When he is laid to rest...

ritan

Gorilla
I'd like to ask that you spare a moment and a thought for my father-in-law. He passed away yesterday afternoon from respiratory failure.

He was a simple, unaffected man and we enjoyed each other's company, the family meals we shared, the drinks we sipped and the smokes we puffed. He appreciated life and enjoyed its quiet pleasures, and the company of friends.

He never for one moment treated me like I stole his daughter, my wife, away but instead welcomed and made me one of the family. He cared about me, loved me and my wife and I hold him in enormous regard and with deep love, despite being separated by distance and time zones.

His was an interesting life that spanned the Second World War; he fled the Cultural Revolution in China, saw Hong Kong's return to the PRC, and he moved to Toronto where he lived happily until his passing yesterday.

He would regale us with stories and insights and loved to reminisce. His mind was sharp till the end, and had recently returned from a month-long trip to Hong Kong and China. He raised his family with dignity and honor and was proud of every one of his children. He raised them well.

I will remember his tall, lanky frame, his shock of silver-white hair, his easy smile and throaty laugh. One moment in time stands out: a lunch on a freezing day in February this year. There were only four of us - my father-in-law, my wife and her sister, and I. My mother-in-law and others were busy. Throughout the lunch at the restaurant we were laughing, joking and eating well, it was relaxed and unhurried and we were happy to be in each other's company -- I now realize it was a truly happy, blissful moment for us. I will remember this.

And I will miss him.

Richard

Sounds like a good man. I'm truly sorry for you loss and will think of your story whilst providing prayer for those around me.

T-

Richard,

Thoughts and prayers for you, your wife, and your family are sent! Your father-in-law sounded like a wonderful and happy man! At least you have the February lunch to think back on and always remember the good times that were had!

Jonathan

God Bless. Cherish the memories you shared with us. I'm sure he is smiling upon the family always.

Ji

Richard, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Thank you for infusing my heart and soul with a story of a man and a family that knew joy in caring for one another. Your words are a Blessing that go beyond the moment and this place.

Very nice post, very nice reminisces of someone who lived through some amazing times! God's Peace to you and yours at this difficult time. But, dwell on his wonderful life, and not his passing! Many Blessings!

Prayers for you and your family, Richard, and thoughts of your Father in Law when I smoke my next cigar, in his honor.

Back