What is the 1666 story?

jmasterj

Young Ape
Do any gorillas know the story behind the Graycliff 1666 and whether they are a new line from Graycliff made just for CI or they are a pre-existing line repackaged for CI.
Thanks

Do any gorillas know the story behind the Graycliff 1666 and whether they are a new line from Graycliff made just for CI or they are a pre-existing line repackaged for CI.
Thanks

This might help:

The site of the Graycliff Resort was originally a church built in 1666, one of Nassau’s first structures and certainly most prominent. Known as the "Pride of the Bahamas," this historic site later served as a fort before becoming home to the grand 5-star resort it is today. Its visitor list has included Sir Winston Churchill, Aristotle Onassis, Paul Newman, King Constantine, the Beatles....just to name a few.

Today - Graycliff boasts one of the top boutique cigar factories in the world. Employing a mere one dozen skilled master-rollers, this small factory is home to the top-rated Graycliff cigar brand.

To call attention its nearly 450 year history, Graycliff ’1666’ was crafted. This rich, redolent beauty is easily the prettiest Graycliff made....its dark, toothy Jaltepec maduro wrapper was carefully selected, combined with an extensively-aged recipe of Peruvian, Columbian, Brazilian, and Mexican long-fillers, a multi-country mixture secured by an Ecuadorian Sumatra binder. The cigar is perfectly balanced, releasing a complex smorgasbord of unique flavors and mouthwatering aromas. Deep, smooth, notes of earth, nuts, and coffee coat the palate - leaving behind the faintest hint of sweet spices, completing a luxurious and memorable medium-bodied experience. One would expect nothing less from Graycliff.

Honestly, the first one I had was not good, burn issues, bitterness,etc. Set them in the Humi for a month and they were quite enjoyable. I still like the PG better but this is a good smoke at a decent price online. Not so decent price in the local B & M.

I just got a cbid members email yesterday, 10 1666's for 30 bucks, four different sizes.
I bid on two deals, 60 bucks for 20 Graycliffs is a nice price.
Chuck (chasden) gave me one of these a couple months ago when he was visiting. It was one of the prettiest cigars I ever saw. Sumbitch was absolutely horrid.
This happened to me with their Double Espresso's, and after a couple months they were fabulous. Then a couple months later they were totally boring, very bland.
I haven't had a good GDE since.
My guess is that these ones will have a short window where they're good, too.

I called Chuck to see if the 1666's he had laying down had gotten any better and he hasn't tried them since we had them here, so I can't comment on how they age.
If we could get Chuck to spark one up, that'd help. :D

I actually think the 1666 is a really good cigar. not worth the MSRP but well worth the cbid price. My only problem with them is they make me sweat when I smoke them....Anyone else have this happen to them?

yeah I went to their website and it didn't mention anything about the line. I've seen these around for a few months now and will be giving them a try. This must be the economy line then as their other lines look like they get very pricey.

Here's my review of them: http://www.stogiereview.com/fanforum/index.php?topic=831.0

I had some bad construction issues with the first three but the last two have been pretty good. Good flavor too. Overall I like them, they just seem to work better in the smaller sizes.

I also had some burn issues. But I think some rest time might help with that. FWIW from the research I did, I believe they are not made at the Hotel in the Bahamas, but in Honduras....

I had a 1666 tonight.
I enjoyed the flavor but it was frustrating as it was a very tight draw. It turned into an exercise in frustration. I only made it about half way through before abandoning it.

I had a 1666 tonight.
I enjoyed the flavor but it was frustrating as it was a very tight draw. It turned into an exercise in frustration. I only made it about half way through before abandoning it.

Hmm, draw wasn't an issue on any of mine, just weird holes in the filler, burns and a piece of twine.

And I believe they are made in Nicaragua. For the price that you can get on joecigar or cbid they are pretty good smoke, but like all of them there's no way I'd pay close to msrp.

And I believe they are made in Nicaragua.

Honduras actually. Which caused me concern initially because I relied on the CI product description for the story on these. They really play up the whole boutique angle and how they have only a small number of rollers and how famous the Hotel is, blah blah blah without mentioning that these are made FOR Graycliff as opposed to being made BY them.

Ultimately it wasn't a big deal because I really enjoyed these things. YMMV

If this is true, then Graycliff and Avelino don't really have anything to do with this line besides packaging it. From the looks of it they don't even do the marketing of it, CI does. IS this the story?

I love this cigar. I had gotten 2 fivers and then sprung for a bundle.
I go to grab one today and I see the Honduras gov't label. I couldn't believe it. The Columbian tobacco flavor is what I love. It reminds me of some of the Rico's cigars (Gran Habano). I gotta find out who really makes these, it's making me crazy.
Can I still walk around thinking I'm soooooo cool smoking a Graycliff?
I hope so!:ss

Back