Who else has done this?

jaycarla

Resident Oliva Whore
Started smoking cigars, so I go into typical Newb mode. First it was write on the back of every ring (date, rating, where acquired, etc.). Then, and this may have been over the top, but an Access database to track rating, wrapper, filler, you know...that old chestnut.

Now, no ring writing, no "database" updates. A white label that goes on the cello with where/who it came from and date. Done.

So, is that the typical althought not exact thing that happens in the timeline of a BOTL?

Just curious. Also, I would like to take this moment to declare myself eligible for the "Not a Newb Anymore Draft". Whatever the level is above Newb, I want to be there and think I have rode the bench long enough!

Enjoy the weekend and thanks in advance for any replies to my endless dribble.

Friday night and I get a little JD in me and I start to pontificate.

Jay, do your thing, who cares if it is typical or not, sounds like you getting the most out of this hobby. Newbie is a state of mind my friend, not a status (have a beer or two in me as well :)).

what the hell, it's friday nite, pontificate on my man

:ss

BTW, I am enjoying the !@# out of the RP Edge Maduro Counterfiets. Nubbing one now and another is on deck.

It is my new, I am hammered smoke.

COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah... I know what you're saying. I had a cigar database I was updating constantly and keeping a cigar diary when I started. Don't do that stuff anymore - but I don't think its because I'm not as into it, but I have amassed enough information to focus on enjoying the sticks I LEARNED I like. :tu

Way I see it - now we are just making use of all the knowledge we have processed. :ss

I tried to keep track of things for a while, but I've got too many and there's no way I'll be able to keep everything straight.

I'm guilty as charged. It also gave me an oppertunity to refresh my access coding skills.
What happened to me was that over time the difference between data and information became a bit more clear. Having lots of data on cigars I don't really enjoy does not do much for me. As time goes on I get a better and better sense of what I like (and don't like- as least as important) and when I like which type of cigar.
It is all a matter of building a frame of reference. I think that is what differentiates a newbie from a not so newbie - the extend of their frame of reference. Once you have smoked a bunch you can start to say "hey, this cigar is like cigar X except for that dark pinch towards the 1/3 mark" or whatever.
Something that I've learned is that how a gar tastes (to me) is a matter of context - what I drink, eat, how I feel and even who I'm with. When I am with a couple buddies making stupid jokes the cigar I smoke becomes less relevant compared to when I sit by myself in a comfy chair with a good single malt.
Done pontificating - time to light up an RP conneticut - I might even write a review...
WeekendSmoker

Yeah... I know what you're saying. I had a cigar database I was updating constantly and keeping a cigar diary when I started. Don't do that stuff anymore - but I don't think its because I'm not as into it, but I have amassed enough information to focus on enjoying the sticks I LEARNED I like.

I did the same thing. Now when I try cigars that I've never tried before I just hang onto the bands I liked and throw the others away.

Mine is a band collection on a spiral bound book of 3x5 file cards. I take a few notes,(size, where from,price,etc) and comment on the experience. I'm looking forward to my comments down the road and see how they change as my tastes get better.

I started just having a text file that contained all the cigars I bought, and from where. I didn't really care to use something like Access, just wanted to see at a glance where I'd bought something and wheter or not I liked it.

Then I gave some cigars away to some friends/coworkers during the summer, and I didn't even know which ones they grabbed (I just put my "shareable" cigars in a small humi and brought it to work). So I completely lost track.

I'm thinking about ordering some cigar bands to at least track them that way. Right now, I have received cigars from three separate people, and I've kept them separate and am trying to remember who sent them. I know that eventually I'll get them mixed up with someone, so it makes sense to at least do those.

Also, I'll only tag a box w/ the purchase date/location, instead of adding a wrapper to each cigar inside it. Once the box is low enough that I want to fill it with other smokes, then I'll label the individual ones.

That is, if I ever get around to it. :)

I label mine with a label maker for the singles I have. The boxes are easy, I just write on the back of them

I tried doing the journal, band keeping, and all, but since I smoke rather spontaneously and never could keep track of the bands I gave up. Now I figure that if I like it, I'll remember it; and if it was a dog rocket, I'll remember it.

I started a hardcover notebook that I put all my bands in with notes etc. Now I still have the book, and I put the bands in it, so I must have about 40 bands that need to get taped in and notated!! Geez, I hope I remember all of them!! Funny thing is, I probably will!

Back