Zino Platinum Scepter Grand Master

Bigga Petey

Lowland Gorilla
Since this cigar was passed out pro bono to many of the members here, it is only fair that it gets a review.

So, without further ado.....

The cigar is packaged in a real classy aluminum tube. Black and silver. The cigar is nestled in a cedar sleeve inside the tube. Nice package. My sample cigar had a nice tan appearance, even though the wrapper had a few small nicks in it. Several noticeable veins and a spongy feel to the cigar.

The cap snips off easily and the cigar produces volumes of good smoke almost instantly. The draw may be a little lighter than what I am accustomed to.

Initial taste is pleasing, nothing that makes you sit up and take notice, but nothing offensive either. The Zino has a nice even burn, never needed a touch up, and produced a mottled black and gray ash. Kind of reminded me of a German Short haired pointer.

I kept waiting for the flavor to kick up, but it never happened. Maybe I'm used to more full bodied cigars, but this one never came alive. Not a bad smoke, but not as great as the suggested retail price would have one believe. I usually nub a good cigar. I allowed this one to die out after about smoking 2/3 of it. The only flavor I could realy come up with is 'grassy'.

Would I buy these? At about $16 a pop? Nope.
But it sure wasn't bad for a freebie.
I feel the Toranos and Fuentes (and many others) far surpass the quality and taste for 1/4 of the price.

Last edited:
I just got my Grand Master in the mail yesterday. I WAS excited to light it up, but now maybe I'll hold off. It might be O.K. for one of those times that I'm in the mood for a milder smoke.
Thanks for the nice review!
Jeff

I'm going to save mine for when I need a milder smoke. At $16.00 a stick, I don't think I'll get another one unless it was free again.

Not that impressed. Smoked part of mine and the leaf started to unwrap. Trying to get the leaf to stick back together while smoking made it less enjoyable. Not that I was enjoying it terribly anyway.

I just got notice that mine has shipped and should be waiting for me when I return from the holidays. I look forward to firing it up since I've never tried one before.

Has anyone had a problem with this cigar showing up with mold on it? My "free" stick looked fine the day I recieved it, but on closer inspection there is a very small amount of mold on the foot. I have never had a cigar with mold before. Do I hurry and smoke it, or throw it away? As I stated earlier there is only a small amount of mold, about 2-3 spots the size of the end of a ball-point pen. Thanks.

Can you rub it off? If so, I would still smoke it. I've heard others who have smoked cigars before with just a slight spot or two on them and still have enjoyed their smoke. At the cost of (well, bascially free), I'd still smoke it and wouldn't worry about rushing it.

Mine had a few spots that rubbed off.. Since it is in it's own tube I am not too worried it will "infect" my other cigars. Now I will probibly wait a while to smoke this one.. Most the reviews I read say it is an okay cigar.. For $13 it should be more than an okay cigar.. This thing should rock and roll. You don't see Fuente giving out samples of there anejo's, or the hemingways.. thats because they are great cigars that the general cigar smoking public knows they are good..

Not sure what Davidoff is thinking here.. Lets give a way expensive moldy cigars that people who know cigars are going to think are average. Hmm maybe they will want to pay double for an average stchick if we give one away first?? Sorry that only works with crack!!!

Sorry it's the wine talking..

My girlfriend gave me Davidoff & Zino Mouton Cadet Cigars in tubes for Christmas. After reading about the mold in the Zinos I checked mine. Sure enough, there was mold on the Zino. It was not plume. It was only on one spot near the band.

That is not a good sign. I wonder if they are having issues at the factory with mold?

Back