Confused Newbie

flat6nut

Young Chimp
Hello gentlemen and sick freaks...

I am just a little overwelmed with all of the information. There are just so many threads and interlocking information that I am having conflicting ideas about which direction is best for me at the moment.

First, I am not just a newbie here but a newbie to the whole cigar thing. I do know that I have really enjoyed smoking the handful of cigars that I just purchased this past week. I also know that I am hooked and will need to make room for that slide.

So other than the handful of sticks i have, I planned on dropping into Tampa Sweethearts this week and buying a bundle of their cheap ones. I need something to smoke on a more regular basis that wont kill my small bank. Anyway, that brings me to the biggest question that I am confused about....and i really did use the search trying to find my answers.

With a limited budget...what would be better to store cigars in for me. A cheap humidor or would a coolidor end up cheaper. I dont think I could store a cooler anywhere "inside" my house without the wife going apeshite. I would think my garage would be way too humid and hot to store it there.

One of the reasons I ask is because I have read where people take cigars out of the freezer and put them into a cooler then put them into a humidor. I have also seen humidors inside coolers. I thought the cooler was just a different option from the humidor, only a cheaper one. Would a coolerdor have to be seasoned like a normal coolerdor? :r I really am sorry for the run on questions....but I did say I was feeling overwelmed with all the information.

Thanks for the patience guys... really trying hard not to post questions because i am sure some of you have heard it a million times.

:hnMichael

I say save yourself some money and time and invest in e cooler now. If you get as involved as it appears you will, youll end up needing the space sooner or later(probably sooner).

The biggest problem with the garage would be temperature. I would thing your garage would get pretty hot in tampa. I would try and find a closet or somewhere it can be out of site so the wife doesnt complain.

Welcome to the jungle... A cooler is the way to go. Start with a smaller one that will fit in your closet... I would get at least 50 qt though.

Tampa sweetheart #50 maduro robustos are great everyday smokes... pick up some Anejos while you are there for special occasion smokes...

Feel free to PM me at any time if you have questions or just want to talk about cigars...

I have 4 large "slideunder" plastic containers that I converted to humidors & keep them stacked, one on the other, in the bottom of my closet. They work great & many are designed to slide under the bed. Maybe the wife won't get too upset if it's out of sight?

One of the reasons I ask is because I have read where people take cigars out of the freezer and put them into a cooler then put them into a humidor. I have also seen humidors inside coolers. I thought the cooler was just a different option from the humidor, only a cheaper one. Would a coolerdor have to be seasoned like a normal coolerdor? :r I really am sorry for the run on questions....but I did say I was feeling overwelmed with all the information.
If you can't get a cooler, go with the largest humidor you can afford. Tupperware or gladware works great too. You can hide them in the way kansashat mentioned as well.

As for cooler questions, it's a cheaper way to get alot of storage space. Some freeze cigars for extra protection against tobacco beetles and use the cooler as a holding area before returning them to the humidor. I use coolers to store boxes, singles and a few desktop humidors to get them out of the way. Since coolers are plastic, there is no seasoning needed just a bath with some baking powder to get rid of the plastic smell.

I have read the large coolider threads, and the cheap cigar threads...I have prolly spent 20 hours just reading threads in the last 3 days here.
Whoever said the internet is bad has no idea of the massive amounts of great infor and people there are on it. Hell I met my wife 10 years ago on the internet. :D

The problem with closet space and under bed space is my wifes shoes.:r
I am sure i will figure out a place to put a cooler. The wife already said I should buy a humidor...but she really has no idea how expensive they are.
So I wont even go there yet...perhaps I can find something at the flea-market to convert as a project...or stmble upon a good deal for a good humidor.

Thanks for the quick responces.:tu

Michael

I have read the large coolider threads, and the cheap cigar threads...I have prolly spent 20 hours just reading threads in the last 3 days here.
Whoever said the internet is bad has no idea of the massive amounts of great infor and people there are on it. Hell I met my wife 10 years ago on the internet. :D

I am sure i will figure out a place to put a cooler. The wife already said I should buy a humidor...but she really has no idea how expensive they are.
So I wont even go there yet...perhaps I can find something at the flea-market to convert as a project...or stmble upon a good deal for a good humidor.

Thanks for the quick responces.:tu

Michael

Here's your reply, regarding your selection....
"Honey, this humidor doesn't cost 1/10th of what you've invested in these shoes."

Keep us posted and let's herf some time!!!!!

Hi; you've got some great replies here already. My 2cents will be to go for the cooler. You've seem to already starting your slide down the slope, and you'll eventually get one regardless one way or another. I started out with a small desktop humi, gained a second one, then a little cooler, then a larger cooler, and now another larger cooler with it all, and that middle cooler was used to then store the pipe tobacco from falling down that slope (and it's already been replaced). There's countless stories on here like that, so go ahead and good for a decent sided cooler; you can place them about anywhere where the temp isn't going to be too high; and it'll probably be best to be upfront with the wife about it (although, I can't necessary speak in that area yet).

As for smokes, a cheap, great tasting smoke are the Padron regular line (x000 series). The padron 2000 for a box of 26 will run from 70-85 depending on where you get them (TNT usually has good deals on the boxes).

If you have the tools and the patience. I converted an antique ice chest into a humidor. It sits in the rec. room and the wife doesn't mind seeing it every day. Unless you open it up, you would never know that it's a humidor.

If your budget can swing it, get a couple of these and use them as end tables.

Humidors

Michael

Maybe if you give us a couple of pictures of your closet area we would come up with some ideas. One trick if you have very limited storage space would be to get one of those hollow end tables. You should be able to find tupperdor type containers of the correct configuration to hide in there. (As for me, I have a closet of my own that is about half coolerdors and half clothes.) :hn

hey man, welcome! When I first started smoking I was in Afghanistan and had plenty of dollars to spare, but now on the budget, ain't so easy. What I do, is I'll stick 5-10-15 whatever I know I can spare from my paycheck into an envelope marked "cigars" and then after a few paychecks I'll have some dollars stacked up and depending on how long/how much I could put in, I've got the money to go box or at least 10 cigars. Coolerdor is the way I think I am going to go...

Back