Would the Hydra be enough?

zmancbr

Fuente Whore
I just bought a new cabinet and with any luck Roadway hasn't lost it somewhere in transit so it should be here really soon.

I am trying to figure out what is the best humidification system. I have read lots of reviews that say the Hydra is the best but it is rated at only 8 cubic feet I believe while my cabinet is around 16 cubic feet. I was planning on getting a few pounds of beads and some fans to help circulate the air around.

Would the hydra be able to handle the extra size of the cabinet assuming of course I season it and put around 400-500 smokes in it after seasoning? Or should I just go with the CO II which is rated much higher.

The drawback of using the CO is of course its not as nice as the hydra, and it is quite large which takes away space for the all to important smokes...:D

I just thought I would throw this out there and see what other gorillas think based on their experience.

Thanks for any help!!:tu

The all important thing is how much water do you have to move? If the difference between the outside and inside rh is big, and you have a large amount of air space inside that cabinet when it is filled, then you need a more robust unit. I have a 24 cu. ft. cabinet, but I keep the room it is in in the low 60s rh and the cabinet itself is pretty full, thus there is not much air space inside. Since the cigars themselves are pretty wet when bought, I handle the whole thing at 69 to 70 %rh with a pound of beads. I even had a fan, but when it conked out I found so little difference that I never saw the need to replace it. In fact, I use 65% beads and my problem, if I have one, is that the cabinet runs too wet.

But, if you keep the thing in a dry room, or never really pack it too full, you might need more, but I have no experience with that. If you are up in the mountains with really dry winter air, you probably need all the help you can get to keep your stogies from drying out.

I have the Hydra in my cabinet, but to be honest with you the beads alone pretty much do the job. I have 2 pounds in there, and a couple of fans, I do have the Hydra fans running but haven't put any water in it in a while.

The Hydra will be fine, just make sure you have enough beads and spread them around. :2

Clicky for my setup. Post #29

The Hydra is a pretty good unit, you can also get 3 additional fans with the expansion ports to mount in different spots. With that size humi though you will definitely want the bead to help. With some beads in different spots (mostly on the opposite end of the humi you should be ok, just remember to check the RH in different spots and keep the beads wet.

Dave

I just bought a new cabinet and with any luck Roadway hasn't lost it somewhere in transit so it should be here really soon.

I am trying to figure out what is the best humidification system. I have read lots of reviews that say the Hydra is the best but it is rated at only 8 cubic feet I believe while my cabinet is around 16 cubic feet. I was planning on getting a few pounds of beads and some fans to help circulate the air around.

Would the hydra be able to handle the extra size of the cabinet assuming of course I season it and put around 400-500 smokes in it after seasoning? Or should I just go with the CO II which is rated much higher.

The drawback of using the CO is of course its not as nice as the hydra, and it is quite large which takes away space for the all to important smokes...:D

I just thought I would throw this out there and see what other gorillas think based on their experience.

Thanks for any help!!:tu

Check with Mark from Cigarmony. I believe HYDRA is coming out with a larger unit that will handle the 16 cuft. If you can wait, it may be worth it. With beads, the Smaller one should handle it though. Let us know what you decide. :tu

I like my hydra, it took a little while to get the rh setting to where I wanted it but I like much better then the oasis.

Check with Mark from Cigarmony. I believe HYDRA is coming out with a larger unit that will handle the 16 cuft. If you can wait, it may be worth it. With beads, the Smaller one should handle it though. Let us know what you decide. :tu

Mark and I just talked about this product and it might be some time between now and May.

I have the Hydra in my cabinet, but to be honest with you the beads alone pretty much do the job. I have 2 pounds in there, and a couple of fans, I do have the Hydra fans running but haven't put any water in it in a while.

The Hydra will be fine, just make sure you have enough beads and spread them around. :2

Sweet. That is pretty much what I needed to hear. I know the new larger hydra is coming out in a few months (spect is a real close neighbor of mine) but with my new humidor arriving any day now I don't have the patience to wait that long...:D

Sweet. That is pretty much what I needed to hear. I know the new larger hydra is coming out in a few months (spect is a real close neighbor of mine) but with my new humidor arriving any day now I don't have the patience to wait that long...:D

Pffft. It's comming roadway, you wont see the humidor until july.

You dont know How funny I find this......Being in the freight industry myself.

I get calls all the time about lost freight...and you would really be surprised at the stuff we can lose.....

...and consider yourself EXTREMELY LUCKY if you receive your package intact....as most packages are delivered unrecognizeable.

:ss

You dont know How funny I find this......Being in the freight industry myself.

I get calls all the time about lost freight...and you would really be surprised at the stuff we can lose.....

...and consider yourself EXTREMELY LUCKY if you receive your package intact....as most packages are delivered unrecognizeable.

:ss

Yeah I am have heard many a stories about freight transit...:r

Just over a month ago, Edward's in Fort Collins had one of there shipments of Montes, and a whole other ton of cigars get lost in Denver... It finally showed up a couple weeks later...:D

Back