What's in Philly?

ShaulWolf

Gorilla
I'll be taking my dad to physical therapy tomorrow in Philadelphia and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good tobacconist. Driving to the hospital in the morning and dropping him off for the day. I'll be able to have a few hours to walk around and do whatever so I figure I'd stop by a good smoke shop until it's time to see him again at 3:00.

Levin Albert I Cigars

[SIZE=-1] - www.holts.com - (215) 732-8500 - 2 reviews
[/SIZE] Mahogany On Walnut

[SIZE=-1] - phillycigarbar.com - (215) 732-3982 - 5 reviews
[/SIZE] Black Cat Cigar Co

[SIZE=-1] - www.blackcatcigars.com - (215) 563-9850 - 2 reviews
[/SIZE] Phil Herman's Cigar Store

[SIZE=-1] - maps.google.com - (215) 567-0144 - more
[/SIZE] Avril 50

[SIZE=-1] - maps.google.com - (215) 222-6108 - 2 reviews
[/SIZE] Benny's

[SIZE=-1] - maps.google.com - (215) 561-4322 - more
[/SIZE] Harry's Smoke Shop

[SIZE=-1] - maps.google.com - (215) 925-4770 - 1 review
[/SIZE] SJ Cigar Co

[SIZE=-1] - www.sjcigars.com - (610) 668-2993 - more
[/SIZE] SJ Cigar Co

[SIZE=-1] - www.sjcigars.com - (215) 440-0776 - more
[/SIZE] Lou's Wholesale

[SIZE=-1] - maps.google.com - (215) 467-3522 - more[/SIZE]

Philly's Smoke Shop

Not sure where exactly, PM hermit11 (Chris) He's a memeber here. :tu

Chris
Philly Smoke Shop
215 335 9878

Philly's Smoke Shop

Chris
Philly Smoke Shop
215 335 9878
I just got a couple boxes of Padron's from Chris a couple weeks ago.
Kickass deal and he even followed up to make sure everything went okay.
Good dude. :tu

I'll be taking my dad to physical therapy tomorrow in Philadelphia and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good tobacconist. Driving to the hospital in the morning and dropping him off for the day. I'll be able to have a few hours to walk around and do whatever so I figure I'd stop by a good smoke shop until it's time to see him again at 3:00.

Which hospital?

Holts and Mahogany are both in Walnut. In fact, they are on top of each other. Black Cat two streets down from them. Artifax and Philly's Smoke Shop is way out in North Philly.

You're best bet would be stay in Walnut street. Lots of other things to do besides cigars (just in case you get bored).

If you are going to be at one of the hospitals in center city Holts is going to be your best option. Depending on which hospital you may want to just park there and hoof it or catch the bus over to Holts. The only problem may be that Mahogany doesn't open until noon.

So since you have a car there are several excellent shops in the surrounding neighborhoods, besides what has been mentioned. You can kill some time waiting for Holt's to open up by checking out:

Lightin' It Up - 1000 S Delaware Ave Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Run by a very friendly gentleman named Dave, small but quiet lounge area. In a strip mall with a Pep-Boys along with a bagel shop and a pretty good Deli. This is also close to the South Philly shopping centers, with all the big-box stores and lots of dining options. Near a couple of...ahem...uh...gentleman's clubs...ahem...if thats...uh...your thing. (I can't promise they will have the A squad out @ noon on a friday though).

SJ Tobacco - 293 Montgomery Ave Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
- Good prices, almost no lounge though. The only reason I bring it up is b/c there is also one on 524 South 3rd Street Philadelphia, PA 19147, that I have never been in. That one is also pretty close to Lightin' It Up, so you could hit both.

Main Line Cigars - 950 Montgomery Ave. Narberth, PA 19072
- Great selection, HUGE lounge w/ flat screen TV's, etc. Great guys. If you go out this far, hit the SJ in the Bala Cynwyd, this is right down the street it is worth a stop.

Pm me and I'll give you my info, I have a wicked sore throat so I won't be able to herf, but I can get you directions, advice on dining and parking or anything else you need while visiting our fair city. I might also be able to tell you where NOT to go. :tu

Last edited:
I'll have to double check with my mom which hospital my dad's going to go to since I've forgotten and the paper I wrote it down on is missing. >.<

Not sure if I'm going to keep driving around. If there's decent public transportation I'll take that and walk (need the exercise anyway). Though, if there isn't much in the way of subways and buses driving it is.

If it is a hospital in center city there are buses.

The subways might not help you too much trying to get from 4th or 5th to 16th, I don't know I only ever take the subway to the sports complex.

www.septa.com

Click on "plan my trip".

Try to get tokens for the bus, they cost $1.45. Otherwise it is $2.00 if you don't use a token. Or get a "Day Pass", that will be good for 8 trips on Bus, Subway or Trolley.

Or you can walk, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow so bring an umbrella.

A cab ride is also an option, shouldn't be more than $10 or $12 to get from anywhere in the actual city over to Holts.

Last edited:
I was just in Philly, and I suggest going to Holts, and grabbing luch or dinner @ Mahogany.

Black Cat is about a block away but not worth going to (imho). BC seems like more of a mailorder business as the shop is small, cramped and with stuff spilling all over, kinda like an old used book store.

Holts has a killer selection, and a decent smoking room in the back.

Mahogany is a decent restaurant, where you can eat, smoke, and drink like a gentleman, and not have to go outside to smoke like some kind of an animal.

Also, check the Frida Kahlo Exhibit @ the Philly Museam, very worth it.

Enjoy.

