What is your favorite Cigar related publication

What is your favorite cigar related magazine (aside from online ones)

• Cigar Aficianado

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Cigar Magazine

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Smoke

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • European Cigar Cult Journal

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (see below)

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters

PaulMac

CS Noob Ambassador
With all the discussion of CA (and other magazines) I was wondering what everyones favorite mag was and why.

I don't have as many issues with CA as some other people do (I've had a subscription for almost a decade now), but I still prefer the Journal as far as cigar content goes.

I like CA for the articles regarding the cool men stuff like electronics and the such. Their reviews on cigars are ok but sometimes are outta wack. I dont have experice with the other magazines because I cannot find them around my area.

croatan said:
I don't have as many issues with CA as some other people do (I've had a subscription for almost a decade now), but I still prefer the Journal as far as cigar content goes.

Yeah, thats why I picked journal as well, cigar content is the best there and appears to be most unbiased.

I subscribe to CA but only for the reveiws and advestisments honestly.
"Cigar' magazine is alright, a little better at getting behind the scenes IMHO but there reveiw system is a little confusing...

Personally, I prefer Cigar Magazine just for the content. I figure if I am spending the money on a magazine about cigars and my interest is in cigars then I want the magazine to be predominately about cigars. Nothing in particular against CA but as I said, if I'm buying a magazine about cigars, that's what I want to read about - not cars or vacation destinations I can't afford now and even if I could afford them later, I still wouldn't be interested in spending my money on 'em. I don't buy or read magazines about cars.... The latest issue of CM had a little commentary at the end about itself and other cigar magazines, comparing them, etc. not cutting any others down but just describing some of the differences. For me and my :2 , CM it is.

I think Cigar magazine is a nice read, since the others tend to have too much non cigar content. Plus it is usually a freebie!!!

I have not read ECJ yet though.

Well my only choices are Cigar Mag and CA since I've never read the others. I'm going to have to go unwillingly with CA. Hey, atleast they Acknowledge that Cuban cigars exist and they aren't a puppet rag Catalog disguised as a Magazine like Cigar is. It's really ashame too because Cigar Mag does have some good articles in it.

Thurm15 said:
Well my only choices are Cigar Mag and CA since I've never read the others. I'm going to have to go unwillingly with CA. Hey, atleast they Acknowledge that Cuban cigars exist and they aren't a puppet rag Catalog disguised as a Magazine like Cigar is. It's really ashame too because Cigar Mag does have some good articles in it.

I think "puppet rag catalog" may be a bit strong. In their recent issue, they addressed why they don't really give much attention to cuban cigars. They acknowledge that their circulation is in the US only and, therefore, they want to focus on cigars that are generally available to US cigar smokers. I think that is reasonable. Personally, it gets a little irritating to me to read reviews in CA by their staff/paid reviewers of how wonderful these cuban smokes are which are rated far above everything that I find in my local shop - the more I think about it the more I think CA's reviews are just :BS .

By the way, Thurm15, didn't you just rip CA in another thread?

MikeP said:
I think "puppet rag catalog" may be a bit strong. In their recent issue, they addressed why they don't really give much attention to cuban cigars. They acknowledge that their circulation is in the US only and, therefore, they want to focus on cigars that are generally available to US cigar smokers. I think that is reasonable. Personally, it gets a little irritating to me to read reviews in CA by their staff/paid reviewers of how wonderful these cuban smokes are which are rated far above everything that I find in my local shop - the more I think about it the more I think CA's reviews are just :BS .

By the way, Thurm15, didn't you just rip CA in another thread?

You weren't around for the great cigar rag fiasco. Lew and JR cigars is no good in my book, and the rag is total crap. The reviews are a total joke, just product JR's pushes. At least the others have a varied lot.

ECCJ is by far the best of them. Try reading it drunk once :r

Kayak_Rat said:
Where is the "I Cant Read Option"? Its descrimination I tell you. Where are the mods when we need them?

Can someone please call and read this to me?

PaulMac said:
As long as the brand is sold by JR's
That has been my issue with it. Too bad because the content otherwise it pretty decent. Steve Saka has written some nice articles for it.

Personally I like CA because I'm a sucker for pretty pictures and shinny toys. :)

MikeP said:
I think "puppet rag catalog" may be a bit strong. You have your opinion and I have mine but I notice they rarely review Padron. Maybe if they sold em they would In their recent issue, they addressed why they don't really give much attention to cuban cigars. They acknowledge that their circulation is in the US only and, therefore, they want to focus on cigars that are generally available to US cigar smokers.Excuses, Excuses.:D I think that is reasonable. Personally, it gets a little irritating to me to read reviews in CA by their staff/paid reviewers of how wonderful these cuban smokes are which are rated far above everything that I find in my local shop - the more I think about it the more I think CA's reviews are just :BS .

By the way, Thurm15, didn't you just rip CA in another thread?Yep, it was about the reviews, BS like you said.

Cigar Magazine would be better if it wasn't published and controlled by Lew and Jr's.

I read whatever I can dig up online for free.

Take that from a guy who writes draft revisions on the back side of first-draft documents... Cheap??? Me????

Well, not having the background concerning the CM, as I have only read through a few issues, I will concede that it may very well be a "puppet rag" after all. I've still enjoyed the content of CM over CA. I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever even considered buying a smoke based on a review that I've read in any magazine, CM or CA.... When it comes to opinions on smokes, the first place I will generally look at are the reviews on this forum where I at least know that fellows lovers of cigars will give an honest opinion.

Back