What time of day????

sgoselin

Bull Goose Gorilla
In a recent post under Habanos Reviews I mentioned smoking a very strong cigar at 8:00 AM which prompted a few responses asking if that is what I smoke at 8:00 AM then what do I smoke at 8:00 PM. So my question to the board is when do you smoke and what? How many folks smoke in the AM or afternnon or evening etc? Personally I love an early morning cigar when my palate is fresh. Normally I do not smoke very strong cigars in the AM, but on occasion I do. I do most of my smoking in the car, especially in the winter. Depending on the length of my drive I might smoke anything from a Tres Petit to a DC in the AM. Frankly, if one has the time I think any of the DC's are great AM smokes (I am talking about Havanas). I do find most of the Opus X a bit challenging in the early AM. Given the opportunity I like an early AM cigar and one in the evening. Other opinions???

I tend to smoke the milder cigars first, if I smoke a strong one first thing it seems to spoil the others afterwards if they are not as strong as the first.

As for when, as often as possible!

Always one on the ride home from work (45 minutes).
Always one before bed.
On days off 5 or 6 or as many as I can get in.

hello,
i will generally not smoke the real strong stuff in a.m. either!
and my morning smokes generally tend to be a shorter cigar
tres,pc,...
k

On days when I work, I try to get in a PC or a Partagas Short before supper, then maybe a Boli Corona or Corona Grande after supper. Start slow and build to the knockout punch. }>

I smoke whatever whenever. A camacho at 10 am or a ryj pc at 1:30 am when i get off work. Whatever suits me at the time.

Being one who asked the question, maybe I should have re-worded it. It was more of a statement than anything. What I wanted to really know is. If you can smoke a nice 1970's vintage Havana in the AM then what other nice vintage Havanas are you smoking the rest of the time?

I don't get the chance to smoke great cigars like the ones you have reviewed, not that i'm asking for a hand out. It just satisfies me to know someone is smoking them.

As for your return question. I smoke Mostly Havanas (5-8 per day), but I like to try and squeeze in a Padron or Fuente now and then. It does not matter if it's a Boli in the morning or a V.R. at night, I like them all anytime.:9 :p :9

We all have weaknesses, so why not light up a good Havana and be content with knowing you have the greatest weakness of all.

Jack

I always smoke in the eve or late afternoon. Smoking a good cigar is my way to unwind at the end of a hard day, or just to relax on a weekend. I tend to go for a habanos PC or if I feel I really need to relax I'll wip out something larger.

When I am working it is in the morning when I get off of work. I'll smoke anything at any time since I smoke a few less on these days. On weekends, I'll smoke Am, afternoon, & PM. In this case I'll try to move from mild towards stronger smokes in the PM.

TAK :+

As a sort of follow up to the original question, what is the average age of people on this board? The reason I ask is that I am 33 and have three young kids. Whilst I love my cigars, I would find it difficult to smoke during the day as I would then have cigar breath all day (cured I appreciate by having another cigar!) which is not terribly nice for wife or children.

I also find it very difficult to smoke unless I have eaten food and am drinking something.

But then, maybe most of you on this site are a little older - children left home?

Rodster

To answer Steve's question first,

I usually smoke in the afternoon/evening. Call me a pansy, but I just cannot stomach the thought of hopping out of bed and lighting one up. Not that it's bad, it just doesn't work for me. If I know I am going to be having dinner, I'll make a point of having one after dinner. If dinner plans are unknown, then I'll just light up and play it by ear. Its been my experience that having a cigar before a good dinner will affect your palate in terms of enjoying the full flavor of the dinner. A doctor once told me that it takes the palate an average of an hour and a half to reset itself after eating to a neutral state that is ready to begin discerning flavors again, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer, depending on what you ate. On the weekends, generally whenever, never before 12pm.

