What is more addictive: Cigar or Pipe?

I think there's more nicotine in a cigar than there is in a bowl of pipe tobacco, so on that front I'd say that cigars have greater potential for addiction. That said, I would argue that many of us are not addicted to cigars or to pipes; they're just something we enjoy on a regular basis. I've never felt like I need to smoke a cigar, and going a long time without one doesn't bother me. It's just something I like to do on occasion.

The short answer for me is that it doesn't matter which is more addictive, I'm not addicted to either one of them.

I think there's more nicotine in a cigar than there is in a bowl of pipe tobacco, so on that front I'd say that cigars have greater potential for addiction. That said, I would argue that many of us are not addicted to cigars or to pipes; they're just something we enjoy on a regular basis. I've never felt like I need to smoke a cigar, and going a long time without one doesn't bother me. It's just something I like to do on occasion.

The short answer for me is that it doesn't matter which is more addictive, I'm not addicted to either one of them.

Are you the same kjjm from the 1911 forum?

DG

I don't think so. I do use this name on several other forums, but I'm not a member of any 1911 forums.

Pretty sure he's the same kjjm from PbNation though.

As kjjm said, I don't think many of us are physically addicted to cigars or pipes.

Thanks for the answers. Maybe it would be a good idea though to keep the replies in the original thread. This was just meant to be a link to the original thread. Otherwise we get two parallel discussions running but some of us might never see what the other party has to say. That would be sad on this interdisciplinary subject.

I did some reading and it seems that yes cigars do contain more nicotine than cigarettes but that if you don't inhale and smoke only occassionaly there is less nicotine absorbed by the body (like second hand smoke) and that it is absorbed and digested much slower. Apparently the speed of nicotine absorption (rate of increase of nic level in blood) is a major factor in the addiction potential.

I have also noticed that I can without a problem smoke two pipes in a row or at least on the same day but I rarely ever do so with cigars.

Till

I have also noticed that I can without a problem smoke two pipes in a row or at least on the same day but I rarely ever do so with cigars.

Till

This is really gonna depend on which pipe tobac you are smoking. There are plenty of ropes, twists and shag pipe tobaccos out there that will flat lay you out on about 10 puffs. So of course mileage varies

They are both equally addictive. Talking about them. Reading others comments and thoughts can be very dangerous to your wallet. Exploring differences in brands and years.... it's the slope(s) not the nicotine. :D

Edit: I guess pipes can actually be worse as you collect the "smoking implement" as well as the smoke. Seems like a much less expensive habit than cigars... at first. :D

Da Klugs and Evan, I know what you are talking about respectively. I just started pipe smoking but already shelled out the money for a beautiful Les Wood Ferndown pipe, entirely unnecessary, of course.

And the other day I had a tightly packed big bowl of London Mixture by Dunhill and I did feel the effect as with a big cuban curchill; perhaps more so and less agreeable.

To make things worse, I generally have a very expensive taste and I really like things for their beauty and craftsmanship and singularity. I do this more for my own enjoyment then for the show-off effect and usually I get to the level of refinement where Joe Schmoe on the street would not even recognize it as something special but a true aficionado would.

Till

I am a nicotene addict. I don't mind facing that fact. If you smoke everyday, chances are you are one too, depending on what and how often you smoke.

If you think cigars are more potent than pipe tobacco, try some Irish Flake or Brown Rope #4 for a chance to revise your opinion.

Whats more addictive, I think it's the addiction to always having to have 1 more stick, 1 more pipe, 1 more humidor, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that can look back and what's been spent on Cigars, Pipes, Tobacco, etc, and say damn....... Sure has been a fun ride though, for me anyway. The wife doesn't agree so much...... :ss

I've always been of the belief that you need to be predisposed to addiction in order to become addicted to most anything. I smoked a pack or two of cigarettes a day for 3 years. My girlfriend (now wife) said she didn't like me smoking and I quit that day with no problem. My mom smoked cigarettes for years and couldn't quit to save her life. I know your talking pipes vs. cigars but I believe addiction is a more complicated problem than the substances involved.

MCS

Back