What lacquer or poly to finish ashtrays

ky toker

Chestbeating Pack Leader
What is the best laquer or polyurethane to use to finish a wooden ashtray? I have no intentions to kiln dried this project. Really looking at what won't burn fromt he heat of the cigar.

Can I use the same poly I used to finish my hardwood floors?:r I still have 1/2 a bucket.

Was going to PM the apparent CS ashtray maker in the Outback, but thought others would know or would want to know.

I would probably buff it with carnauba wax, same as a pipe bowl. this finish is easily reapplied if burnt and stands up well to heat, i dont know of any heat resistant laquers that would be suitable.

just my :2

ky toker said:
What is the best laquer or polyurethane to use to finish a wooden ashtray? I have no intentions to kiln dried this project. Really looking at what won't burn fromt he heat of the cigar.

Can I use the same poly I used to finish my hardwood floors?:r I still have 1/2 a bucket.

Was going to PM the apparent CS ashtray maker in the Outback, but thought others would know or would want to know.

Ive found numerous answers to your question in the following link-ranging from using hardwoods, ash wood, glass/ceramic/metal inserts etc. they think that no finish will be able to withstand the heat but have a look anyway mate. hope it helps!

http://www.groupsrv.com/hobby/about211482.html

Looks like the UK is on top of things. :w Thanks guys.

I really don't care if there is a burn mark on it, really more worried about toxic chemical transfering from burn to cigar. Though, I guess if it is made and used correctly that might not be a problem.

The wax sounds like a good idea.

ky toker said:
Looks like the UK is on top of things. :w Thanks guys.

I really don't care if there is a burn mark on it, really more worried about toxic chemical transfering from burn to cigar. Though, I guess if it is made and used correctly that might not be a problem.

The wax sounds like a good idea.

Never ever gave any thought to finishing an ashtray - but - guessing that you have used a hardwood - my thoughts would be to use a tung oil on it. Several coats sanded - and then a really good buffing sand down to 600 grit should put a polish on it.

Ron

i make ashtrays outa logs on occasion.....started out with a wood bottom w/ poly on the bottom and the rest of it. now i make them with a piece of stainless steel on the bottom. but the first that i made w/ a wood bottom, the lacquer doesnt melt because the cigar doesnt really touch it...thats what the holders are for. then, I nubbed out a cigar on the bottom of it and it just turned a little spot to a brownish color instead of a clear color. hope this helps. Pics-> http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=547895223&security=AEQPlV
the bigger, darker one is my 2nd....it doenst in that pic but now has the stainless bottom. the littler one is done in that pic.
Adam

Adam said:
i make ashtrays outa logs on occasion
Hey, that's actually about what I was looking to do. Those are some nice looking ashtrays you made.

I was thinking about using cut logs myself and after seeing how yours turned out I think I'll have to try a couple. This is really for my personal use and to work with wood. Not looking to try anything which looks of a professional level.

Back