China Cabinet Conversion into Humidor (work in progress)

Lorglath

Lowland Gorilla
Well, I love the look of Aristocrats so I decided to make a poor man's Aristocrat and convert a China Cabinet into a humidor... I just ordered the Spanish Cedar for it today, so it won't be done for some time, but I got a head start today so I figured I'd share.

The outside
CIMG0243.jpg

CIMG0244.jpg

Doors open
CIMG0245.jpg

CIMG0246.jpg

Top of the left side
CIMG0247.jpg

Bottom of the left side
CIMG0248.jpg

It comes with lights that I will be replacing with LED's as they create less heat to run, I can install them on each shelve level, and they are AWESOME
CIMG0249.jpg

Hole for the lights that still needs to be sealed up
CIMG0250.jpg

Initial placement of Clear finishing, low smell caulk
CIMG0251.jpg

What it looks like when wiped and still wet
CIMG0252.jpg

I sealed all of the openings on the inside aside from the glass as I feel it has a descent seal already, however if it fails to maintain humidity, that is the next step to seal, but I feel it is a wast right now. After I was done sealing the inside and wiping away the excess and pushing it down into the cracks I moved to the outside... back mostly.
CIMG0253.jpg

Don't forget the little cracks in the wood!
CIMG0254.jpg

And along the bottom.
CIMG0255.jpg

Like I said this is a work in progress, and I will take more photos as this comes along... when I finish I might link it all into one post for easy reference later on. Any questions / comments / concerns?

A nice piece of furniture that will look even better filled with cigars! Keep us updated on your progress. :tu

this is exactly what i want to do at my place.
i am searching for an nice oversized china closet so i can convert it myself into a humi.
i seen one done amazingly from a fellow at FOH. it is my inspiration.
this is a perfect cabinet to make into a humi. plus it will look great anywhere in the house!
good luck and please post pic's as you update it.
:tu

Yes yes lots of pictures please, How air tight do you want this ?

I finally got the wood in and started working on it so more pics will be up soon, I want it pretty darn air tight as I want it to keep the humidification for a while without dinking around too much with it.

-Matt

Here are some posts of me preparing the Spanish Cedar for placing into the Humi....

Seeing which edge was straighter to straighten with the table saw...
CIMG0423.jpg

Sawing the boards parallel
CIMG0435.jpg

Notice the pusher for safety and the goggles
CIMG0436.jpg

Next step is jointing the edges for a smooth gluing surface
CIMG0473.jpg

Take a few passes with a very thin setting to ensure you don't lose too much wood and it doesn't gouge the wood
CIMG0476.jpg

Use Wood Glue to join them together
CIMG0478.jpg

Measure to ensure the pieces are large enough
CIMG0450.jpg

Use clamps... make sure to use a piece of wood as a buffer if using metal clamps
CIMG0477.jpg

I set some weight on top to ensure that it doesn't pop up in the middle or bow...
CIMG0480.jpg

Another view of the clamps...
CIMG0481.jpg

I have been gluing 2 boards a day... at this rate I should be able to do some boards at the next step and keep gluing to get this project done in a hurry!!!

The reason it has taken so long to this point is that I closed on a new house on the 30th of June and spent my time fixing it up to move in ready condition so I could get out of my old place... Hope you all enjoy these and I will try to post the next update within a few days when some more progress is made! I am enjoying your comments so far so keep em up!!

-Matt

Back