Xikar models?

turbominnow

Young Chimp
I am trying to discern between the models of Xikar cutters. Is the only difference the exterior finish? In other words the cutting action and blades are the same quality throughout the models.

I didn't look that close at them, but the guy at my B&M told me that the cheaper models are assembled with a lower quality hardware. If memory serves me correctly, one is assembled with rivets, the other screws. This was while he was trying to explain to me why one was $20 more than the other one.

I left and bought a Palio, so it really didn't matter to me. He didn't sell Palio.

Mike :ss

I didn't look that close at them, but the guy at my B&M told me that the cheaper models are assembled with a lower quality hardware. If memory serves me correctly, one is assembled with rivets, the other screws. This was while he was trying to explain to me why one was $20 more than the other one.

I left and bought a Palio, so it really didn't matter to me. He didn't sell Palio.

Mike :ss
The ones that are $20 more have bodies that are made of titianium. That is why they are higher. The blades are the same.

the cheaper models handles are made of plastic and rivets. very flimsy after a bunch of uses and pocket wear. the higher models such as the Xi3's are made of strong titanium and assembled with hex head bolts. i believe the blades may be the same.
but, it is the same with pocket knifes, sure the $5 ones have the same blades on them, but they are light, flimsy and fall apart after stabbing a few fellows to death. although you spend a decent amount on a good one and it will last you for a very long time.
you get what you pay for.
:2

speaking of fine Xikar cutters, i am selling my brand new gunmetal Xi3 in the WTS threads for about $20 less than they are going for. check it out:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=178562

:tu

The blades are all the same - 440 stainless with an HRC rating of 57. The more expensive models are different casings. The cheaper models are lighter, as they're made of nylon fiberglass composite, while the more expensive models are made of a metal casing and are heavier.

I use both the Xikar XI2 and the Palio, like them both. Can't beat the lifetime warranty either.

Both the Xi and the Xi3 possess the same Stainless Steel blades, while the Xi2 has a Solingen (Germany) stainless blade. The ability of the cutter blades to hold a sharp edge is related to the hardness of the blade. Hardness, defined as resistance to penetration, is a measurable quantity. HRC refers to a particular hardness scale (Rockwell C scale), based on an instrument that presses a diamond stylus with a specific force into the material being tested. Most stainless knives are between 56 and 58 HRC.

The blade on cigar cutters is a bit softer than a knife blade since it will be cutting cigars not wood, rope, plastic, etc. However, this means the edge-holding characteristics are limited. Fortunately for the Xikar customer, Xikar offers a lifetime guarantee on the blade sharpness. If you ever want your blade sharpened, just return your cutter to Xikar and they will sharpen and return it to you.

Interestingly, the Xi and Xi3 used to have a HRC55, but in the past year that has been elevated to HRC57.

Doc

Back