Who's interested in a group tasting?

Beagle Boy

Lowland Gorilla
Ok guys and gals, I am looking for those who might be interested in taking part in a group blind tasting.

The way this will work:
Looking for 12-20 interested people.
If there is enough interest, I will get in the balance of the supplies I need.
Then I will send out PMs to the interested people, letting them know the cost of this tasting (probably be in the $50-100 range, not looking to make money on this, just cover some of my costs)
Those people who still want in will send me their checks or MOs, and then I will send out the 10-15 cigars that we will be tasting. The cigars will be numbered so everyone smokes the same cigar each week
We will wait 1 week after everyone has received their sticks, then we will review 1 cigar each week (each in its own thread). I will reveal what the cigar was at the end of it’s week.
This is NOT about guessing where the cigar is made or who the manufacturer is – so please no guessing in the threads! :tu
This tasting will be all "domestic" smokes (keep all the reviews in the same forum), different sizes, shapes and price points

The format of the review will be this:
Scale will be 1-10 (best)

Looks: describe the appearance, what color is the wrapper, is it oily, what kind of cap does it have – is it pretty

Construction: any soft spots, was it an easy clip, is the draw too tight or loose? How long is the ash holding on for, any burn issues?

Flavors and strength: try to describe the tastes & smells – not just "it's good" or "it's a dog rocket". How strong is the cigar

Overall rating: 1 (never want to see it again) to 10 (want to smoke it for the rest of my life, its perfect) and why did you give it this rating

Would you want it in your Humi: I want a box, it’s a good yard cigar, my brother-in-law likes to mooch

You would be committing to post one review a week for this tasting, so a couple suggestions:
This should be the first cigar of the day
Try to smoke it in a quiet, somewhat consistent place – so you can take notes and not have a 20 mph wind messing up the burn
As this will go on through the summer, you might want to try to get 1 or 2 weeks ahead of the review, so if you are going to be on vacation someone else can post your review for you – or if you happen to get a summer cold, you have a bit of a cushion. (or do you like being mocked for always being late )
Do not read any of the reviews of the cigar before you smoke it!

I think I would like to keep this tasting limited to those that have been on CS for at least 6 months – nothing personal, just as these cigars might be all over the place in flavor and strength, it might fit those who are very new to cigars.

I think I have most of the bases covered in this, but if you have any questions, please let me know.
To keep the threads obvious – I think I need to give the tasting a name: Simple Simians Summer of Smokes (SSSS)?

So, if you are interested, indicate it in this thread. If you see 30 people interested already, still post – they might have lost interest or the price might not work for them.
A finial list of participants will be posted after $ is determined and people have accepted the invite

I'd like to get in on this please. Haven't met the 6 month minimum requirement but I'm close!

oh, damn, i just read the 6 month thingy. Well, im still interested, i think this could help broaden my tastes. If im cool to join up, let me know

Sounds like a great idea Mike...count me in!

If you are around Saturday Evening....stop by Saint Croix Cigar...I should be there...

For the guys who have posted, but aren't meeting the 6 month minimum - how about posting a link to a review that you have done on this site, that might help your cause :D

Oh, as I re-read my first post, now I see a typo:
"I think I would like to keep this tasting limited to those that have been on CS for at least 6 months – nothing personal, just as these cigars might be all over the place in flavor and strength, it might NOT fit those who are very new to cigars."

Holy Cow! And I thought it was tough getting into law school! :r

Here is a review I did
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146271

If you're expecting brilliant reviews I might not be your man. I don't have the most sophisticated palate.

For the guys who have posted, but aren't meeting the 6 month minimum - how about posting a link to a review that you have done on this site, that might help your cause :D

Oh, as I re-read my first post, now I see a typo:
"I think I would like to keep this tasting limited to those that have been on CS for at least 6 months – nothing personal, just as these cigars might be all over the place in flavor and strength, it might NOT fit those who are very new to cigars."

those who have expressed interest so far:

Spect
KnuckleDragger
TanZ2005
Ye Olde Phart
gnukfu
z3ro
ScottishSmoker
heatmiser

Back