Cutting or punching cigars..what do you prefer?

dentonparrots

Young Ape
I'm new to cigars and have both a cutter and a punch. I'm quite attracted to the punch as it leaves such a neat hole, and from the few times I've tried I've found that punched cigars aren't any heavier to draw on compared to those cut with proper cutters.

Which method do you seasoned cigar smokers prefer?

I tend to cut torpedos and punch everything else but I just bought a Palio so I have been cutting more and more lately.

I cut everything. I tend to notice I get more smoke with the cut and also dont get the buildup like I do on the inside of a punch.

I use a sharp pocket knife to carve out a round or V, depending on what cigar I have. Since I have a sharp blade on my keys (small Swiss army) I normally just use that.

I usually cut, since I have no punch cutter, but there've been some sticks lately that I wish I had punched. I punched my first cigar at the B&M the other day and liked the result, but I like the cut.

I have never used a punch at all... the idea never seemed my style I guess...

Now which cutter is a question that will go against the grain here...

I have been testing my Palio out and am not too fond of it... I Liked my xikar better. I haven't used the xikar in over a month to give the palio a chance... but this weekend I will use the xikar again to make a firm decision as to the winner... Then the other will be my backup! :r:D

I’m not a seasoned smoker, but here’s my :2 , some I cut with a guillotine and others with a v-cutter or punch. Try different ways and use what you like. :tu

I put on my ninja outfit sneak up behind it and slice it with a sword. They smoke better when they don't realize immediately they have been cut.

When I don't have time for all that I use a cutter.

Newbie here too... I cut. Do not have a punch. Are there any bene's to cutting over punching or visa-versa?

Pip

I used to cut all the time, just because I was too cheap to look at other options. Then I went for the punch and really liked it.

Lately though I have really enjoyed the V-cut. If I need more flow, I just grab the straight cutter and trim as needed.

V-cut all the way....until I change my mind again.

Jim

For me it varies...I mostly use my Palio for smaller RG cigars, but for larger ones I tend to use my punch, as I prefer a hole or cut no larger than about a corona size.

If necessary, to improve draw I will punch the center, then do a partial punch on either side to open the hole more. Some would say "just get a V-cutter", but one thing I like about a punch is the lack of tobacco bits left behind by most cutters.

For years I used a cheap, single blade cutter. A few years ago, I bought a punch and used it exclusively for several years. After joining CS and reading all about Palio, I finally bought one and use it all the time. A superior cut.! All those wasted years:hn The gorilla's were right on the money with their opinion on Palios.

WyoBob

Back