Philly Smoke Shop is in the northeast at Bustleton Avenue and Cottman Avenue. Its right next door to the Turf Club. I would suggest swinging by if you're up around that area, Chris has a great humidor, and I think there's a small smoking area as well. If you are down town, Holts is a must. You can pretty much get anywhere in the city on a few busses, you just gotta know what ones to take.

I'd recommend Holt's and then up to Mahogany first . Another spot to hit is Liberty Smokes on Front street , plenty of parking and I'm pretty sure there is a lounge now , it's right between an Adult video store and a GO-GO Bar named Cheerleaders , with a Burger King across the lot . If your available on the 5th of April , there is a Herf at Mahogany on Walnut ST. Linky - http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115245&page=7 . Be nice to see some Botl and Sotl there .

I'm with you on this one, I think he allways comes up with great prices for CS members
I got a box of padron 64's from him a while back.

Philly's Smoke Shop

Chris
Philly Smoke Shop
215 335 9878

What's in Philly?
Most people bust them open and put some kind of special green tobacco in them. That special green tobacco is usually inserted into the Philly and rerolled for an unusually different smoking experience.:chk

Well, unfortunately I wasn't able to get to Philly Smoke Shop because it was too far away and I didn't have time to head out that direction. =( My dad was going to Magee Rehabilitation Center for his physical therapy which was right off of Delaware Ave. I was able to stop by Holt's and Lightin' It Up, though.

Holt's was a friggin' awesome time! Stopped in Thursday morning after the hospital shuttle dropped me off nearby. Was a three or four block walk so wasn't too bad at all. The front is the toy store with pipes, flasks, and pens. Met a guy in the front, Bob, if memory serves right, who's a retired Navy pilot. Friendliest guy in the world! Saw the USMC patch on my backpack my uncle gave me and started chatting it up with me. Showed me his jacket with his patches and started chatting it up for a while. Great guy and was really helpful with everything. Didn't push anything on me, just let me look and see what I liked. When he found out I had a limited amount to spend on pipes he switched over to what I could afford and let me browse to see what I liked. Key thing here, what I liked. No pushing, sales pitch, or anything. Almost unheard of in retail lately. Picked out a nice little pipe and some tobacco that he thought I'd like. Was really happy about that.

Now if the front is the toy department then the back is the candy department. There was a really nice selection of cigars and the staff was just as friendly. No rush, no suspicious looks to the young guy with a backpack wearing a trench coat (it was cool raining, and I just like the coat =P). They let me take my time, offered advice and information when I asked them, and asked if I found everything to my liking. I asked if I could smoke in the little lounge area since the door was closed and I wasn't sure if it was open. They said it was perfectly fine and I went in, set my bag down, hung my coat, and started enjoying the Padron I picked out (which was at a pretty good price). As I was sitting down smoking one of the staff started chatting with me while putting the new humidors in the display cases. Really friendly staff who don't try to BS you or sell you anything. Later on some of the regulars started filtering in. First was an elderly gentleman, but for the life of me I can't remember his name (you'll notice a trend here: I suck with names). Retired Navy going back to WWII. Great guy too, with plenty of funny jokes and stories. Soon it was over half a dozen guys, all regulars, and part of what they nicknamed the "Renaissance Club". Never got the story to the name, just that it's what they call their group of regulars for that day. What I thought was going to be a quick smoke turned into a mini herf. Doc and Jon kept conversation going along with a couple others, but I didn't catch their names. Sports, jokes, movies, jokes about politics, and just general stuff. Another retired Navy guy had stayed in Charleston for a couple years so we chatted about his stay and some sights to see when I got back. Doc showed me some of his photos while he was in Annapolis. And then one of the guys had his birthday and was surprised with a small cake. And to make the place shine through even more was the staff. One of the ladies who worked there was bringing out coffee for whoever asked for it, sandwiches, and pretzels. She was a sweetheart, and was happy to hear about me pursuing a commission in the Marines since she had family in the Marines. Wishing I had more time with the guys, but I had to get back to my dad. Got some Vietnamese food with him (tons of good Vietnamese restaurants nearby), and had to figure a way back to Jersey after a hostage situation on the W. Whitman Bridge (stuck in traffic with no clue about it for two hours >.<).

Today was relatively dull, but relaxing. Picked up a bagel from a bagel shop nearby first. Really friendly guys in the store who chatted with me while I was eating. Didn't matter if you were a regular or not, they chatted, got to know you a little, joked around, and made sure you got what you wanted. Stopped by Lightin' It Up afterwards since I only had a couple hours and grabbed a couple Oliva G's. Nice small shop with a big comfortable couch. Smoked while watching John Wayne on the TV he had set up. It was a little more expensive there (only $1 more on most stuff, no biggie) but he was really nice about everything. $1.50 for a soda, and while I was digging for change he said not to worry about it. I told him I was only in town for the day and he said he'd catch me another time and smiled. I thought that was pretty cool. Finished my cigar, said bye to each other, and picked my dad up for his next doctor's appointment. And that's my couple days in Philly.

Hopefully I get some time over the summer so I can make it a point to go to Philly Smoke Shop and walk around the city some too. All in all it was a pretty good time.

Glad to hear you had a good visit . There really isn't any shop around quite like Holt's , it's huge . Lightin' Up is a nice little shop also , it's where I bought my Savoy humidor on sale .

Gotta say, Holt's really impressed the hell out of me. I don't expect that from every store, but they did a bang up job with the service and everything. I'm curious about how they are when a group of guys who aren't regulars show up and sit down since it seemed like the special service they gave was for the regulars. In any case even without being served coffee, pretzels, and sandwiches the customer service alone is well worth a visit. Feeling kinda guilty I wasn't able to, but couldn't be helped this trip. Next time I'm in town I WILL go to Philly Smoke Shop and buy a few sticks there.

Back