A: Because it's annoying

D. Generate

El Dudarino
Q: Why should I not make thread titles obscure?

I freely admit that I'm just feeling a tad ornery because I'm home alone, drinking far too many beers, but dammit, I'm going to opine.

Thread etiquette:

1) For the love of L. Ron Hubbard, post to existing threads rather than starting your own.

2) Please, please, please resist the temptation to ever use an ellipsis in your thread title. If your title ends in three periods, you're doing it wrong. There is no exception to this rule.

3) We all browse thread thread titles. Ones that obliquely hint to what the post may be about, or worse, are designed to leave the reader wondering, are a pain in the ass. You aren't clever. No one likes that.

4) If you choose to ignore rule 1, please, for the sake of those here, at least have the decency to make your thread title clear. Titles like "I should have known", "What do you think?" etc, suck. If not for the annoyance of clicking on a thread that one has no interest in, the sheer lack of creativity and disclosure is appalling.

I realise that starting a thread to address this has a certain amount of hypocritic irony attached. I also admit that this might be a niggling complaint to others but my wife is out of town, I'm left with a case of beer and this is my social interaction.

Perhaps I'm just a mean internet drunk... Now, I'm off to tell those who play warcraft that they'll die virgins. :r

Q: Why should I not make thread titles obscure?

I freely admit that I'm just feeling a tad ornery because I'm home alone, drinking far too many beers, but dammit, I'm going to opine.

Thread etiquette:

1) For the love of L. Ron Hubbard, post to existing threads rather than starting your own.

2) Please, please, please resist the temptation to ever use an ellipsis in your thread title. If your title ends in three periods, you're doing it wrong. There is no exception to this rule.

3) We all browse thread thread titles. Ones that obliquely hint to what the post may be about, or worse, are designed to leave the reader wondering, are a pain in the ass. You aren't clever. No one likes that.

4) If you choose to ignore rule 1, please, for the sake of those here, at least have the decency to make your thread title clear. Titles like "I should have known", "What do you think?" etc, suck. If not for the annoyance of clicking on a thread that one has no interest in, the sheer lack of creativity and disclosure is appalling.

I realise that starting a thread to address this has a certain amount of hypocritic irony attached. I also admit that this might be a niggling complaint to others but my wife is out of town, I'm left with a case of beer and this is my social interaction.

Perhaps I'm just a mean internet drunk... Now, I'm off to tell those who play warcraft that they'll die virgins. :r
or exclamation points!!!!!

It reminds of me that Seinfeld episode........!!!!!!!!

Where Elaine put one here.....!!!!!!!

And here.......!!!!!!!!!

And here!!!!!!!!

:r:r okay, I'm done......wait, no I'm not.

Not every thread title needs to include WTF........!!!!!!!

:chk:chk:D

Doesn't this thread make you........

Wait what??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't wear Banana Republic jeans because they don't fit me too well. I like little kids because their sales pitches are awesome.

tickle tickle

MCS

Wait....WTF m8!!!!1111....

Quit junkin' up the place!!!

3z1cg1h.jpg

My favorite is when people go crazy with the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then released the shift before the #1 button and it ends up looking like this. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Thats HILLARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!1

LOL!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111

But you didn't leave it at the ellipsis. While I might have preferred something more demonstrative of the subject, even I admit that's a niggling complaint.

I just find titles designed to make the reader wonder what the thread is about to be incredibly annoying.

I don't use my ellipsis often enough - darn fitness machines that sit around doing nothing...............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:r

But you didn't leave it at the ellipsis. While I might have preferred something more demonstrative of the subject, even I admit that's a niggling complaint.

I just find titles designed to make the reader wonder what the thread is about to be incredibly annoying.

I'm just joshing you a little. :tu

In my case the ellipsis was not intended to make the reader wonder, but to complete the old saying "One man's trash...is another man's treasure".

However some people, myself included, like a bit of mystery.

Would "Music For A Found Vinotemp" have been a more apropos title?

At least I think I'm clever! :r :D

Edit: My mom thinks I'm clever too.

You break your own rules, 1, 3, & 4 with the title of this thread...

You set the example, maybe we'll follow...

jag

You break your own rules, 1, 3, & 4 with the title of this thread...

You set the example, maybe we'll follow...

jag

Jiminy Christmas, if we're waiting for me to set the example we're screwed.

This thread is slightly tongue-in-cheek and taking the mick. I'm just an ornery bastard that occasionally makes curmudgeonly posts. And I try to get both those words in as often as possible.

New guys are posting a lot, and I honestly think that's brilliant. Otherwise this site would quickly get stale. I don't want to discourage that, I simply want to say that there are old grumpy bastards that still come here and find misleading titles quite annoying. Or maybe just one old grumpy bastard, but still I made my point.

If we all think before clicking that 'new thread' button, things might look a little better and be a bit easier to work through.

Jiminy Christmas, if we're waiting for me to set the example we're screwed.

This thread is slightly tongue-in-cheek and taking the mick. I'm just an ornery bastard that occasionally makes curmudgeonly posts. And I try to get both those words in as often as possible.

New guys are posting a lot, and I honestly think that's brilliant. Otherwise this site would quickly get stale. I don't want to discourage that, I simply want to say that there are old grumpy bastards that still come here and find misleading titles quite annoying. Or maybe just one old grumpy bastard, but still I made my point.

If we all think before clicking that 'new thread' button, things might look a little better and be a bit easier to work through.

I figured if you can be a curmudgeon I can be a wisenheimer..:tu

jag

Back