What is going on with my Rocky Patel Vintage 92s?

The Bruce

ChestBeater
I love this cigar, at least I love the first 3/4s of it. The last quarter starts to taste bitter. I purge it and still it's bitter. What on earth is going on? This was the third I have smoked, and the third this has happened on. Could it be the way I am lighting it? Could it be a wet cigar? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks Brothers and Sisters,

Erik

White97Jimmy said:
Perhaps they need some resting time?

What does resting time do to a cigar? I am guessing since it's a Vintage 1992 it's been resting for 13 years. Is resting different than aging? :confused:

I know a few things about cigars, but I am yet to be all knowing.

Thanks,

Erik

Someone correct me if I am wrong but in this instance I believe the tabacco is aged but the cigar could have been rolled a month ago. Most cigars taste better when they are aged in their rolled cigar form.

neoflex said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but in this instance I believe the tabacco is aged but the cigar could have been rolled a month ago. Most cigars taste better when they are aged in their rolled cigar form.

Correct :)

"You aren't puffing away too fast are you? That can make a cigar become hot and bitter."

Also might be over humidified. I've noticed if a stick is a bit wet to begin with, It may start out ok but burn issues and bitterness get worse as I smoke it.

Now wait a minute. He did say the first 3/4 was good. As far as the last 1/4 of any cigar...well, that's always a crapshoot. I personally think I've had a total success if I make it past half way without major incident. Smoking style does impact the experience as mentioned above. Never smoke a cigar if in a hurry. You'll always be disappointed.

Larry

Could be you are smoking it too fast. Are the RPV92's from the same box? You could have purchased an odd box.

I think both what Jimmy & Larry have said could have be the case. Some cigars aren't that great smoking to a nub.

The last 1/4 of the cigar is where you are having the problems (i hope i read this right). Well, in my experience the bitter taste may just be that the smoke is very hot and burns your tongue slightly, givingit a seemingly bitter taste. This is somewhat unavoidable however you smoke as once the cigar gets too short, the burning part of the gar which makes the smoke hot will be very close to your mouth. this gives the smoke less time and opportunity (being 'filtered' through other tabacco leaves and losing its heat to them) to cool down, so making the smoke hot/'bitter'. You either have to work through the pain or just chuck it, in my experience.

The Bruce said:
I love this cigar, at least I love the first 3/4s of it. The last quarter starts to taste bitter. I purge it and still it's bitter. What on earth is going on? This was the third I have smoked, and the third this has happened on. Could it be the way I am lighting it? Could it be a wet cigar? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks Brothers and Sisters,

Erik

Maybe he should try a flame purge?

jcruz1027 said:
Some cigars aren't that great smoking to a nub.

That's funny. The RP Vintage is about the [size=+1]only[/size] cigar that I can burn to the nub. Different strokes.

Like everyone else has said, try to slow down a lot and really enjoy that last little bit. Though I do like them, I think the Vintages indeed burn hotter towards the end.

larryinlc said:
Now wait a minute. He did say the first 3/4 was good. As far as the last 1/4 of any cigar...well, that's always a crapshoot. I personally think I've had a total success if I make it past half way without major incident. Smoking style does impact the experience as mentioned above. Never smoke a cigar if in a hurry. You'll always be disappointed.

Larry

I agree. I usually purge and then take mini-puffs when I'm 2/3 through, and hope for the best.

CthulhuDawn said:
That's funny. The RP Vintage is about the [size=+1]only[/size] cigar that I can burn to the nub. Different strokes.

Like everyone else has said, try to slow down a lot and really enjoy that last little bit. Though I do like them, I think the Vintages indeed burn hotter towards the end.

The last few V92's I've had have also really flamed up towards the end. Didn't stop me from smoking the damn things to the nub though.

Back