Are my tatse buds just weird?

King1of3

Maturing Primate
Many people talk about the Oliva V and the LFD DL and mention the spice or the butt kicking tendencies. I've recently tried both. I was kind of hesitant not wanting to ruin a great cigar smoking experience with too much pepper or feeling a buzz/queezy. I've tried mild cigars. Quickly moved to medium which I have found tatsty, but wanted to try full bodied to see what it was like and broaden my horizons. However, I didn't get any pepper from either one. Neither one kicked my butt either. And I was not running on a full stomache. Am I missing something? I've also had the LFG L400. Didn't do much either. What's up with my palette? I enjoyed them. Just didn't get out of it what everyone seems to have described. I'm used to being labeled as weird. :confused:

I haven't tried those specific cigars but taste really is subjective. I almost never taste the things they list in reviews. I can tell a good cigar from a bad one, but describing it like poetry is not my strong point.

To me the V is a very nice medium smoke. I've not one that even hints at full. I love mediums, so to me it's about perfect. :tu

My experience with the Oliva V tends to be the same as yours, I don't find it overly strong at all. Tasty, yes. :tu

Only one cigar I have had thus far has made me light headed (Joyo D'Nicaragua), maybe I am wierd like you? :confused:

I don't think the V is that strong either. Just got done with a Taboo SFO, and everyone says that one is strong, but it didn't seem that strong to me. I really liked it though.

Here is the way the world is broken up:

25 percent have below average taste
50 percent have normal
25 percent have above average taste

I am a mix. I can taste a lot of things others can't but I am not above average on everything.

You do not have to have the elite taste buds to enjoy most things though, and in fact, the things that I can taste that others can't can be a curse some of the time.

Your what they like to say"goat pallet" is refining itself nicely.Soon you will be able to smoke Kingsford charcoal brickets.:r :r

Re: Are my taste buds just weird?

Every individual has a different number of taste buds on their tongue. That means you will taste things that I don't and I will taste things that you don't. That doesn't make you or I are right or wrong. It just means we are different. That is why there are so many different cigars. Find what you like and stick with it. There is no right or wrong in this hobby only what you like or what you don't. Relax and enjoy. Your opinion count as much as anyones.

Ive tried various smokes (still less than 30 tho!) majority of them taste very similar so i actually thought im not cut out for cigar smoking!! I got pi$$ed off not finding these flavours everyone else was talking about. I really want to find a "go to" cigar so i can buy a box, then carry on searching for more favourite smokes.I dont want my hobby to turn into a chore, i want to slide down the slope but it seems uphill at the mo!
I will keep trying,THIS WILL BE MY HOBBY!! I WILL SUCCEED! The genes of the gorilla are strong in me!:D

Many people talk about the Oliva V and the LFD DL and mention the spice or the butt kicking tendencies. I've recently tried both. I was kind of hesitant not wanting to ruin a great cigar smoking experience with too much pepper or feeling a buzz/queezy. I've tried mild cigars. Quickly moved to medium which I have found tatsty, but wanted to try full bodied to see what it was like and broaden my horizons. However, I didn't get any pepper from either one. Neither one kicked my butt either. And I was not running on a full stomache. Am I missing something? I've also had the LFG L400. Didn't do much either. What's up with my palette? I enjoyed them. Just didn't get out of it what everyone seems to have described. I'm used to being labeled as weird. :confused:
Just out of curiosity to you and others who did not find the LFD DL to generate a nicotine buzz, did you use other forms of tobacco prior to smoking cigars? My reason for asking is that use of cigarettes, dip or some of the real powerful pipe tobaccos such as the navy ropes can habituate you to the higher nicotine levels in the more powerful smokes. Other than this question, your taste buds are fine and fiercely independent.:tu

I know that any form of the V didn't seem to give a rediculously strong flavor or give me a nicotine buzz. A Mombacho Thermonuclear yesterday didn't give me too strong of a buzz at all, and I was going at that thing like no tomorrow.

Answering taltos' question, I never used any tobacco before I started smoking cigars, but I do live with a cigarette smoking parent and am always around cigarette smokers. That's probably why I can smoke 3 cigars in a day and still not have a buzz.

King1of3... I don't know how long you have been smoking, but your pallette will mature with time. Also, if you smoke a lot of cigars, getting flavors out of them can be a challenge. I smoked an oliva V belicoso the other day, and it was tasty, but not strong by any means. I consider myself a fairly seasoned cigar smoker, but the LFD 400 is not strong to me either. The LFD Chisel and chiselito on the other hand, will knock me on my ass every time.
Scott

To people not getting a buzz or not tasting spice, are you blowing some of the smoke out through your nose? This is how I get most of the flavors from the cigar, and seems to increase the buzz a little bit.

Looking forward to the Kingsford experience. LOL
Seriously, thanks for the tips. It is all well received.
Gorillas are great people.

Back