Best Cajun Seasoning for shrimp or crab boil?

althekillr

ChestBeater
a local restaurant called Boiling Crab has a pretty good crab and shrimp boil. I figure instead of paying $35 bucks for a crab I'll buy a $5 one and do it at home. They said the use Ragin Cajun, and they serve it in a platic bag filled with cajun sauce that inclues butter, lemon, garlic, and not sure about any other stuff. Anyone else have good reccomendations and/or links for where to purchase online. And or any good recipes for crab/shrimp boil techniques or recipes

Thanks.

a local restaurant called Boiling Crab has a pretty good crab and shrimp boil. I figure instead of paying $35 bucks for a crab I'll buy a $5 one and do it at home. They said the use Ragin Cajun, and they serve it in a platic bag filled with cajun sauce that inclues butter, lemon, garlic, and not sure about any other stuff. Anyone else have good reccomendations and/or links for where to purchase online. And or any good recipes for crab/shrimp boil techniques or recipes

Thanks.

PM me your addy......:D:D I'll fix you up

Yea, Joel will "hook" you up with the good stuff from the land of good eats! I did see some mudbugs being served the other day locally, just couldn't bring myself to order them. Only thing worse than none, is mudbugs done bad.

Yea, Joel will "hook" you up with the good stuff from the land of good eats! I did see some mudbugs being served the other day locally, just couldn't bring myself to order them. Only thing worse than none, is mudbugs done bad.

Man, you are right about that. I'd rather not have 'em than to have some of the sad excuses i've ran into.

Let me throw a little a little discussion in the mix:

Zatarain's Home Page .....
7142901570_sm.jpg

Old Bay's Home Page .....
img_seasoning.jpg

The few times I have tried rookie bugs they have been way over done to the point of rubber or breaking apart soft. Either way - nasty.

Man, you are right about that. I'd rather not have 'em than to have some of the sad excuses i've ran into.

No arguement on this post. Now shrimps/oysters might be a place to argue! Crabs are ok, but not the highest on my list.

That's really all you need to know (bit of sea salt mixed in is good). And forget the whole 'boiling' thing, crabs are meant to be steamed (with beer)! You want to cook a mudbug, ask a cajun, want to cook a crab? Ask a Marylander :D

Tony's is a good commercial brand. I prefer Emeril's shake a bit better. If you really want to try some good seasoning bags, set up a trade with some of the SLC. There are some off the wall, very small sesoning brands that are good. Almost like trying different cigars. Some are mild, some will make it like a volcanoe!

Can I share a few thoughts an the "Cajun" spices:

#1 - Texas Pete and Crystal do not constitute "hot sauce". They are way over sugared and too sweet.

#2 - If it originates from Avery Island - it has to be good. That would be the home of Tobassco to the unknowing. :tu

#3 - Same goes for New Iberia - Louisiana Hot sauce - yummie, many flavors.

#4 - "Hot" does not mean Cajun. If all it does is burn the tounge and mouth, then that just means it's hot. There are some awesome foods that are Southern/Cajun/Creole that are not hot, but are spicey. One example would be a gumbo. Two types I'm familiar with are okra based gumbo (has to be done just right or will be slimey) and file gumbo. Depending on your taste, a little file can go a long ways, but adds a great spice to the dish.

Tony's is a good commercial brand. I prefer Emeril's shake a bit better. If you really want to try some good seasoning bags, set up a trade with some of the SLC. There are some off the wall, very small sesoning brands that are good. Almost like trying different cigars. Some are mild, some will make it like a volcanoe!

Can I share a few thoughts an the "Cajun" spices:

#1 - Texas Pete and Crystal do not constitute "hot sauce". They are way over sugared and too sweet.

#2 - If it originates from Avery Island - it has to be good. That would be the home of Tobassco to the unknowing. :tu

#3 - Same goes for New Iberia - Louisiana Hot sauce - yummie, many flavors.

#4 - "Hot" does not mean Cajun. If all it does is burn the tounge and mouth, then that just means it's hot. There are some awesome foods that are Southern/Cajun/Creole that are not hot, but are spicey. One example would be a gumbo. Two types I'm familiar with are okra based gumbo (has to be done just right or will be slimey) and file gumbo. Depending on your taste, a little file can go a long ways, but adds a great spice to the dish.

This man speaks the troof :tpd:

Come to think of it, it might be time to induct you into the SLC crew :D:D

Born and raised there my friend. Although Alexandria is really mid LA. It's where my heart is! It's one of the most unique places I have lived and after 20 years in Uncle Sam's canoe club, I have been around.

This man speaks the troof :tpd:

Come to think of it, it might be time to induct you into the SLC crew :D:D

Born and raised there my friend. Although Alexandria is really mid LA. It's where my heart is! It's one of the most unique places I have lived and after 20 years in Uncle Sam's canoe club, I have been around.

Alexandria?!? Man that's practically mississippi.........:D:bn

Get a map you poor lost soul. It's dead center :) Born in redneck country though, Shreveport.

sorry, I'm a newbie to this. Not sure what you mean, is it a "boil in a bag" type thing? thanks.

"boil in a bag"- you can buy the seasoning in pouches which makes it easier to control how spicy the food is. The seasoning also comes in a big gallon container and you can put however much you would like in there. I put the whole gallon and then some in there for 1 sack of crawfish along with 3/4 of a bottle of crab boil amongst over things:D The real spice(heat wise) comes from crab boil. Its a very concentrated liquid. Very good stuff!

Don't worry brother you are in for a treat:tu

Back