Whatever happened to Steve Saka?

MoTheMan

MoTheMentor
Whatever happened to Steve Saka?

Does anyone remember him? He was chief editor and architect of the CigarNexus website and a rich source of information on cigars. Well, last we heard from him was at the end of 2000 when he ws accepting a position with JR Tobacco. Haven't heard much from or about him since. Does anyone have a lowdown?

MoTheMan

I don't know the guy since I've only been online maybe three years but I've seen him post here and there once in a while. I would think he was on the JRBB until they shut it down but I dunno...

His reputation still precedes him : )

He's still around. Among his duties at JR's he runs the website and ran the JRBB (till they shut it down). He's still out on the net in stealth mode. He surfaces at CWBB once in a while.

I ran into him at the RTDA, he was speaking to the Perdomo guys when I saw him. Rob and I talked to him for a little while. He seemed either very preoccupied...or full of himself!

He's running the website on Jr's he posts on a few boards still.

Iv'e herfed with him he's a pretty good guy.

Hb

Steve works for JR but no longer has any involvement with the website. He is a great guy with as much cigar knowledge than anyone I know and is the best guy to herf with you could want. He IS preoccupied at RTDA because he has to work the entire time he is there and does not have the ability to socialize although he would like to. Lew has him working and travelling all the time and he has little time to even see his family.

That makes sense, he seemed pretty frazzled...like he was going in a thousand directions. Those shows would be a complete pain to work.

Hbooker said:
He's running the website on Jr's he posts on a few boards still.

Iv'e herfed with him he's a pretty good guy.

Hb

for the MOST part, he is OK, but NEVER quote him ;) he will then tell you to get the facts right. He did give some sound advice though, NEVER build a walk in humidor that you can take more than two steps into.........you will fill it.........

OPT

some sound advice though, NEVER build a walk in humidor that you can take more than two steps into.........you will fill it.........

Sound advice.

And BTW, thank to all you great herfs for the feedback.

MoTheMan

yeah cigar nexus was full of good info. I know alot of us swear by that place for cuban codes. i always told the newer cuban smokers to look there for info. haven't been there in a year or so, does he still do anything with it?

Cigar Nexus has not been updated for at least two years but is still the best reference site on the net for cigar recent history. John Chunko, Jon Drue and Steve Saka ran this labor of love for several years and are largely responsible for the herfs that continue today and the comraderie that we enjoy.

Back