Which Cigars prefer Higher Humidity levels?

Coffee Grounds

Evolving Lead Gorilla

I keep my levels around 65% but I had an Oasis malfunction and shoot my levels way up. Around 70% I fired up a cigar witha Dom. wrapper and it actually smoked better at the higher level.

Any thoughts?

I keep my levels around 65% but I had an Oasis malfunction and shoot my levels way up. Around 70% I fired up a cigar witha Dom. wrapper and it actually smoked better at the higher level.

Any thoughts?

I think alot of people will say NC at 70% and CC at 65%...But when its said and done, DO IT THE WAY YOU LIKE TO, not because someone says "it's the was it should be" ENJOY!:tu

Any thoughts?

DR, HON and some NIC smoke better at higher levels. I find that the lower humidity levels eventually dry the cigar out. Altadis and Davidoff agree (both with large cigar operations in the DR). The "70/70" rule of thumb did not become such for no reason. Also, you will find that some cigars smoke very well at RH even higher. I have never had a bad Davidoff, even when stored at 72%.

I TOTALLY agree, smoke them the way you like them :tu

The "70/70" rule of thumb did not become such for no reason.

The 70/70 rule actually came from an insert years and years ago that said the Cuban climate is typically 70 degree and 70% humidity. People assumed that cigar storage should be the same.

Over the years (16+), I have found that 65% RH work better for me with less draw and burn problems with my cigars. (1 per day typically).

Hope this helps and happy smoking!

~Mark

I TOTALLY agree, smoke them the way you like them :tu

The 70/70 rule actually came from an insert years and years ago that said the Cuban climate is typically 70 degree and 70% humidity. People assumed that cigar storage should be the same.

Over the years (16+), I have found that 65% RH work better for me with less draw and burn problems with my cigars. (1 per day typically).

Hope this helps and happy smoking!

~Mark

I have noticed I have less relight problems when putting my RH at 65%, and I am a pretty quick smoker. Honestly I think the feel and asthetics of a cigar at 70% RH is nicer. But, as one gorilla said in a prior post, "if you care about how they smoke, put them at 65%".:ss

I like the way mine smoke at 65%. I started at 70, but since dropping to 65% I have hardly any burn or draw issues like I occasionally saw at 70 with my NC or my CC.

I appreciate all the imput but I was looking to see about specific wrappers and how higher humidity effects them.

I am confused because the Dom. wrappers are smoking better at a higher humidity. At 65% they were a bit streaky but at almost 70 they have a razor sharp burn.

I am trying to figure out if it would be worth setting up another humidor at 70% for all my Dom. wrappers?

Just to put something different out there I reference a great video about the Cuban tobacco and Cigar industry. If you have not viewed it and such things are of interest to you here is the link to the thread where i picked it up.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30278

In this video I believe I heard it stated that the range for the Cuban Cigars they are speakng of should be 70-75% RH.

Personally I keep my general population @ 70% RH.

—Richard

:2

My humi's flux between 60-65%......I try to keep them around 65%.

I used to keep everything at 70%.......since the drop, I have almost no issues with flavor or how they burn.

I love my cigars at 65%.

However, as the above posts state, personal preference is everything.

My humi's flux between 60-65%......I try to keep them around 65%.

I used to keep everything at 70%.......since the drop, I have almost no issues with flavor or how they burn.

I love my cigars at 65%.

However, as the above posts state, personal preference is everything.

I use two humidors. For me I find that they age a little slower and better at a higher RH (just my preference). When I think that they have had enough time, they go to the smaller humidor with a lower RH. And as you said, the lower RH seems to eliminate any flavor or burn issues.

A related story:

When I was even more of a newbe then I am now (not all that long ago), I keep the humidity way to high. I had what I thought were genuine Monte 4 ISOMS, but they tasted like a dog-rocket; strong, harsh, unsmokable.:c

Upon dissection they sure appeared genuine and the vendor had a good reputation. I lowered the humidity and gave them some much needed time and that made all the difference in the world. :)
Just my 2 cents.

Ken

The bandwagon here is 65% is best for most cigars as far as how they burn and draw. I'm usually a skeptic, but after several months at 65%, I definitely think that 65% is the way to go. My cigars have a tendancy to go out or have burn problems in the last 3rd because I slow my draws down. 65% really helps with that.

I keep mine at 65%. If I had more cigars or cared to put more time into it; I would do long term storage at 70%, but I like to smoke cigars at 65%.

Back