Your initial views of cigars and cigar smokers, prior to you trying them.

sames

ChestBeater
I am just curious about this for some reason. Prior to you becoming a cigar lover, what did you think of when you heard the word "cigar" or saw someone smoking cigars? Did it signify something to you about that person? Did you love the smell or hate the smell of their stogie?

In other words, what did you used to think of cigars and cigar smokers? ;)

I thought they were cool because my Dad would smoke every once in a while. I actually had the idea to get him a humidor when I was in HS, prior to me having tried one. He still has that POS humidor, thinking I need to help him upgrade.

Probably a combination of him and the boom in the 90's that got me smoking.

I've always enjoyed the aroma of cigars and pipes. When I was younger I tried pipe smoking but never got the hang of packing the pipe properly.

I've always loved the aroma of a cigar since I was little, my Dad still smokes them occasionally. :tu

Sophistication; something that symbolized knowledge and confidence. Great times.

Used to love the smell of cigars when I was a child. It's what got me into them.

Hated the smell wafting from this guys Cadillac in front of me one day leaving school. Now I'm that guy.

My Grandfather smoked cigars so I always associated them with him, good memories. Him and my uncle got me started smoking. Always thought they were something old rich guys smoked.

I've always hated the smell of cigarettes, but something appealed to me about cigar smoke when I was younger. I think it was just elegant and very classy to me. I always liked that sort of thing :p

my dad used to smoke them everyonce in a while so i just thought it was what adult men did. i knew no better. Then when i got older i tried my own. I was 16 when i had my first stogie.mmm.. so i guees i just thought it was what men did. I knew no better.. (ok i wasnt so dumb to go till 16 to decide others didnt smoke)

Didn't really care about who smoked them. I wasn't too fond of the smell (My dad used to light up Dutch Masters every now & then... gross!) unless it was a Swisher Sweet or Black & Mild. Wanted to try a "real" cigar and a friend finally hooked me up. It has been on since then.

Way back when I never liked smoking. But I always thought that the aroma from a cigar was so nice. When I first was introduced to cigars was from a fomer employer and they were truck stop cigars. So I never really got into them. But now that I have a B&M near my house I have found it to be very relaxing to sit down with a group of smokers and chat about whatever. And now that I was pushed down the slippery slope of CS I'm hooked for life.

I thought cigars smelled great. I did not really care who smoked them, but I figured since they smelled so good and so many people smoked them, they must be good. I bought my 1st cigar in Korea in 01. It was a Cohiba churchill (cc). :tu

Like a few others, I really didn't think too much of either those who smoked, or the cigars themselves, until a buddy of mine at work lit up a cheap backwoods and remarked at how calming and relaxing smoking one of those while riding horseback through the woods. I tried one, liked it enough to give it a shot with the real deal, an A. Fuente maduro rothchild I believe, and then from then on its been down the slope and now its one of my De-stressing rituals that I hold dear.

It was the aroma of a good cigar that drew me in. Then I discovered the process involved with the ritual.

It was the aroma of a good cigar that drew me in. Then I discovered the process involved with the ritual. Even the next day I find the 'aftersmoke' much more appealing than cigarettes.

i have like the smell of cigars but i never tried any tabacco product until jamesroberts hooked me up with a RP 1990. i tried it and thought WOW this is pretty good and its all down hill from there.

I have always enjoyed the smell of a cigar. Never really enjoyed the smell of pipes, but I think I've only been around pipes with goofy fruity type smells. Reminds me of a Backwoods.:pu

I have always hated the smell of cigarettes. My mom smoked and it made everything stink. I still dislike the residual smell of cigars on clothing and furniture.

I was jealous of the smokers. Ever since I was 8 or 9 I had always wanted to try one. They seem very classy (and only the classiest gents and ladies smoke them :D) so when I turned 18 I went out and bought one. I think it was the smell that attracted me the most, but the thought that I could be like them someday too. I love them :D

I've always enjoyed the aroma of cigars and pipes. ...

:tpd: Always thought a cigar smoker was cool... had an Uncle Giles that smoked cigars (not very good ones) but they always struck me as way superior to cigarettes. :2
The smell was better and something about them said "that's a man." Uncle Giles didn't hurt that image - he was 6'4" and about 270! :r

Back