Whats on my cigar?

Commander Quan

The Cheese stands alone
I pulled this cigar out of the humi the the other night and after removing the the cedar it was wrapped in I noticed these splotches in the wrapper they look like something had been dripped on it. Is it the glue used in wrapping the cigar? It actually kind of surprises me this made it past quality control being it was so obvious. And except for the fact that it had a crazy uneven burn it smoked fine.

It could very well be sap from the cedar wrap. I have seen this on a Pryme that had cedar that was not suffieicntly aged. Tasted ok but did have a rough burn and some really intense cedar taste. Many times the glue that they use on the cigars will be a kind of pasty white or greyish white. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Quan I can't tell you what that is but in my experience excess glue is kinda shiny and slightly opaque looking. I guess as long as it smoked fine then it is ok but it surprises me seeing this kind of stuff coming from Fuente.

It could very well be sap from the cedar wrap. I have seen this on a Pryme that had cedar that was not suffieicntly aged. Tasted ok but did have a rough burn and some really intense cedar taste. Many times the glue that they use on the cigars will be a kind of pasty white or greyish white. Hope this helps.

:tpd: Looks like sap to me, especially with it having a cedar case.

grape jelly, they must have been eating a jelly biscuit when they rolled that one.

j/k it looks like sap to me.

I'm surprised that a paper thin sheet of cedar could have that much sap on in/on it, but that makes sense why it wasn't kicked out during inspection.

Many of the BOTL's here actually remove the cedar prior to storing the cigars so as to prevent sap from leaching into the wrapper (or mold growing under the cedar). Either way, it wont hurt, but the oils from the cedar will give the stogie an overly "woodsy" taste, especially when the sappy areas burn.

are you sure you didn't drool on it?

In all seriousness, I think you got your question answered. Funny that you took the pic, smoked it and THEN asked the question. Weren't too worried about it now were you?

I've actually seen this happen before... I've smoked cigars w/it on there, and nothing happened.... Godspeed to you.

Back