to know from some of you - if i freeze my cigars, will i take the potential beetle outbreak out of the equation? and if so, how long do i freeze and am i going to affect the taste of the cigars?

any input would be appreciated!

el duderino...

joed said:

In Cuba, they may not have any humidifying element in their humidors; just a cedar box or even leave them out in the open.

Back