When creating a new blend...

doc8466

ChestBeater
Is there a standard sized used by cigar blenders/makers when creating a new cigar?

Since different size/style cigars will have a slightly different ratio of the various tobaccos in the blend and subsequently can taste slightly differently from size to size, which one holds the original blend?

The smaller rg smokes. The blend is more concentrated so you can get a glimpse of what the blender had in mind. Fat jaw-breakers just use alot of useless filler, imo.

But if they really did just add useless filler, wouldn't the fatter rings be significantly different vs slightly? Do you know of any examples where a fattie is really that different that it's slim brethren? I'd be interested to compare for myself.

While I didn't expect there was a concrete answer ("Everyone always uses the corona size") I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks guys!:ss

But if they really did just add useless filler, wouldn't the fatter rings be significantly different vs slightly? Do you know of any examples where a fattie is really that different that it's slim brethren? I'd be interested to compare for myself.

While I didn't expect there was a concrete answer ("Everyone always uses the corona size") I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks guys!:ss

IMO, its useless filler with anything over 52rg. Others may not think so. I do find the smaller rg smokes very different compared to a large rg. Much more complex with more intense flavors. That's why I favor them. With that said, you may not.

If you can find them, Pepin made Padilla Miami and Signature '32 lanceros are miles ahead of any other sizes, imo. I also think the Oliva Serie V lancero is the best of the line. The new limited lanceros produced by Rocky Patel are all better than their cousins too.

Here are a couple of related threads:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82431
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82494&highlight=ring+guage

Last edited:
There is actually an good article about this in the new CA. I know, surprising. :D Most of the makers do indeed go with cigars under 50. There are more than I would have thought that said robusto, including Don Pepin. They also talk about their favorite size to smoke.

If you can find them, Pepin made Padilla Miami and Signature '32 lanceros are miles ahead of any other sizes, imo. I also think the Oliva Serie V lancero is the best of the line. The new limited lanceros produced by Rocky Patel are all better than their cousins too.

I agree with you NCRadioMan 100%. I have always found the lancero size to contain much more concentrated flavors than their larger ringed counterparts. Now if Padron would only produce an anniversary lancero I could go to my grave a happy man.

I agree with you NCRadioMan 100%. I have always found the lancero size to contain much more concentrated flavors than their larger ringed counterparts. Now if Padron would only produce an anniversary lancero I could go to my grave a happy man.

This does seem to be a frequently repeated oppinion that thinner cigars are more flavorful. However, is it due to the minor change in the mix because it is thinner or is it the 'real' blend as intended by the maker?

I guess we may never know for sure (I just got my CA and haven't read that article yet).

This does seem to be a frequently repeated oppinion that thinner cigars are more flavorful. However, is it due to the minor change in the mix because it is thinner or is it the 'real' blend as intended by the maker?

I guess we may never know for sure (I just got my CA and haven't read that article yet).
I wonder if the additional flavor is due to the higher wrapper/filler ratio. There has been a long standing debate about how much of the flavor of a cigar is due to the wrapper. As far as blend size, I would have guessed corona although my favored sizes are robusto and rothschild. Just my :2 and worth half of that.

That is a good question indeed. I understand how a smaller RG can differ flavor wise from a larger RG, but I guess the only real way to understand what the maker had in mind is if they came out and said "I blended X in X size in order to have the smoker taste X". I do not recall any manufacturer stating anything like this.

I have been smoking robustos and toros because I thought that those gave you the most flavor. Have I been doing it wrong?

I just read the article in CA. It's about "what do the cigar makers smoke when they smoke". A few of them go so far as to say that they always smoke X and that that is the size they use when sampling. Almost all (that mentioned this) said robusto or something around a 50 RG.

The way i read that article it seemed that most preferred coronas. Personally i prefer smaller RG smokes but i tend to buy and smoke more robustos.

I'll double check. I wasn't counting, but it seemed like I read robusto more often. I'll BRB... :ss

Ok, the score is:
corona - 1 (Michael Chiusano)
robusto - 1 (Christian Eiroa)
Innuendo for robusto (states something like 'opportunity for best blending') - 4 (Hendrik Kelner, Nestor Plasencia, Robert Levin, Alejandro Martinez-Cuenca)
5 1/2 x 49 - 1 (Angel Nunez)
6 x 52 - Rocky
toro - David Blanco
50 RG - Tim Ozgener
6 x 44 - Manuel Quesada

Unless I missed one (some) no one else mentioned blending in their answer.

Speaking only for ourselves, we do the initial blending in the 5.5x42 size, as the PUREST version of the blend. Once we have arrived at something we want to pursue, we do refinement in the Toro soze, knowing that most of what we're likely to sell will be in the 50-52 ring.
Extreme sizes (fat, thin, long, short, etc) may be great things to smoke, but are not, at least for us, likely to point in the overall direction we want.

Back