You like music? Well, here's a band for ya...

lenguamor

Gorila Cabrón
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8S5SrhU528

:D No artificial, quick-curing for Robert Burns; every leaf is slow-cured in clean air.

There's that dreaded ellipsis again, Darrel! ;)

I smoked a Robert Burns Deluxe gifted/traded me (more gifted, really) by an exceptional BOTL, Mark (vstrommark). Don't know the vintage, he could weigh in on that if he would. But boy, what an experience.

img0462uh9.jpg

First off, I have a few Clear Havanas myself, and I am astounded by the pristine condition of this cigar. The cello is from the one I will smoke, the other cigar is a second of the same, which I'm truly glad and grateful to have.

Pre-light: no musty odor as with a lot of vintage cigars of this type; again, I am struck by how clean and beautiful the wrapper is.

Upon lighting, dense waves of smoke carry muted sweet tones. The initial flavors are a mix, and it's hard to distinguish any one from the lot; but dried fruit comes to mind.

This one is difficult to keep from getting overly hot. For one thing, it burns relentlessly on its own; another is that it is so delicious I have to fight to keep myself from puffing too often.

Flavors of light coffee and milk assert themselves toward the middle, but the dried fruit undertones persist in the background. Something like dried dates.

Now the dried-fruit flavors are at the forefront, side-by-side with the delicious coffee...sweeter than before, redolent now of raisins or currants. And now, about the same time - 2/3 of the way down - a creamy, rich texture comes through.

The fatalist in me shows in that I'm starting to be bummed that this well end soon!

I've said it before, I almost never "nub" a cigar, I just don't like the harshness that builds toward the end and the work it takes to try to keep the nub cool enough to actually enjoy - but to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara - "As God is my witness, I'll nub this one!"

Sadness; it's done.

A wonderful experience, most unexpected given that most cigars of this type and this old have endured journeys of varying degrees of care and storage, and often fare the worse for it.

I remember seeing these (or some identical to these) for sale and noting that it was not entirely clear if they were pre-embargo or not, and passing on them for that reason.

Fool. DAMN fool.

These are a delightful example of some that obviously, through luck or loving care or both, made it through to be champions of their kind.

I may not be able to keep my hands off the other one for long!

Nice review, Jose!

This one is difficult to keep from getting overly hot. For one thing, it burns relentlessly on its own; another is that it is so delicious I have to fight to keep myself from puffing too often.

This is something I've experienced in quite a few clear Havanas--a tendency to overheat, even when I sip them. The only one that didn't was a Rob't Burns Continental, which comes with a tip that sort of encourages sipping. Even then, it got a little sizzle towards the end. I wonder whether this is just a fact of the tobacco's age or quality...or whether in 30 years the CCs from the 80s and 90s will smoke similarly. :confused::)

Nice review, Jose!

This is something I've experienced in quite a few clear Havanas--a tendency to overheat, even when I sip them. The only one that didn't was a Rob't Burns Continental, which comes with a tip that sort of encourages sipping. Even then, it got a little sizzle towards the end. I wonder whether this is just a fact of the tobacco's age or quality...or whether in 30 years the CCs from the 80s and 90s will smoke similarly. :confused::)

Thanks!

I wonder if it has to do with short filler, and its similarity to cigarette filler; I noticed that even if I didn't puff for a couple minutes on this one, smoke never stopped coming from the cherry...like it was going to burn whether I smoked it or not.

Plus I'm not sure this was short filler, despite being MM.

Back