Rodster,
I am 21 and I can feel your situation. I suggest if you have to stay "fresh" all day, then you probably wouldn't want to smoke during the day. If you must smoke, I recommend getting those new Listerine strips that they sell at Wal Mart or most supermarkets. They do work and they are better than nothing.

-Justin

I smoke what I want, when I want. To answer your question, probably even for me - half in the morning, half in the evening.

Depends on what day it is, where I am and my mood. Each day, I take a variety of smokes (strengths and sizes) with me in my Road Warrior so I have several choices based on what I have a taste for.

Normally, I don't smoke in the mornings on weekdays. I like to have a short smoke after lunch, something like a Partagas Short, SC El Principe, RASCC, Cuaba Generoso, etc. (for non-isom I might choose a Padron Delicias, Fuente Chateau or Punch Rare Corojo.)

After work at the pub is when I pull out the powerhouses. Sometimes I go for only one larger size, say a BCG, BBF, Monte 2 or the like. At other times, I start out smaller with something like a Punch RS#12 or Boli PC and then have another smaller size like an SLR Corona, Boli CE, CoRo.

After dinner, I'll have a smaller smoke (PC or TPC) out on the deck or in the garage. If it's particularly nice weather, I might go up a size and have robusto, usually a PD#4, Boli RC, Epi, etc.

Weekends is when I break out the monsters. Depending on the season (outside or inside; watching football or baseball or soccer) I'll grab something like a RAG, Lusi, VR DA, HDM DC, Punch DC; maybe even a Fuente Canones.

The only morning smoking I usually do is on Sundays, on the deck or gazebo with a bloody mary while reading the paper. And, of course, morning smokes are a "must" if I'm herfin' with the "crazy guys" from Springfield, SoCal or Baaaastun to name just a few. ;-)

Flip Flop that is SERIOUS cigar smoking - I am on my knees - I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!

Now we begin to realise why this board is the best in the business - when you have people smoking that number of cigars every day you just know you are dealing with experienced people who know what they are talking about!

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-02 AT 08:29 AM (CDT)]Once, a friend of mine in England sent me a couple aged RA 898's to try. I fired one up with my first cup of coffee at about 7:45am. For some odd reason, this cigar was really potent & actually put me back to bed for a while LOL. Thanks ESP!
The first time something like this happened though was when I woke up (8am) and wanted a small cigar & something fairly mild. This decision left out any Cuban cigars, so I opted for a Dominican. I saw an Opus X Perfection #4 & decided this would be fine in the early morning hours. This was definetly a mistake. After the sweats stopped, I wobbeled back to bed for 2 more hours.

I tend to only smoke in late afternoon and evening. I usually smoke after dinner. I give my dinner a little time to settle and then get myself something to drink and fire one up. Just sit back and enjoy the fat and happy feeling.:9

I'm 46 with two grown children, a boy 30 and a girl 23. Then I married a younger woman......

Now I have a toddler who'll be 3 next month.

I'm fortunate in that I only look about 25 (Edisonbird will certainly vouch fo me on that one) and I owe it all to good cigars and my clean Christian lifestyle! }> }> }> }> }>

I am 52, have been married for 32 years with grown children of 28 and 27m so I can smoke any damn time I want. As long as its ok with my wife that is. And yes I can testify that Radar is very young and attractive looking, all the guys at work think so.LMAOFOTFF.

8am is the middle of the night for me... i tend to stay up late- 2am or so, and get up late. consequently, an early smoke for me would be in the afternoon- but i rarely smoke in the afternoon unless it's the weekend or i'm on vacation. if i do smoke in the afternoon it's always a mild smoke like a regio or epi1- strong cigars taste like crap to me early on. i typically smoke in he evening or at night, while i'm watching seinfeld (7:30pm and 11pm here) and then i smoke whatever i feel like smoking... big or small, mild, medium or strong- just depends on my mood. i smoke about 3-6 cigars per week and sometimes i'll go a couple of weeks without smoking anything. to answer the age question posed above, as my daughter says, i'm 51 going on 3, which is probably correct.

Back