Wood question

smokinpoke

Pro Donkey
What causes the insides of pipes not to burn?

The reason I ask.

Recently we had a huge icestorm that left alot of damaged trees. I am thinking of taking a huge tree trunk and carving an ashtray.

Any thoughts on how to keep it from going up in flames?

A very hard wood with tight grain (keeps moisture from going into the pores and expanding when heated) and seal it well and it should work well...shouldn't catch on fire with a lil ash in it....

Shawn

I have a feeling that this is going to be a whole helluva alot of work. But Oh' well it will give me something to do.

If its going to be from a tree trunk, you could line the bowl with hammered copper, and you could even use a plant stand as the base. That would just look sweet!! Good luck.

I second the hammered copper idea... it would look great when it patinas, if you plan to keep it outdoors

Please be sure to post up your photo journal of the whole process, from picking the wood to creation. I love threads like this. :tu

Poke, most of those felled trees are probably green. You need to cut a section of wood you want to use and let it season and dry a while (months). There will be shrinkage (he said shrinkage :)) if you use green wood and cracks may develop. My :2. Others may chime in on it.

Poke, most of those felled trees are probably green. You need to cut a section of wood you want to use and let it season and dry a while (months). There will be shrinkage (he said shrinkage :)) if you use green wood and cracks may develop. My :2. Others may chime in on it.

Thanks. Should I let the wood season and dry indoors or out?

Thanks. Should I let the wood season and dry indoors or out?

Outdoors under a shelter is more natural. Indoors should be fine, also, if you so desire. Most workable woods are air dried or kiln dried to prevent the above-mentioned problems. May want to search some internet sites for help. I'm not a professional woodworker at all, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

man...the puns in this thread are way to easy to make fun of......

it's cool what you want to do. I wonder if woodworking is still a class taught in highschool...like shop/auto/cooking etc etc.

Back