Where the flavor comes from?

levell3

ChestBeater
I am in a quandary, we all know that nowadays everybody wants their cigars to be dark and oily but my question is how much does the wrapper really impart flavor-wise? I am sure a nice looking wrapper gives a good psychological impression of how the cigar "should" smoke and taste but does it truly make that much of difference? I have had plenty of ugly looking smokes that tasted great. Is it the opposite of the old adage you do judge a book by its cover? Me personally I would think that the binder and filler would be the main contributing factors in flavor since it is the majority of the cigar.

I'm no expert, but here's my very recent experience with some Puros Indios #4 Especiales. I had tried a couple of these with the Maduro wrapper and enjoyed them very much. Recently bought a box of Colorado Claro because that's all JR had available at the time. Don't like them. Just got a box of Maduro PI #4s from OPT, and they're as good as I remembered from before. I don't know for certain if the only difference between the Colorado Claro and Maduro PI #4s is the wrapper. If it is the case, then I'd have to say it makes a huge difference. But I wouldn't say the wrapper has to be "pretty." I'm a big fan of ERdM Robusto Largas, and those wrappers frequently look veiny, but damn they're tasty smokes.

This is a statement I cut from a thread over at CF posted by Carlito himself. I found it interesting thats for sure. Take a look at the whole thread in the fine cigar room under "short story falls short."

"I was taught by my grandfather and father that the wrapper was by far the most important element of the cigar. The wrapper can contribute between 50 to 60% of the personality of the cigar. Some of the old " masters " even believed it contributed more. For the record : the reason Slimboli found the information above is that I was requested in 1993 by Mr. Marvin Shaken to make the first CA public presentation on wrappers in a seminar to a soldout audience in New york City. I will never forget that after my presentation stating the above, many, (who conveniently entered later in life), in the cigar industry contradicted my statements. Some were even indirectly associated with the (new) Cuban cigar industry which has nothing to do with the way of thinking of the old " masters ". Since at the time I was the only one who publicly defended my position, Cigar Aficionado obviously printed other cigar makers view. Fortunately for consumers, time has passed and it is not as easy for some to BS their way through cigar tobacco knowledge as it used to be. Ask CA this question today and they know the answer. Alot has been learned since 1993. And to say that Cameroun Wrapper is neutral is just plain ABSURD. This is why as time goes by I am more and more motivated to write a book on my family's life in cigars with ALL the unwritten truths. I never thought I would even consider this, but as I get older I feel I have a strong responsibility in guarding the precious history of my family and our hardworking respected peers who defended the integrity of our industry with pride and honor. It just tears me up when I see in print so much distortion of the actual facts. sincerely, your island friend carlito."

I read somewhere recently, "Want to know how much the wrapper adds to the cigar? Smoke an Opus with the wrapper removed." Or something like that. I have "experimented" with smoking cigars without the wrapper, and they do not taste anywhere near the same as with the wrapper.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-02 AT 10:07 AM (CDT)]I know that this is stupid ,but, isn't the flavor from the leaves & indirectly from the nutrients in the soil? Isn't that why we value ISOMs so highly? Because the soil is "unreachable" to the USA? (I hope that I am not de-mystifying ISOMs to much!)

Having stated the premise, then cameroon wrapper MUST inpart a flavor that MAY taste "neutral" (whatever that is!) when combined with other leaves.

More succinctly stated, wrapper is still tobbacco and must, therefore, have taste! :9

The majority from the wrapper - also the ligero is what makes up the majority of richness. In other words, they should complement each other. Without one, an experienced cigar smoker can tell the difference.

Depends on the filler, like JB said the ligero gives you your punch! If a cigar is 95% ligero than the wrapper is not even 5% of the flavor.
Also depends on the origination of the tobaccos, used in the combination. But, to me it doesn't matter, as long as it's good. :)

Yup. When we were in Honduras at Caribe Tobacco we were told the wrapper can be up to 90 percent of the taste. ( It all depends on the binder and filler....lots of ligero and that will influence the taste.)

To put this to the test. We took a cigar and wrapped a leaf from one of the curing barns around it. It dramatically changed the taste.

A good cigar is a smoke.

It's these discussions here that prove the most helpful to novices such as myself.
Thanks,
Gary

I'm finding that the more I know of cigars and their history, construction, etc., the more I am able to enjoy them.

Back