Cao?

kansashat

What would Skeeter do?
Having no cigar buddies that I can actually talk to (my wife is always saying, I'm NOT your cigar buddy! ;) ), sometimes the proper pronounciation of words & names of cigars can be in question. I have a question.

I have a rather wealthy cigar smoking relative who I saw at Thanksgiving. He smokes some fine cigars like PAM's & OpusX. I gave him a DC #4 last year, which he was unfamiliar with. He asked me how much they were a box & I told him that I paid about $135 for a box of 15 (I know, you can get them cheaper). His response was, "good cigar."
Now, I don't know if he meant the cigar tastes good, or it must be good cause it cost $9 each, but he always talks about how much a cigar costs.

To make a long story short.....

This year I'm telling him about what is popular with most of us mere mortals :D & I give him a CAO Piranha. He said he had heard good things about CAO's, but pronounced it caio (chow) like the Italian word for goodbye. Now, the only exposure I get to the cigar world is right here & I've been calling them C-A-O's (see-ay-oh's) for along time.

Have I been pronouncing the name of this cigar incorrectly?

I'm no expert by any stretch Alan but every shop I've been to has pronounced them by the letters C-A-O..

kansashat said:
Having no cigar buddies that I can actually talk to (my wife is always saying, I'm NOT your cigar buddy! ;) ), sometimes the proper pronounciation of words & names of cigars can be in question. I have a question.

I have a rather wealthy cigar smoking relative who I saw at Thanksgiving. He smokes some fine cigars like PAM's & OpusX. I gave him a DC #4 last year, which he was unfamiliar with. He asked me how much they were a box & I told him that I paid about $135 for a box of 15 (I know, you can get them cheaper). His response was, "good cigar."
Now, I don't know if he meant the cigar tastes good, or it must be good cause it cost $9 each, but he always talks about how much a cigar costs.

To make a long story short.....

This year I'm telling him about what is popular with most of us mere mortals :D & I give him a CAO Piranha. He said he had heard good things about CAO's, but pronounced it caio (chow) like the Italian word for goodbye. Now, the only exposure I get to the cigar world is right here & I've been calling them C-A-O's (see-ay-oh's) for along time.

Have I been pronouncing the name of this cigar incorrectly?

LMAO No you have not been pronouncing it incorrectly, as CAO are the initials of the father and founder of the company Cano A. (Aret) Ozgener

Last edited:
C.A.O Saying each letter is correct.

I have a buddy that thought it was pronounced Ciao LOL

OpusEx said:
LMAO No you have not been pronouncing it incorrectly, as CAO are the initials of the father and founder of the company Cano A. (Aret) Ozgener

Well, see that's what I thought cause I knew that, but the smokeshops around here wouldn't know a CAO if it snuck up behind em & bit em on the ash. :r

Only thing I would ask, is if your relative could have in any way meant the CAO "ciao" which is a vitola that is part of the CAO Italia line?

kansashat said:
but the smokeshops around here wouldn't know a CAO if it snuck up behind em & bit em on the ash. :r

This is all to common, no matter where you are and what smokeshop you go into :c I'm on a personal mission to change that!

Since I have family in Canada (no offense to the fellow cunucks), I am used to words being pronounced different than the US. My family pronounces Delhi as Del-hī (Del-hai) and Celica as Cel-ee-ca and Weber as Weeber. Sounds wierd to me, but I'm not the pronunciation police.

A vendor was I was talking to about cigars says Poonch (Punch) and Co-hī-ba or Co-hai-ba (Cohiba).

Moglman said:
Since I have family in Canada (no offense to the fellow cunucks), I am used to words being pronounced different than the US. My family pronounces Delhi as Del-hī (Del-hai) and Celica as Cel-ee-ca and Weber as Weeber. Sounds wierd to me, but I'm not the pronunciation police.

A vendor was I was talking to about cigars says Poonch (Punch) and Co-hī-ba or Co-hai-ba (Cohiba).

Punch is pronounced: Poonch :)

kansashat said:
I have a rather wealthy cigar smoking relative... He smokes some fine cigars like PAM's & OpusX...He said he had heard good things about CAO's, but pronounced it caio

-if hes gifting pam's and opusx, he can say it how he likes
- i your gifting cao's, pronounce it how you like
- anyone who wants to gift me cao's, say it how you wish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the folks i know call them c.a.o

Back